Yesterday, Nintendo released the final Smash Direct giving us one last in-depth look at the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Ultimate game. It ran for around 40 minutes and we already knew quite a bit about the game, but here are a few highlights if you don’t have a chance to watch the video:
- Incineroar and Ken were revealed as the new playable fighter characters bringing the roster up to to 74.
- New Story/Adventure Mode was revealed called “World of Light” and as with real life – Kirby is at the centre of it all.
- Trophies have been tweaked (overhauled completely) with new Spirits Mode. A variety of characters from a plethora of franchises that serve as power-ups, affecting play in unique ways due to their contrasting types. This mode also is linked to the adventure mode mentioned above.
- Online and local multiplayer play features were detailed including new matchmaking (no more For Glory and For Fun versions). The new system relies on location and GSP Global Smash Power (GSP) scores.
- DLC will be coming with at least 5 packs planned for a year after the launch of the game. Each pack will include a new character, stage and several music tracks (expected to be $5.99 each). A Fighters Pass will include all DLC for $24.99.
- New Amiibo were announced including King K. Rool, Ice Climbers, Isabelle, Pichu, Young Link and more…
- Early adopters (pre-orders) will also receive another playable fighter – No not Waluigi – but completely strangely it will be Piranha Plant (plus accompanying amiibo). The deadline for this included fighter is purchasing the game before 31 January 2019.
A few other items were also touched on in the video (including more details about online play, Assist Trophies and even the Help menu) so be sure to watch it in full below if you are looking for more of those details. Also, if you want even more gameplay action – two of the Treehouse Live segments presented after the show were focussed on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate so be sure to check those out.