Page 205 of 212 FirstFirst ... 105155185201202203204205206207208209 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 2111

Thread: LCD, LED and Plasma Bargains

Very Senior Member
    Now drop on the deck and flop like a fish
    Experience

Ok, not really sure where to post this but here goes:

So I have had my Samsung Plasma 43" TV since about 2010, this morning when I turned it on there was one solid black horizontal line of dead pixels. I turned it on and off with some cables plugged out and then on about the 5th attempt when I turned it on, there was another new black line as well about 2cm away from the first one. I have a about 50 3d blurays but from what I can tell 3d is no longer supported by the newer models. I also regularly use my television on older consoles (Wii, Wii U, PS3, Sega Megadrive, etc). What model should I be looking at to replace this one and where would be the best places to look for a second hand TV? Also are there warning signs to look out for when buying one second hand? I have another 40" Samsung LCD (which is even older than the plasma) and the problem with the TV is basically that the built in media player at that time is VERY buggy and crashes quite often when playing media files and doesn't support 3d (but at least it is full HD).

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UnforgivN View Post

So I have had my Samsung Plasma 43" TV since about 2010, this morning when I turned it on there was one solid black horizontal line of dead pixels. I turned it on and off with some cables plugged out and then on about the 5th attempt when I turned it on, there was another new black line as well about 2cm away from the first one. I have a about 50 3d blurays but from what I can tell 3d is no longer supported by the newer models. I also regularly use my television on older consoles (Wii, Wii U, PS3, Sega Megadrive, etc). What model should I be looking at to replace this one and where would be the best places to look for a second hand TV? Also are there warning signs to look out for when buying one second hand? I have another 40" Samsung LCD (which is even older than the plasma) and the problem with the TV is basically that the built in media player at that time is VERY buggy and crashes quite often when playing media files and doesn't support 3d (but at least it is full HD).
    Black Friday is on its way(24 Nov), look out for specials, there should be TV specials all over the place.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UnforgivN View Post

Ok as for tvs with 3D functionality i would suggest looking at local Facebook buy and sell groups. You can usually find people selling TVs on those sort of groups (which post on their and not Gumtree due to scams). Even posting a wanted advert for what u are looking might work.

Otherwise only the lower end cheaper brands seem to support 3D these days. Check out HiFi corporation for some examples. Otherwise go into any Hirshes store close to you and speak to the reps about which units have 3D functionality. If anything you need to create a baseline from which brands you need to focus on.

4. Saying Thanks:

UnforgivN (November 15th, 2017)  

Addicted Member
    Dude'er than you!
    Game IDs
    Experience

I know this is a Samsung orgy in this thread.
    I got a R20k budget and went with a USB stick some content and a plan.
    I tested out Samsung, JVC, Hisense, LG, Telefunken and a Skyworth or something (Nice OS - seems pure android but that's about it.)

Imho the LGSJ800v and SJ850v Super UHD with Nano Cell tech range, to me at least is superior to the Samsung MU7000 and MU8000/KS8000.

Input lag in game mode is like 15ms some of the best in the business.(Checked reviews after I went to the store) To me the colors looked more natural, and the motion seems better.
    The blacks are not as black as the Samsung's but its really black enough when viewing in any room with a bit of light BUT it's better if viewing from anything of an angle. HDR10, SLG and Dolby Vision HDR. It packs one hell of a punch. Plus...it's imported, apparently Samsungs are locally put together and our model numbers aren't even the same panels as the ones reviewed on youtube etc.
    I really liked the OS as well and i'm not only talking about the Netflix and stuff. Just the way it's done and the features.
    The sound is suprisingly good for a TV speaker...but we all put some sort of 5.1 / soundbar generally...just surprisingly nice for a tv speaker.

I went with the idea that I'm going to buy a Samsung MU8000 or KS8500 (I still have a 50" Samsung 6 series Plasma that did very well and it still kicks the ass of the colors and motion on these LED panels imho) I am not gonna blow R30k+ on an OLED but yeah...for me, the LG took it for me.
    I'm still making up my mind but currently i'm leaning heavily to the LG as it's also R5k cheaper.
    If they had the 3 year warranty it would have been the icing on the cake.

But yeah....i'm probably going to go for the LG as I'm sitting here.

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Havok ZA View Post
    I know this is a Samsung orgy in this thread.
    I got a R20k budget and went with a USB stick some content and a plan.
    I tested out Samsung, JVC, Hisense, LG, Telefunken and a Skyworth or something (Nice OS - seems pure android but that's about it.)

Imho the LGSJ800v and SJ850v Super UHD with Nano Cell tech range, to me at least is superior to the Samsung MU7000 and MU8000/KS8000.

Input lag in game mode is like 15ms some of the best in the business.(Checked reviews after I went to the store) To me the colors looked more natural, and the motion seems better.
    The blacks are not as black as the Samsung's but its really black enough when viewing in any room with a bit of light BUT it's better if viewing from anything of an angle. HDR10, SLG and Dolby Vision HDR. It packs one hell of a punch. Plus...it's imported, not locally put together like the Samsungs.
    I really liked the OS as well and i'm not only talking about the Netflix and stuff. Just the way it's done and the features.
    The sound is suprisingly good for a TV speaker...but we all put some sort of 5.1 / soundbar generally...just surprisingly nice for a tv speaker.

I went with the idea that I'm going to buy a Samsung MU8000 or KS8500 (I still have a 50" Samsung 6 series Plasma that did very well and it still kicks the ass of the colors and motion on these LED panels imho) I am not gonna blow R30k+ on an OLED but yeah...for me, the LG took it for me.
    I'm still making up my mind but currently i'm leaning heavily to the LG as it's also R5k cheaper.
    If they had the 3 year warranty it would have been the icing on the cake.

But yeah....i'm probably going to go for the LG as I'm sitting here.
    Would the LG really be better than the KS8500?

Addicted Member
    Dude'er than you!
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by brianstephan View Post
    Would the LG really be better than the KS8500?
    I looked at both and imho - yes.The Sony / Samsung brigade will probably call me a heretic - idgaf, but what I saw the LGSJ800v/850v beat out the Samsung 8000/8500 7000 TV's

Also I don't like curved screens.

The KS9000 Samsung is really nice... but almost R9000 more expensive in the sizes I am looking at, plus it was a display model since they dont have more stock they would have given me discount on it ...meh.
    So if you want to go Samsung, look if you can find the KS9000 leftover stock perhaps. Great looking TV
    Last edited by Havok ZA; November 16th, 2017 at 04:52 PM.

Experience

I looked at both and imho - yes.
    Also I don't like curved screens.

The KS9000 Samsung is really nice... but almost R9000 more expensive in the sizes I am looking at, plus it was a display model since they dont have more stock they would have given me discount on it ...meh.
    So if you want to go Samsung, look if you can find the KS9000 leftover stock perhaps. Great looking TV
    My dad has the 65inch KS9500 and it's an awesome tv payed R40k ebucks for it.

Have never looked at the LG but apparently you need a very high end LG tv to make up for the KS.

Addicted Member
    Dude'er than you!
    Game IDs
    Experience

Have never looked at the LG but apparently you need a very high end LG tv to make up for the KS.
    The 9000 KS yes.. not the KS8000 / 7000.
    KS is the Year model. MU is the new KS.
    The 9000 number is what's important and yeah...its a very good TV imho.

So in a nutshell Sam MU/KS 9000 > LG SJ850v > SJ800v > Sam MU/KS 8000 > Sam MU/KS 7000 > LG770v imho.
    I'm not gonna pay silly money though, and I'm not a "professional TV calibration" that dont see the movie but sit and watches slight variations of a pixel that does not have IPC3 on the recommended spec or some ****.
    It must look as good as possible without lag and streaks, have nice colors and don't cost me a second bond.

Game IDs
    Experience

Picture quality wise the LG LCDs can't match the Samsungs, but they've got the widest HDR support and what many consider to be the best smart platform.

The 9000 KS yes.. not the KS8000 / 7000.
    KS is the Year model. MU is the new KS.
    The QLEDs are the new KS, the MUs are the new KUs.
    Last edited by KenMasters; November 16th, 2017 at 05:01 PM.

11. Saying Thanks:

creemyv (Yesterday)  

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    The QLEDs are the new KS, the MUs are the new KUs.
    According to the Samsung people I dealt with regarding my faulty KS8000, there is no replacement for the KS line this year. They say QLED is a whole new thing entirely.

My next TV will definitely not be a Samsung.

Page 205 of 212 FirstFirst ... 105155185201202203204205206207208209 ... LastLast