Page 1 of 27 1234521 ... LastLast

Thread: No local servers - CPA complaint.

Experience

Lightbulb No local servers - CPA complaint.

Hi guys,

I logged a complaint with Apex Interactive (Local distributors of EA games) about Titanfall not having any local servers at the time of it going retail in South Africa.

Good day,

Titanfall which is set for release in March this year (2014), across multiple platforms, will be a multiplayer only game which hosting servers are not located in South Africa.

How will Apex be informing consumers about the fact that the experience will be diminished when the product is used locally?

I refer to Consumer’s rights to safe, good quality goods, section 55 of the National Consumer Act. It is my understanding that consumers have the right to be informed of any diminished qualities a product may contain. In the case of this product, no local facilities are in place in order to support the play experience sufficiently and thus the supplier (As informed by BT Games) has to make effort to inform the consumer of this.

I am going to drive this one hard, it's time publishers realize that if they decide to treat emerging markets this way by selling goods which don't have any infrastructure in place they will be forced to brand their products with this information. Perhaps applying consumer pressure suppliers will in turn put pressure on the publishers to give more effort in ensuring proper infrastructure is in place prior to selling products.

Would appreciate the community's thoughts on this.
    Games: Oblivion Platinum, LBP, RB6V2, SFIV, Turok, GRAW2

gaming informed.

2. Saying Thanks:

$eR8Ed (February 3rd, 2014),  Coldcat (February 3rd, 2014),  MoFaan (February 7th, 2014),  scienide (February 3rd, 2014),  Seth (February 18th, 2014),  Spyro (March 7th, 2014),  Uberutang (February 3rd, 2014)  

Game IDs
    Experience

What games on console do have local servers?

Super Moderator
    Best Mod 2010 + 2011
    "Curiosity killed the cat, Satisfaction brought it back!"
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by MJ INC View Post
    What games on console do have local servers?
    Gears of War.

Oupa
    nuclear
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Coldcat View Post
    Gears of War.
    Not since 2012.

You're not going to get anywhere logging a CPA complaint as the distributor is just a distributor. They don't have any control over the software itself.
    Last edited by Strifehart; February 3rd, 2014 at 01:21 PM.

6. Saying Thanks:

Coldcat (February 3rd, 2014),  Gouko_Tenrou (February 3rd, 2014),  Matty (February 3rd, 2014),  MaXiM (February 3rd, 2014),  Rayne (February 3rd, 2014)  

Oupa
    Most Prolific Poster of 2013
    Understanding this messed up world
    Game IDs
    Experience

In the case of this product, no local facilities are in place in order to support the play experience sufficiently and thus the supplier (As informed by BT Games) has to make effort to inform the consumer of this.
    @psuno, I get what your trying to do but how are they suppose to warn people about no local servers if the game is not out yet?

Oupa
    nuclear
    Game IDs
    Experience

What's next? Complaints about no local World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, etc servers?

9. Saying Thanks:

Gouko_Tenrou (February 3rd, 2014)  

Experience

@psuno is correct in what he is doing, he only wants them to indicate the fact that there is or is no local servers and that this might impact the "playability/experience" of the multiplayer part of the game! We as gamers/consumers makes peace with a situation far to easy! I for one can't remember when last I had a very good evening playing BF4 and partly due to s1tty connections!

11. Saying Thanks:

Neptune (February 14th, 2014)  

Oupa
    nuclear
    Game IDs
    Experience

I'd be more concerned about the fact that the game has a 6vs6 player cap and no single player campaign.

And that it's priced at a standard retail price.

13. Saying Thanks:

Azure Wrath (February 7th, 2014),  Gouko_Tenrou (February 3rd, 2014),  MAVADO (February 12th, 2014),  scienide (February 3rd, 2014),  Uberutang (February 3rd, 2014)  

Oupa
    Most Prolific Poster of 2013
    Understanding this messed up world
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by lost son View Post
    @psuno is correct in what he is doing, he only wants them to indicate the fact that there is or is no local servers and that this might impact the "playability/experience" of the multiplayer part of the game! We as gamers/consumers makes peace with a situation far to easy! I for one can't remember when last I had a very good evening playing BF4 and partly due to s1tty connections!
    OK

So they should start warning everybody who buys COD and BF since the console versions don't have local servers the last time that I checked?
    Last edited by Gouko_Tenrou; February 3rd, 2014 at 01:36 PM.

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Gouko_Tenrou View Post
    OK

So they should start warning everybody who buys COD and BF since the console versions don't have local servers the last time that I checked?
    Yes. Simple as that. If the experience is going to be knowingly diminished it has to be declared to the consumer.

You might know that COD and BF doesn't have local infrastructure, but do average consumers? Do they know they are paying full retail pricing for a product which does not equate to the same quality of one marketed to other markets?

They don't. That is why there is a consumer protection act, it protects the consumer, it isn't the consumers job to know that the product they buy will not perform as advertised, it is the suppliers'.
    Last edited by psuno; February 3rd, 2014 at 01:41 PM.
    Games: Oblivion Platinum, LBP, RB6V2, SFIV, Turok, GRAW2

gaming informed.

16. Saying Thanks:

$eR8Ed (February 3rd, 2014),  Matty (February 3rd, 2014),  Neptune (February 14th, 2014),  scienide (February 3rd, 2014),  Uberutang (February 3rd, 2014),  wadrin (February 7th, 2014)  

Page 1 of 27 1234521 ... LastLast