Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another which monitor to get... but different.

Game IDs
    Experience

Default Another which monitor to get... but different.

Howsit it guys,

I know there are plenty of these threads but none are of the budget range.

There are two things I require (read want) to "complete" my pc, a new monitor and card (will come at a later stage).
    I currently have a syncMaster 2693HM so I think any new monitor will be an upgrade lol.

I want to spend +- 3K as I only have a 1060 3GB and I'm fine with 1080P.
    The 3 that I'm considering are:

Dell SE2717H https://www.evetech.co.za/dell-se271...deal/2527.aspx
    LG 25UM58-P https://www.evetech.co.za/lg-25um58-...deal/2079.aspx
    LG 29UM68 https://www.evetech.co.za/lg-29um68-...deal/2944.aspx

Will it be worth it to go ultra wide?

Experience

I just ordered that Dell today. It's good for my needs as I'm currently on a 27 inch TN Samsung (which will be used for another PC) and I would like IPS and FreeSync.

What is wrong with your current monitor? Aside from it being TN, none of the monitors you listed would be a major upgrade, unless you want ultrawide, which I don't like because of its finicky support.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by LazyDemoni View Post
    I just ordered that Dell today. It's good for my needs as I'm currently on a 27 inch TN Samsung (which will be used for another PC) and I would like IPS and FreeSync.

What is wrong with your current monitor? Aside from it being TN, none of the monitors you listed would be a major upgrade, unless you want ultrawide, which I don't like because of its finicky support.
    To be honest, there is nothing wrong with it, I just want something new and less bulky. Would the IPS not have a better picture quality?

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Keanan23 View Post
    To be honest, there is nothing wrong with it, I just want something new and less bulky. Would the IPS not have a better picture quality?
    Yup, it's supposed to have better image quality and better viewing angles. This will be my first IPS panel. I like the stand on your current monitor. The Dell has only got a tilt stand with no mount for other stands. I also had to buy an HDMI switch as it only has one HDMI port and I'll be using it for my consoles. Hopefully I get it this week!

I know some people love those LGs but for me it will get annoying if games don't support the resolution properly e.g. Overwatch.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by LazyDemoni View Post
    Yup, it's supposed to have better image quality and better viewing angles. This will be my first IPS panel. I like the stand on your current monitor. The Dell has only got a tilt stand with no mount for other stands. I also had to buy an HDMI switch as it only has one HDMI port and I'll be using it for my consoles. Hopefully I get it this week!

I know some people love those LGs but for me it will get annoying if games don't support the resolution properly e.g. Overwatch.
    For me the stand is too bulky, because of it the monitor takes up too much space. That is actually the main reason I want a new one. I would like something with a better picture quality.

I read that here somewhere think it was @StarBound that mentioned it. That is my only concern. I am playing Wildlands 90% of the time.

Game IDs
    Experience

I will be waiting for a 5120*2160, uhd ultrawide ips, gsync monitor when ever that may be. I don't ever see myself going back to 16:9. I currently use an LG 25" 2560*1080 ultrawide which is narrow but works.

Experience

I'm trying to wrap my head around what you are saying about wanting a less bulky monitor but ultrawide will always take up more space. Out of the 3 you linked I would go for the LG 29UM68.

The pixel response time is not 4ms so its a bit slower than a true gaming monitor. It has 2 HDMI ports, a display port which you will want to use and then another port which I never look at after seeing HDMI and DP. I'm guessing at 29" your pixel density will match that of a 24" FHD screen so around that height of a 24" monitor but wider. Unfortunately its only freesync and not gsync so you will be hitting that 60fps marker.

Remember that a lot of your content will have black bars but any good first person game will use the full screen.

There is a minor saving grace that might not be gsync but in your nvidia control panel there is a option under vsync called "fast". I would recommend using that as your global setting as it does what vsync does with less input lag.
    LG OLED 55E6V|z5500
    Xbone - PS4 Pro - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post
    I'm trying to wrap my head around what you are saying about wanting a less bulky monitor but ultrawide will always take up more space. Out of the 3 you linked I would go for the LG 29UM68.

The pixel response time is not 4ms so its a bit slower than a true gaming monitor. It has 2 HDMI ports, a display port which you will want to use and then another port which I never look at after seeing HDMI and DP. I'm guessing at 29" your pixel density will match that of a 24" FHD screen so around that height of a 24" monitor but wider. Unfortunately its only freesync and not gsync so you will be hitting that 60fps marker.

Remember that a lot of your content will have black bars but any good first person game will use the full screen.

There is a minor saving grace that might not be gsync but in your nvidia control panel there is a option under vsync called "fast". I would recommend using that as your global setting as it does what vsync does with less input lag.
    The panel itself is bulky, especially with the stand. Not talking about the actual size of the screen.

For its price tag I don't expect anything fancy and not bothered about gsync. Sure it would be nice but that won't happen anytime soon.
    The black bars is a bit of a put off though.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by cuberclops View Post
    I will be waiting for a 5120*2160, uhd ultrawide ips, gsync monitor when ever that may be. I don't ever see myself going back to 16:9. I currently use an LG 25" 2560*1080 ultrawide which is narrow but works.
    Is that the 25" that I linked? How do you find it? The ultra wide is appealing but the black bars is a concern.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Keanan23 View Post
    Is that the 25" that I linked? How do you find it? The ultra wide is appealing but the black bars is a concern.
    Yip same 1. You get used to the black bars for games that don't support 21:9 res. Bluray movies have no black bars which is great. Screen real estate is great too if you have multiple windows open at the same time and if you are going to get an ultrawide do yourself a favour by not getting anything less than 29".

25" ultrawide - roughly same height as a 16:9 20"
    29" ultrawide - roughly same height as a 16:9 23"
    34" ultrawide - roughly same height as a 16:9 27"

11. Saying Thanks:

Keanan23 (December 5th, 2017)  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast