Health and Fitness

It's getting hot in Copenhagen, and no aircon in the gym means it's getting rough in there - sweat in the eyes is a problem!

@DaddyWaddy, I'm not one for YouTube fitness videos and that sort of thing, but came across this video that articulates my stance:

Not here to debate you on the subject, simply putting this out there for people to make of it what they want.

Just for clarification, what does functional training mean to you?

Just for clarification, what does functional training mean to you?
I simply advocate for a more holistic approach to training. I think the video did a good job of articulating what that means, hence the posting.

Okay, I gave the video a look and I’m still not convinced. If you want to do the “crawls” and the “rolls” and the “handstands”, then by all means, go ahead. It looks cool and all, but I don’t see any functionality in them. Pretty specific movement patterns.

I do a bodybuilding style training split and I think I’m pretty functional right now (if by functionality, we mean being able to function by doing daily activities). I can pick up my kids, wrestle with them, carry heavy stuff at work, touch my toes, get up relatively quickly etc. Seems to me at least that traditional strength training helped me get there. I dunno, maybe I’m missing something here.

From the 28 minute mark, Brad Schoenfeld talks about functional training. If you don’t know about him, he’s basically the preeminent expert on fitness training.

From the 28 minute mark, Brad Schoenfeld talks about functional training. If you don’t know about him, he’s basically the preeminent expert on fitness training.

Yea, that's good, I agree with everything they had to say.

You have to be realistic with yourself. If you can’t make time for pushups (about 5 minutes a day), it’s unlikely you’ll follow through with it.

Good idea, and lots of ways to get started. You don't have to go big or do anything too crazy, just get into the habit of doing something each day.
Did 20 pushups this morning, easier than expected, will do another 20 when I get home.

Lol, this post reads like the first post in this thread. Nice try bot.

Back
Top Bottom