Baldur’s Gate 3 hits Early Access tomorrow, which means a whole bunch of people are going to be hopping in, wild eyed and excited to sit at the most important screen of any RPG: the character creator.
It sounds like players will have their work cut out for them picking from the various options. There are eight races on offer, some with subraces, buffing the total choices to 16. Across these 16 choices there are some 150 head models, all based on 3D scans from various actors and models. Here are the choices on offer:
- Elf – high elf, wood elf
- Half-elf – wood half-elf, drow half-elf
- Drow – Seldarine drow, Lolth-sworn drow
- Dwarf – gold dwarf, shield dwarf
- Halfling – lightfoot halfling, strongheart halfling
- Tiefling – Asmodeus tiefling, Mephistopheles tiefling, Zariel tiefling
The early access launch will have six classes on offer. Cleric, fighter, ranger, rogue, warlock and wizard are available, meaning you have a pretty wide range to pick from. Will you get up close and personal in heavy armour, or do you prefer spellslinging from a safer distance, wrecking lives and sowing chaos? Each class has two subclasses, with cleric getting a third option:
- Cleric – Life Domain, Light Domain, Trickery Domain
- Fighter – Battle Master, Eldritch Knight
- Ranger – Hunter, Beast Master
- Rogue – Arcane Trickster, Thief
- Warlock – The Fiend, The Great One
- Wizard – School of Evocation, School of Abjuration
The Early Access launch won’t let you play as an origin character, but there are a handful of them to recruit in the world. I can’t wait to see how many hours of content there are in this early build of the game… once I get past the hours required to decide what character I am playing. This time things are even tougher than normal, because NPCs react differently depending on your class and race, so it isn’t just about how cool you look and your kit for killing enemies. Oh dear.