Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Teaching English In Japan

Very Senior Member
    underachievers
    Experience

little off topic, but i think i found my one
    http://www.ovc.co.za/pages/asiaTeachGeorgia.asp

Apart from the odd war, Georgia looks like a really ******* awesome place.

Experience

Well, if you will be able to get the proper certification so that you could teach over there, then I am pretty sure that it will be a great opportunity. I have a friend who is sort of taking the world by a storm in her own little way. And true enough, it was because of handwork that landed her all that.

Though you should know that you should be well versed with the Japanese language as well so you can get a chance at it.

Game IDs
    Experience

I don't think it is necessary to be well versed in Japanese before you come here. It will help but it is not really needed to work in the English sector.

Super Moderator
    Troll Team Tango
    I are FaceBeast!!!
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by jorgea View Post
    This can be a very nice learning experience but you have to beware of the cultural differences. Thanks for sharing here at http://www.ps3za.co.za
    Seems legit

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by krYtHan View Post
    I don't think it is necessary to be well versed in Japanese before you come here. It will help but it is not really needed to work in the English sector.

Pretty much this. You are expected to be teaching English and allowing students to try and be in an English environment. Sure some Japanese is handy but its not a deal breaker.

Experience

That's good to know! I'm of Japan in the summer woop woo

Addicted Member
    Winter is coming.
    Game IDs
    Experience

Hi guys. Thought I might give my 2c on teaching ESL. This year will be my 5th year doing it in Taiwan and so I can say I have a bit of experience in teaching ESL and living in a non-English-speaking country.

First of all, Taiwan and Thailand, two completely different places. Now that that's out of the way... It's a really nice place to teach and if you're looking to earn a decent salary while staying in a country where living cost is relatively cheap, it's a something you should consider. Taiwan is also a great place to be if you're interested in traveling Asia. From here to Thailand is a 4 hour flight. Philippines, 2 hours. Hong Kong and China, 2 hours. Japan, 5 hours. Vietnam, 4 or less.

Teaching here in private schools only requires you to have a University degree. Any degree will do as long as it's at a recognised University. If you want to teach in the public school system, you need to have a teaching qualification. Differences boil down to public schools getting long paid holidays whilst private schools usually don't. Also, in public school you have huge classes that rotate so you'll see most kids only once a week where private school usually put one or two teachers per class, you get a chance to build a proper relationship with the students and see their progress (which definitely helps with getting a sense of job satisfaction).

Best teaching jobs here are in the kindergartens that double as cram schools. There are some fantastic kindergartens to teach at, and then also not-so-nice schools. Best get a friend or acquaintance to help you get to a good school.

Since these kids go to English school from a super young age most of them can speak English to a degree by the age of 5. Even though Chinese is their main language, you are also not required to be able to speak any Chinese. Knowing some Chinese definitely helps make living here easy. Better is to have a Chinese speaking friend or co-worker to help you out.

Living here is great. It's a small little island with awesome transport, some of the best telecommunication infrastructure (read: fast, cheap, uncapped internet) and relatively low living cost. When I say "relatively low" it obviously varies depending if you want to stay central city or not. Taiwan is also one of the biggest producers of microchips, manufacturers of laptops and other electronic equipment (read: cheap electronics).

Quote Originally Posted by Pustoolio View Post
    At the moment im open to go anywhere where i can earn, save and travel. I've been thinking and talking about it for 2 years now

How did they screw your friend over?
    If you want more info just send me a PM.

8. Saying Thanks:

Pustoolio (April 10th, 2012)  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234