I tried to convert that to Rands and then both my brain and calculator broke. If you’re a shareholder at Activision then you’re having a very good week this week. According to the CEO, Bobby Kotick, the latest installment of Call of Duty has once again smashed record sales.
With Bobby Kotick being his humble self (yes, that is sarcasm), he was very quick to let the world know that their flagship series has once again made the company millions and millions. Here are some interesting stats surrounding the first three days it’s been on sale:
- It’s the top selling “premium” (ie. $60) game of 2019.
- It’s the best digital opening in Activision history.
- It’s the best-selling COD launch on PC ever.
- It’s the most digitally pre-ordered game on PS4 ever.
- It sold the most digital copies in three days on PS4 ever.
- It has more total hours played and total players than any COD in six years.
- And they want to point out that the $600 million “opening weekend” more than doubled the opening of Joker. Alright.
I guess they have the right to boast a little. Those are impressive stats. Activision President Rob Kostich pointed out that Modern Warfare “has more total players and total hours played than any Call of Duty opening release in the last six years” and then had this to say to the development team:
Congratulations to Infinity Ward and all our teams involved on an incredible game and its spectacular launch. We also want to thank the community for your incredible support. The launch of Modern Warfare is only the start. There’s much more to come.