The Solar / Inverter / Power thread

I am currently running at R5000 to R6000 per month for electricity and I want to bring that down considerably.

I have one of those big mofo air cons in the living room and two normal ones in two other rooms.

Two freezers and three fridges.

Washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher.

Two geysers (one is on solar).

It is a biggish four bedroom house.
Do you have a device to monitor you electricity for the house, like an Energy? This helps find out if have some heavy devices/appliances in the house.

Also, installing Geyser Wise on my geyser helped a lot as I could easily control the temp and schedule of the geyser.

I have Geyser Wise installed.

I think part of the problem is that I have three phase electricity, our whole estate has it.

Freezers and fridges I've come to learn use almost no power and neither do washing machines.

The big ones are the geyser, aircon and tumble dryer.

Dishwasher eats about 1.5 kWh per cycle and here something to learn is that "Eco" mode and low temperature makes almost no difference to power so run it on max so stuff gets properly clean.

Tumble Dryer is about 2.5 kWh for a full load on the "lite" mode, mine is however ancient and still very analog so I would think this is better on newer ones.

My big 18,000BTU aircon running all day on a very hot day will eat 12kWh easy peazy but on a more regular day uses 5-6 only but it's also an old non-inverter unit so this would be better on newer stuff.

My other smaller one uses 4-8 kWh but also both of these are in pretty big open plan spaces so not the most efficient setup.

Geyser now in summer only uses 4kWh but it's very strictly timed to only run from 11:00-18:30 and mostly used at night with me showering in the morning but I run a very cold shower so that's likely not going to work for most people.

@bokka1 the three phase should have no impact on how much power you use.

I'm taking the plunge soon too (possibly next week).
  1. 12kW Deye 3 Phase Inverter. I considered converting my house to single phase, but the cost and hassle of doing that versus the extra cost of lumping for a 3 PH inverter was nominal to me.
  2. 3 x 6.1 kWh EVO batteries (5.7 kW usable capacity)
  3. 12 x Jinko Solar Panels (545N/550/555N mentioned in the quote, but I'm embarrassed to say that I'm not sure which variant was chosen)
  4. WiFi enabled timers on my 2 geysers and on my pool pump.

My current daily usage ranges between 26-47kWh, with June 2023 (winter, of course) being the highest daily average month. There's an expectation of around 900 kWh generation from the system during the summer months. If I can get that in summer, I could replace the majority of my Eskom usage. My house's positioning/roof scored very highly on LookSee, so I'm hoping for good generation.

Edit to add my usage items:

3 x aircons of which 2 are older non-inverter types (9000 BTU LG Nano 950-1000w) in my daughters' bedrooms and an inverter based aircon (24000 BTU) in the main bedroom
1 x 0.75kW Pool pump (4 hours a day from 9AM to 13:00, but I might reduce that period to 3 hours in summer and then an 1h30m in winter)
2 x Geysers
1 x large fridge/freezer
2 x bar fridges
1 x relatively newish washing machine (bough it in 2017 or 2018 so it had some energy efficiency built in)
1 x relatively newish dishwasher with energy efficiency built in (don't use the 4h eco option that much, though)

Last edited:
I am on my first day of full solar, will check my usage after a few days.

I am now now on minimal grid power, these 2 x 10kwh looks very capable of lasting us a cycle without Eskom.

Reactions: GB9
I am on my first day of full solar, will check my usage after a few days.

I am now now on minimal grid power, these 2 x 10kwh looks very capable of lasting us a cycle without Eskom.
A better test of the system will be when we are shifted to stage 4 and higher (more frequent slots through the day and night, especially in winter). You'd probably be better off with another 10kWh battery then and perhaps more panels for those winter days.

A better test of the system will be when we are shifted to stage 4 and higher (more frequent slots through the day and night, especially in winter). You'd probably be better off with another 10kWh battery then and perhaps more panels for those winter days.

Ja, my plan is to get an extra battery down the line if needed.

Ja, my plan is to get an extra battery down the line if needed.
Are you finding yourself monitoring the app frequently in your first week? 😁

I just know that I’m going to analyse the sheet out of my setup once it’s installed! At least for the first week or two.

Are you finding yourself monitoring the app frequently in your first week? 😁

I just know that I’m going to analyse the sheet out of my setup once it’s installed! At least for the first week or two.

Ja, I am on a solar crash course.

Looking at everything now I should have put more solar panels east facing, I have capacity to add 5 panels on my inverter, I will monitor my Eskom usage and make a decision later. Thus far I have used minimal Eskom power.

We post this on my solar group to every new member..

It’s time now to have the talk with the Family at home..

They need to change their behaviour, usage at night needs to be minimised, and not be wasteful

At the same time usage in the day needs to be maximized and on very good Sunny days to use more electricity then they could ever imagine but to be mindful that one cloud can take the freedom away.

You need to be strong insults will be thrown at you things like :

"If you love that battery so much why dont you Mary it."

"We didn't spend over Rxxxk and expect to have a shower at a specific time like this is a f***ing prison."

"I don't give a f*** that production is very high / low today"

"Will you stop looking at that f***ing app, honestly it would be better if you were having an affair"

Be strong my friends.

Going smaller this new house, previous was 7kW panels, 8kW inverter and 10kWh batteries.

Now installing a Sunsynk 5kW inverter and a 5kWh Sunsynk battery. Solar will be later this year. Will put the geyser on non essential and replace with a solar geyser later.

On special the Sunsynk combo installed with CoC is R60k. Seems like a good deal.

Reactions: JoE
What innovative advancements are on the horizon for improving the efficiency and accessibility of solar panels, ultimately accelerating their widespread adoption as a primary source of renewable energy?

What innovative advancements are on the horizon for improving the efficiency and accessibility of solar panels, ultimately accelerating their widespread adoption as a primary source of renewable energy?
I've seen a few things about Perovskite based panels being very good but it's been a while and like all these things, unless you can get them mass produced cheaply then it's not going to happen. Not sure where they are at with this now. Maybe i should do a catchup.

Going smaller this new house, previous was 7kW panels, 8kW inverter and 10kWh batteries.

Now installing a Sunsynk 5kW inverter and a 5kWh Sunsynk battery. Solar will be later this year. Will put the geyser on non essential and replace with a solar geyser later.

On special the Sunsynk combo installed with CoC is R60k. Seems like a good deal.

That’s a great deal. I’m durbs you’re doing well if you getting that for under R75k.

I'm about to do similar, but Deye with Volta battery... R50k all-in.
Have dealt with the company before and I like them.
Happy to share the details if you haven't already committed.

I am very happy with my installation but my 20kwh batteries are going to struggle in the winter as our power usage is a lot. We go from 100% to 40% most nights.

I’m using Solar Hermanus this time and already ordered. They also have a R50k deal but I’m used to Sunsynk so would rather stick with the brand.

Their cheaper deal:

1709815046978.png

The Sunsynk also has a bit more output and storage:

1709815229133.png

Last edited:
I am very happy with my installation but my 20kwh batteries are going to struggle in the winter as our power usage is a lot. We go from 100% to 40% most nights.

Same, getting a 3rd 5kwh battery added on Friday, for Summer that 15kwhr should have us off the grid 95% of the time. Will wait and see what Winter brings.

I’m using Solar Hermanus this time and already ordered. They also have a R50k deal but I’m used to Sunsynk so would rather stick with the brand.

Their cheaper deal:

View attachment 1419

Looks good... pretty similar to Mirua who are the guys I used for my office and impressed me more than the bigger company that did my home.

I stuck with Deye for the same reason you're sticking with Sunsynk. Easier to manage one platform.

Does the Deye have fans, looks like it from the promo pic I posted. My 8kW Sunsynk had fans. The 5kW is silent. I installed the 8kW outside as the house was too small and didn’t want noise inside. This time it’s going inside so prefer silent.

Back
Top Bottom