Books, Comics & Other Reading Material

Cathal

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
Just a general thread to discuss what everyone is reading, have recently read or even purchased.

Slowly but surely reading through Tom Felton's Beyond the Wand.
Really enjoying it. Would recommend it for any Harry Potter fan.
379193_63403121144f63.05933530_9781529149425_275x424.jpg

Reactions: JoE
Each book is a collection of his newspaper columns over a period of 2 to 3 years. If you like his brashness and sense of humour, you'll like these.

71d99yjO4rL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp__1.jpg

41xLoo4vR4L._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_ML2_.jpg

Just finished the first half/book - so far finding the way it looks at cognition super interesting.

Jumping back into Joe Abercrombie after finishing all the Sanderson Secret Novels.

Both good and bad to find references to known characters from the first series.

Really great writing and quite a unique world and style.

Attachments

• IMG_6869.jpeg
    IMG_6869.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 4
Busy reading this, Hackers - Heroes of the Computer Revolution (25th Anniversary) by Steven Levy

This 25th anniversary edition of Steven Levy's classic book traces the exploits of the computer revolution's original hackers -- those brilliant and eccentric nerds from the late 1950s through the early '80s who took risks, bent the rules, and pushed the world in a radical new direction. With updated material from noteworthy hackers such as Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Richard Stallman, and Steve Wozniak, Hackers is a fascinating story that begins in early computer research labs and leads to the first home computers.

1692806005034.png

So I really struggle with reading non-fiction stuff and need to do a lot of that for work lately and so wangled an Audible subscription with 24 credits with my development budget to see if it will help in taking things and working through them.

Seems to work quite well for the books I need to read for work and actually great for taking notes as I go as I can keep listening while writing.

Decided to use the credits for loosely work related development type stuff and ended up grabbing this Mark Manson - The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck and so far it’s exactly up my alley as “self help” type books go with plenty of laughs and downright outrageous counter culture statements and a lot of things I’ve always subscribed to but couldn’t quite put into words.

Never seen it before and now it's happened to both myself and my wife in the space of a few weeks:

Book.jpg

Just finished Masters of Doom.

Epic read if you were around during that period, or are just a Wolfenstein, Doom or Quake fan or are just into general gaming history.

Funny how so many of these pioneers were basically bonkers in some way.

Epic read if you were around during that period, or are just a Wolfenstein, Doom or Quake fan or are just into general gaming history.

Been on my wishlist for about a year now. Definitely going to buy it now.

1716981882257.png

Also keen on this one on Sierra Online

1716981942368.png

Ah cool, think I’ll check out that Sierra one.

I’m a huge fan of Sierra, had a big influence on me in my youth.

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Nostalgia is strong. I feel old now

Thoroughly enjoyed this. Nostalgia is strong. I feel old now
Yeah it’s interesting how many crazy things had to happen and align to get something like DOOM out.

I’ve started reading Blood, Sweat and Pixels. Not as good as Masters of DOOM but they hit on various games that had struggles.

I’ve also been listening to Lex Fridman interviewing Carmack. 5 hours lol, have to do it in chunks. The guy knows so much about so much.

Back
Top Bottom