Reaction score
Following on from a thread elsewhere:

My purchase:

8kw Deye Inverter
2x 5.12kw/hr Shoto batteries
10x 555W solar panels

Reactions: JoE
@SauRoN

Why so few panels on a big boy inverter?

The panels are what save the money and also generate ROI.

Or are they all going on one MPPT for future expansion?

Funny, you were the one person I was planning to engage with to discuss this with.

So budget is a factor, so is roof space. We're expecting to generate about 30kwhr/day and use on average 40... I'm ok with a 75% reduction in my Eskom bill. The future planning also includes getting away from electric stove/ovens... (closer to Winter time I will review)

They will put 5 panels facing NE on one MPPT and 5 panels facing NW on the other MPPT
Depending on how they perform and what we find on the roof (numerous ridges) we might then add a few more panels to one or the other MPPT/side or somewhere else if needed later.

I engaged with Standard Bank's LookSee programme, because I got so many quotes from so many "reputable" companies and the prices fluctuated so much and they either had amazing reviews/references or the odd terrible one, so much conflicting information that in the end I wanted a big brother to oversee things. Standard Bank put me in touch with a company called Sinogy, and I was happy with what they had to offer. Plus, most of the damn independents aren't VAT registered... how do you sell multiple R100k-R300k solar solutions and escape VAT registration??? Dodgy!

But yesterday the electrician pitches up, and he is an independent outsourced to by Sinogy! I was not impressed. That was exactly what I was trying to avoid.
I had even previously considered privately buying the kit and then hiring a sparkey to install - it would have cost less, but I didn't want the hassle! :-(

Bottom line, I'm committed, but now I need to be sure this guy/company do it properly. I want everything on essential - I just don't see the point in putting my stove/oven/geyser on non-essential and then when I need them I can't tap into my battery storage. Isn't that the point of having control via an app? If I know load shedding is gonna happen at 6pm, and we need to make dinner, then surely I can decide - push all PV generation to prioritise topping-up the batteries, so that they're available for us to cook at 7pm? Right?

And if I ever exceed 8800W then it's fine, because it will draw from Eskom right? (No tripping or over loading the inverter)
And if there is load shedding, I just have to be smart and ensure we never exceed 8800W right? (Pretty easy to do - no oven/stove/hair-dryer/air-fryer/tumble-dryer during load shedding)... unless absolutely necessary, in which case I can manage it myself via the app. Also, I've added a wifi switch to my geyser, so I can turn off the geyser during LS or plan ahead and make sure it is hot before we need it. (2nd geyser is solar already)

Then there is the whole CT Coil which it seems only some installers understand how to use (I'm not entirely clear on the understanding of it myself), and also the fact that our estate uses the Conlog wireless pre-paid meter system, which also comes with some complexity which has to be considered and requires appropriate experience.

I figured a very experienced company like Sinogy would have me covered... but I'm not feeling that comfort anymore. (I've voiced my complaint, and they've assured me they will take full responsibility - I will call them back if anything isn't 100%!)

Would value your opinion/feedback.

Maybe worth setting up a new thread for this?

What make are those panels?

555W is very high, way higher than anything i can get here.

What make are those panels?

555W is very high, way higher than anything i can get here.
Whatever is delivered from stock on the day... 1st tier only is the only promise they make, and should be one of these:
Canadian/Longji/JA/Tongwei/Haitai/Jinko

My set up:
8kw Sunsynk
3 x Pylontech @3.55kw each
8 x Canadian Solar 550W

In winter it was struggling to do about 250W per panel. But it can do 550W in Summer.
Main issue I have is that I don't consume enough during peak time, so it goes to waste.
Geyser takes only an hour to heat up compared to 3 hours during winter and I also use a gas stove.
Tried maximizing solar usage, got 26kWh at max, but right now averaging about 18kWh.

@SauRoN

Funny, you were the one person I was planning to engage with to discuss this with.

So budget is a factor, so is roof space. We're expecting to generate about 30kwhr/day and use on average 40... I'm ok with a 75% reduction in my Eskom bill. The future planning also includes getting away from electric stove/ovens... (closer to Winter time I will review)

But quality panels like Canadian Solar and you should be able to yield that easily on a good day.

All panels are not the same. Don't go cheap as this is the stuff that will be there for 25 years. Also you won't struggle to find Canadian Solar later if you need more.

They will put 5 panels facing NE on one MPPT and 5 panels facing NW on the other MPPT
Depending on how they perform and what we find on the roof (numerous ridges) we might then add a few more panels to one or the other MPPT/side or somewhere else if needed later.

Okay now the 30kWh might not be so possible, I assumed a perfect north but it is what it is wait and see with no shade you may be lucky.

Remember you can't add another direction later without another external MPPT or parellel inverter so rather plan to add more in these two directions which aren't all bad as they may extend your light hours even if peak output isn't perfect.

I engaged with Standard Bank's LookSee programme, because I got so many quotes from so many "reputable" companies and the prices fluctuated so much and they either had amazing reviews/references or the odd terrible one, so much conflicting information that in the end I wanted a big brother to oversee things. Standard Bank put me in touch with a company called Sinogy, and I was happy with what they had to offer. Plus, most of the damn independents aren't VAT registered... how do you sell multiple R100k-R300k solar solutions and escape VAT registration??? Dodgy!

Remember the requirement is on profit not turnover. No VAT isn't necessarily dodgy. Many guys like my own move out under the wings of another company and go solo and then only so VAT in the next year. Doesn't mean they lack experience.

Bottom line, I'm committed, but now I need to be sure this guy/company do it properly. I want everything on essential - I just don't see the point in putting my stove/oven/geyser on non-essential and then when I need them I can't tap into my battery storage. Isn't that the point of having control via an app? If I know load shedding is gonna happen at 6pm, and we need to make dinner, then surely I can decide - push all PV generation to prioritise topping-up the batteries, so that they're available for us to cook at 7pm? Right?

Yup same I have it all on essential and good call on the 8kW there. And I have electric stove/oven and Geyser and no plan to change them other than going induction for entirely different reasons.

You just learn what reserve you need for load shedding and set that as your minimum for diffent times of days. Usually by cooking time I start at 100% battery in summer but I now have just under 20kWh so this will be different for everyone.

And if I ever exceed 8800W then it's fine, because it will draw from Eskom right? (No tripping or over loading the inverter)
And if there is load shedding, I just have to be smart and ensure we never exceed 8800W right? (Pretty easy to do - no oven/stove/hair-dryer/air-fryer/tumble-dryer during load shedding)... unless absolutely necessary, in which case I can manage it myself via the app. Also, I've added a wifi switch to my geyser, so I can turn off the geyser during LS or plan ahead and make sure it is hot before we need it. (2nd geyser is solar already)

So the 8kW is the inverters maximum DC>AC inversion cap, but while there is AC the Sunsynk/Deye does passthrough so it can handle much higher loads up to 18kW I think. Mine has pushed 15kW happily.

HOWEVER when there is no AC and no solar you are retricted to the maximum discharge amperage of all the batteries together and this is where 2 batteries will likely become a problem for you in time depending on what they can handle. So plan to potentially put more in down the line.

Then there is the whole CT Coil which it seems only some installers understand how to use (I'm not entirely clear on the understanding of it myself), and also the fact that our estate uses the Conlog wireless pre-paid meter system, which also comes with some complexity which has to be considered and requires appropriate experience.

Technically only matters if you were doing essentials/non-essential and planning to feedback into the grid. Issues usually is that they install the damn thing in reverse.

I figured a very experienced company like Sinogy would have me covered... but I'm not feeling that comfort anymore. (I've voiced my complaint, and they've assured me they will take full responsibility - I will call them back if anything isn't 100%!)

Too bad you aren't in Cape Town. I've referred my guy directly and indirectly 10+ installs now and no a single issue and one of them is a mega plant setup on a farm.

VAT is calculated on turnover and not profit.

So if these guys are invoicing you for panels and other equipment then that forms part of their turnover.

I must just get time to go and do my homework for my solar project. I have a budget of R200 000 as I am going to have to pay cash, I don't want to do it on my house that I have already paid off, and someone will have to give me advice to optimise that budget.

Don't buy this kak nobody has ever heard of.
lol maybe not heard of in Africa but they are huge over here. Rated as Tier 1 alongside Canadian, Jinko etc.

But if the other brands are better represented locally then it’s probably worth spending a bit more on those.

Reactions: JoE
lol maybe not heard of in Africa but they are huge over here. Rated as Tier 1 alongside Canadian, Jinko etc.

But if the other brands are better represented locally then it’s probably worth spending a bit more on those.

Okay, well in that case research research research.

555W is not 555W. They all yield very different results and from what I've seen Canadian Solar always wins.

Remember you can't add another direction later without another external MPPT or parellel inverter so rather plan to add more in these two directions which aren't all bad as they may extend your light hours even if peak output isn't perfect.

Thanks... this statement is the only one I'm not clear on - are you saying if I want to add more panels later, they HAVE to point in the same direction? Because we do have a tentative upgrade plan for another 6 panels, but they would need to go on a different part of the roof.

I'm surprised I understood everything you said :) Makes me feel more comfortable about the process I'm following.

Installation is happening as I type. They adding sufficient channeling to easily add a 3rd battery later. Panels delivered are JA Solar 550W

Thanks... this statement is the only one I'm not clear on - are you saying if I want to add more panels later, they HAVE to point in the same direction? Because we do have a tentative upgrade plan for another 6 panels, but they would need to go on a different part of the roof.

I'm surprised I understood everything you said :) Makes me feel more comfortable about the process I'm following.

Installation is happening as I type. They adding sufficient channeling to easily add a 3rd battery later. Panels delivered are JA Solar 550W
My Sunsynk 8kW has two MPTTs and allows two strings per MPTT. But all the panels on the same MPTT needs to face the same way (direction and angle). The reason for that is the two strings will then produce the same voltage, which is required on the same MPTT. If it faces a different direction the generation will be different and needs to be on another MPTT.

Yes same MPPT same direction in series.

And 9-10 panels per MPPT.

Technically you could put multiple sets of panels in parallel but this is a bit of a dodgy thing where you can't have them active at once and so they need to be on two opposite extremes so one set is in the shade while the other is active.

It's one thing I would have done differently is buy 2 x 5kW inverters from the start so I have 4 x MPPTs as I need to upgrade to 2 x North 1xEast and 1xWest in the future.

Yes same MPPT same direction in series.

And 9-10 panels per MPPT.

Technically you could put multiple sets of panels in parallel but this is a bit of a dodgy thing where you can't have them active at once and so they need to be on two opposite extremes so one set is in the shade while the other is active.

It's one thing I would have done differently is buy 2 x 5kW inverters from the start so I have 4 x MPPTs as I need to upgrade to 2 x North 1xEast and 1xWest in the future.

That does make a lot of sense...

What is your view on using just 1 string per MPPT ? If I don't need to use 2 strings, why would I ? (only 5 panels per MPPT at the moment, which is also an odd number)

That does make a lot of sense...

What is your view on using just 1 string per MPPT ? If I don't need to use 2 strings, why would I ? (only 5 panels per MPPT at the moment, which is also an odd number)

That's how mine is setup.

1x String on 1 MPPT
1x String other MPPT.

They'll do this even if same direction to achieve the mimimum voltage to startup the MPPT I believe.

Only reason to do it otherwise would be a shade concern and not wanting it to affect other panels.

The main logic with strings is that any shape brings the entire string down in a string-based inverter setup. This is why Micro-inverter or Optimiser style inverters exist.

So if you had something like say a chimney that was only a problem certain times of the day you may put those affected panels on their own string so you don't affect the others etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom