Just how popular is the Pokémon franchise? After all, how can a franchise that revolves around a character named “Pikachu” remain sustainable?** Here are a handful of statistics that show just how much of an impact Nintendo’s little gold mine has had over the years. Note that these figures are as of March 2014.
- The Pokémon video game franchise has sold more than 260 million games worldwide
- The Pokémon trading card game has shipped more than 21.5 billion cards to 74 countries in 10 languages
- There are more than 800 episodes in the Pokémon animated series — it is now in its 17th season
- There have been 17 full-length Pokémon feature films
- The most recently-released Pokémon games, Pokémon X and Pokémon Y (which launched worldwide on Oct. 12, 2013) sold nearly 12 million copies globally in their first four months
To see the popularity of Pokémon first hand check out this clip from the 2014 Pokémon World Championships which featured participants (trainers) from over 30 countries.
** Waits for Pokémon fans to lose their minds