Thread: How do I drop my youtube video quality on PS4

Game IDs
    Experience

Default How do I drop my youtube video quality on PS4

Hi Guys,

I have searched high and low but am unable to find a way of dropping the quality of my youtube videos on the ps4.

I would like to save the bandwidth and be able to watch Netflix whilst the kids watch youtube.

The ps4 video quality constantly remains on HD and I have found no method of dropping the quality.

Any help would be appreciated.

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by R3bbit View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have searched high and low but am unable to find a way of dropping the quality of my youtube videos on the ps4.

I would like to save the bandwidth and be able to watch Netflix whilst the kids watch youtube.

The ps4 video quality constantly remains on HD and I have found no method of dropping the quality.

I wish I knew the answer but how about trying lowering your consoles resolution and give it a try?
    Drop it to 480p and see if HD removed, if it works you could always just drop resolution whenever you wish to use YouTube.

Super Moderator
    Best Mod 2010 + 2011
    "Curiosity killed the cat, Satisfaction brought it back!"
    Game IDs
    Experience

save video file to usb, then drop res in an video editing program on your PC then upload.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Coldcat View Post
    save video file to usb, then drop res in an video editing program on your PC then upload.
    Hi Coldcat,

Thanks for the reply. This is only for viewing youtube on the ps4 not for uploading or streaming.

Regards

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Row-_S View Post
    I wish I knew the answer but how about trying lowering your consoles resolution and give it a try?
    Drop it to 480p and see if HD removed, if it works you could always just drop resolution whenever you wish to use YouTube.
    Hi Row,

Thanks for the reply, I hear you. You are indicating that the PS4 youtube app is detecting the video quality on my tv and then attempting to stream to me at that specific resolution.

This could help, thanks I will give it a try.

Regards

Super Moderator
    Best Mod 2010 + 2011
    "Curiosity killed the cat, Satisfaction brought it back!"
    Game IDs
    Experience

aahh, Ok, Something I have an issue with, Trying to get quality up and keeps dropping. Your app detects the bandwidth, if your line is taking strain from other usage it should drop.

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by R3bbit View Post
    Hi Guys,

You can't adjust it on console. Your line speed will determine the quality of the videos.

Experience

Are you watching Netflix on a separate device? If so, maybe look at enabling QOS on your router giving the Netflix device highest priority and the PS a lower priority.

In my house, my Roku media players are on highest QOS priority. Then my phones and tablets are 2nd highest. Then the rest are on default. I can watch HD Netflix on Roku while Xbox downloads with any issues.

Game IDs
    Experience

Thanks Adrian,

Unfortunately my router gives very limited and extremely complex qos options.

I was just looking for a simple method of reducing the quality of the youtube stream on PS4 to save bandwidth. The HD is so unnecessary for normal youtube viewing and impacts the rest of the houses streaming speeds.