Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 143031323334

Thread: Rooting, custom ROM's and apps for noobs

Gaming Wizard
    Praise Lord GabeN
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Shiverz View Post
    Just got the best battery life yet on Nitrogen OS on the Redmi Note 3. Almost 2 days with 6 hours screen on! Not bad at all for a CM based Rom.
    That is very good. I'm still getting over 4 hours screen-on time with my OnePlus One, and I bought it within 30 days of release (May 2014). It used to be over 6 hours, but it's been nearly 3 years now.

Considering how much more power efficient mobile processors are now and how battery performance hasn't really improved over my phone, it shows what an utter disgrace bloatware is. Basically ruins phones. It also shows what a joke it is that Google hasn't yet implemented the main point behind rooting devices - to run software like Greenify and take control over what runs in the background.

Another thing that anyone can do to improve battery life is to not run the most bloated apps of them all - Facebook and Twitter. Rather use Swipe Pro for Facebook and Fenix for Twitter. As it happens they're also much better apps than the stock ones.

Addicted Member
    I am one with the Force. The Force is with me.
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Pies View Post
    It also shows what a joke it is that Google hasn't yet implemented the main point behind rooting devices - to run software like Greenify and take control over what runs in the background.
    If you can just swap out the battery on the OPO somehow you'll be alright. No real need to upgrade that yet.

I thought Doze was Google's answer to Greenify?

Gaming Wizard
    Praise Lord GabeN
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Shiverz View Post
    If you can just swap out the battery on the OPO somehow you'll be alright. No real need to upgrade that yet.

I thought Doze was Google's answer to Greenify?
    Doze is a joke. It takes too long to activate and allows almost anything to wake the device. Only once I started running Amplify, which prevents excessive wakes and provides great stats, could I truly see how horrifying the situation is on Android. The number of wakes is just insane - so far beyond what is necessary. I slashed the number of allowed wakes per minute drastically and it made ZERO difference to my notifications. Telegram, WhatsApp, email etc. all came through as usual. This improves battery life during actual phone use, but also makes a massive difference while the phone is inactive.

This is because all reputable apps use Android's GCM (notification) network. So instead of all your apps constantly phoning home to see if anything has happened, only the Android system checks the GCM once a minute or so and almost all apps stay hibernated. If a GCM notification comes through, the app concerned is woken up and you get the message in good time. How the f**k has Android not adopted this way of doing things, as Apple has? It is such an obvious means of preserving battery life.

Don't think I can get a new battery. OnePlus One batteries are non-removable and it's not exactly a current phone.

Experience

1) root
    2) install xposed
    3) install Amplify (with donation)
    4) install Greenify (with donation)
    @Shiverz
    They are similar except doze takes ages to kick in as the phone mustn't be moved or used for over 1 hour (to my knowledge). Greenify will doze a few minutes after screen off even if phone is moving around.

If you guys want to go another step further, install Power Nap which is a 3rd party implementation of Sony Stamina.
    Last edited by AdrianH; March 19th, 2017 at 02:43 PM.

Addicted Member
    I am one with the Force. The Force is with me.
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
    1) root
    2) install xposed
    3) install Amplify (with donation)
    4) install Greenify (with donation)
    @Shiverz
    They are similar except doze takes ages to kick in as the phone mustn't be moved or used for over 1 hour (to my knowledge). Greenify will doze a few minutes after screen off even if phone is moving around.

If you guys want to go another step further, install Power Nap which is a 3rd party implementation of Sony Stamina.
    I'm just dumfounded...

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 143031323334