Thread: Fiber questions part 2

Experience

Default Fiber questions part 2

Hi everyone

So i have a question about fiber. So a few months ago in august last year. Guys come to house to install these fiber box or fiber connecters. Do excuse me for the term i am using.

I know this because i asked them what they were installing and they said fiber.

Now its feb and ive asked telkom if fiber is avalible in my area. Ive checked most of the service providers and they say its not avalible but will be soon.

Ive read the other post on fiber but it doesnt help .

Does anyone know if this is the correct box for fiber and who installed it by looking at the box.

Would be appreaciated20170217_121339.jpg

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Shufflemau5 View Post
    Hi everyone

So i have a question about fiber. So a few months ago in august last year. Guys come to house to install these fiber box or fiber connecters. Do excuse me for the term i am using.

I know this because i asked them what they were installing and they said fiber.

Now its feb and ive asked telkom if fiber is avalible in my area. Ive checked most of the service providers and they say its not avalible but will be soon.

Ive read the other post on fiber but it doesnt help .

Does anyone know if this is the correct box for fiber and who installed it by looking at the box.

Would be appreaciated20170217_121339.jpg
    Unsure about who installed that as many people could use the same supplier. Telkom installed boxes like these before our Fibre was installed, ours was however underground.

The box is where the fibre backbone meets the Fibre that goes to your individual house, so they generally lay the backbone first till its completed 100% then they will prepare themselves for the residential installations. So your first point of investigation would be to see what area they are planning to cover with the "core" fibre. Once that is completed and the fibre is tested then only do they being contacting residences for installation to their properties. You will then either get a call or would need to apply for the installation in which the fibre would then go from a box like that to your house and will be spliced and fused onto the "core" fibre giving you connectivity.

It took us around 3 months after these black boxes were installed for them to contact us and tell us they are ready to do the installation to our houses. Due to us staying in a more modern estate the entire rollout was just under 6 months.