Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best ISP?

Experience

I got a telkom 1meg line but i lag and telkom said some other BS about i cant get a higher speed line in my area so what can i do?

Nothing much
    Experience

The day SA has a good ISP I think the world will crumble to dust!
    Yeah it's that time again...
    Hidden Content

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by RyanKiller01 View Post
    Hi there...
    I have a budget of R850 to do 2 modems. one for gaming and one for work which is just for emails and online banking. Any ideas
    Are both to be in the same location? If you are you can easily get one line and just have multiple machines connect to it. If you want two lines then look for something like the do broadband 1 package from telkom which is about R340 all inclusive for your line, adsl(384kB if that can be called broadband), a GB of international and 10GB local which is fine for email and internet banking. For your gaming and budget you probably look at a 1MB line and then a data package alongside. You could probably get the Mweb 1MB uncapped all inclusive deal and just come under your budget with both connections(I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    I got a telkom 1meg line but i lag and telkom said some other BS about i cant get a higher speed line in my area so what can i do?
    Since telkom added uncapped options I found my pings on their network suck. Try a capped option from another ISP or if you want uncapped you could try the Mweb deal as they give you a trial one week to test it out.

Very Senior Member
    Hoe eet mens 'n olifant?
    Game IDs
    Experience

Mmm. Since we have this nice thread revival, maybe someone can enlighten me.
    I've been on Telkom Do Broadband 2 for many years now and not many complaints. I don't do a lot of online gaming; mostly just surfing the net (wired to my PC) and downloading updates and synching trophies for PS3 (via wireless network).
    From time to time things give hastles (internet very slooow or just stops working). Then when you phone Telkom, you hold on for an hour before someone picks up. While you hold on a message plays, saying that they can come out to check things out, but if it turns out the internet being off wasn't their fault, there will be a call out fee.

Now my wife hears the MWeb advert: "If you're stuck behind a truck on the freeway, just switch to another lane! If your ISP is cr#p, just switch to MWeb!" (or something like that)
    I'm just not sure that it will make any difference. You can have MWeb be your service provider, but your internet is still running on Telkom lines. So (if my reasoning is correct) you might have internet hassles from time to time, no matter who your ISP is. So now if i switch to MWeb, they're just gonna say: "Ja, we see the Telkom lines in your area are giving problems. Phone them and report a fault"
    Am I right or wrong? Hoe werk die goed?
    I love this place

Gaming Wizard
    vado ferreus vel vado domus
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by wgb View Post
    I've been on Telkom Do Broadband 2 for many years now and not many complaints. I don't do a lot of online gaming; mostly just surfing the net (wired to my PC) and downloading updates and synching trophies for PS3 (via wireless network).
    From time to time things give hastles (internet very slooow or just stops working). Then when you phone Telkom, you hold on for an hour before someone picks up. While you hold on a message plays, saying that they can come out to check things out, but if it turns out the internet being off wasn't their fault, there will be a call out fee.

Now my wife hears the MWeb advert: "If you're stuck behind a truck on the freeway, just switch to another lane! If your ISP is cr#p, just switch to MWeb!" (or something like that)
    I'm just not sure that it will make any difference. You can have MWeb be your service provider, but your internet is still running on Telkom lines. So (if my reasoning is correct) you might have internet hassles from time to time, no matter who your ISP is. So now if i switch to MWeb, they're just gonna say: "Ja, we see the Telkom lines in your area are giving problems. Phone them and report a fault"
    You phone mweb, they chase down Telkom and make sure it gets sorted again. Saving you from holding onto the phone for a few hours

6. Saying Thanks:

wgb (April 25th, 2012)  

Gaming Wizard
    vado ferreus vel vado domus
    Game IDs
    Experience

Same situation and I asked Telkom the same question.

The answer was that if I wanted faster internet, I should move to a house that is closer to the exchange.

Experience

Check who you're playing against. I've been having the same problem but only with 2 people on my friends list, then last night it was explained to me by the one that there is a problem that causes lag between telkom and mweb, which is exacerbated if it's over a long distance like Cape to Jhb/Pta. So perhaps switching ISP's could be a solution to the problem.

Experience

I know telkom said my area is restricted to 1 meg due to some issues when i wanted to change to a 4 meg so i think im goin to go to axxess maybe they can do sumthing useful...

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by wgb View Post

It will depend on how you do it. A lot of people like to get their line from Telkom and then they have the freedom to move from ISP to ISP without hassle. If you want though you can have a company like Mweb arrange your line through Telkom and your data through them. That means if you do get in any trouble you contact Mweb and they have to do all the leg work either on the data side or the line side.

11. Saying Thanks:

wgb (April 26th, 2012)  

Addicted Member
    too much ends in smoke
    Experience

I've been through two or three different ISP's in the last few months; all of them are crap! While Afrihost and IS are the most crap, MWeb appears to be the least crap.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast