Poll: Rate this game:

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord

Very Senior Member
    Experience

Default Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord

The 2009 WiiWare title I'm most hotly anticipating gets released in PAL territories tomorrow (Friday 17/07). Yes, it's Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: My Life as Darklord, the sequel to one of my top twenty favourite games of this console generation, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King.

From watching it becomes immediately obvious that this game will play somewhat differently compared to Square Enix's previous Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles WiiWare title. Whereas My Life as a King entailed you sending out brave men and women on quests on your behalf while you stayed at home managing the kingdom, this new title places you in the stillettos of the new Darklord's daughter.

The official press release explains a bit of the story:

London (15th July 2009) - Square Enix Ltd., the publisher of Square Enix� interactive entertainment products in Europe and other PAL territories, today announces that FINAL FANTASY® CRYSTAL CHRONICLES®: My Life as a Darklord™ will be available exclusively for WiiWare™ on July 17th, 2009.

FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES: My Life as a Darklord turns the tables on players by challenging them to take on the role of the villain. As the daughter of the newly appointed Darklord, with a mission to take over the world, players must strategically place monsters and traps inside their tower to ward off invading adventurers. With this follow-up to the kingdom-building simulation FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES: My Life as a King®, Wii™ users can now enjoy the FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES world from an entirely new point of view!

Larry Sparks, Vice President Brands PAL Region of Square Enix Ltd. comments, "The CRYSTAL CHRONICLES universe keeps growing and bringing innovative gaming experiences for everyone. FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES: My Life as a Darklord is a real time strategy game that offers players a new take on the CRYSTAL CHRONICLES universe. We hope for this brand new and engaging WiiWare title to be enjoyed by Wii owners of all ages."

About FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES: My Life as a Darklord

Story

Introducing a new hero - or should that be villainess? The daughter of the Darklord!
    Set fiendish traps for any adventurer foolish enough to cross you, and then send in your monstrous minions to finish the job!

Stop protecting the world as a goody-two-shoes king and start conquering it as a bad-to the-bone Darklord! Sure, there are legions of annoying adventurers determined to stop you, but as any self-respecting arch-villain would agree, swatting them is the best bit!

Features

* Dynamic defensive gameplay - players rush to fortify their tower before it falls!
    * Darklord uses the setting and characters of the FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES series to add rich flavour to the relatively simple gameplay.
    * An abundance of audio and visuals stir up an intense, almost comical level of excitement for players.
    * Built around a basis of obtaining even more powerful Artifacts and Monsters in order to clear increasingly difficult stages.
    * The world map opens as players progress through the stages with various side quests being important for maximum completion.
    * Major downloadable content which adds to the replay values includes:
    - Artifacts
    - Defensive Monsters
    - Costumes for the Darklord's daughter
    - New maps (new stages)
    I love My Life as a King, it is such a brilliant game born from such a simple idea, it's pure genius and one of the best things Square Enix have ever done. Yes, it's a downloadable game, and it's on WiiWare meaning it has to fit in the 40MB size limit, but once you've downloaded all the additional content you have a package worthy of a retail disc.

I'm currently playing through the game a second time, and I spent many late night marathon sessions on the first play-through, it's that amazingly addictive!

Another feature My Life as a Darklord has in common with its predecessor is the option of purchasing additional content on-line and having it downloaded into your game. My Life as a King had three updates of additional content, and so far My Life as a Darklord has in Japan had three updates of its own.

I assume the European release will have a staggered release of additional content, as was the case with My Life as a King.

First batch of downloadable content:

The following content is available:

Costumes
    Dress of Light and Dress of Darkness. These affect Mira's parameters. Each is priced at 200 WiiPoints.

Monsters
    Ogre, Sahagin and Ariman. These give you access to new types of monsters for the stages. Priced at 100 WiiPoints each.

Floor
    These artifacts have various effects on the stages. Two are available: Drain Chest (artifact which sucks up hero HP and feeds it to your monsters) and Fountain (not sure of the actual name, but this artifact clears your monster statuses). Priced at 200 WiiPoints each.

Item
    Shock Wave, Blast Arrow, and Fiaga. These cause damage to all heroes on all floors but can only be used once per stage. Priced at 100 WiiPoints each.

Expansion Stages
    There are currently no examples of these.
    Second batch of downloadable content:

Joining last week's Dress of Light and Dress of Darkness, players can now dress Mira up in Osumashi Dress, a devil's dress that's meant to look somewhat like a princess.

New monsters include Ramia, a recovery-type best, Kimaira, a beast which makes use of poison, and Coeurl, a creature with fast attack speed. These are each priced 100 WiiPoints.

Joining the item list is Shumatsu Pierce, a 200 WiiPoint item that gives Mira a 50 point NP boost at the start of battle.

Finally, the game's floor lineup has been updated with the Summon Mirror floor, which summons monsters at random from a different dimension and lines them up to defend your tower from attack.
    Third batch of downloadable content:

New stage pack: "Vacation of the Demon King who's Being Targeted", 500 Nintendo Points, 15 stages in a new world, main game must be cleared in order to purchase

New costume: "Sherlotta Cat Dress", 200 Nintendo Points, Echoes of Time inspired dress, start off with 50 NP

New scroll spells: Quake and Curaga, 100 Nintendo Points each

New monster: Death Night, 200 Nintendo Points, monster that takes up two spaces

New item: Bangle of Hopelessness, 200 Nintendo Points
    If you take all of the above, you'll end up having spent close to the price of a full retail game. As I stated above, I had no problem with buying My Life as a King and all the DLC, for the simple reasons that the game is addictive, well made and lots of fun to play, making me a happy customer in the end. Knowing Square Enix, you'll likely be getting the same result here.

Screenshots:

Man, I'm loving that they're using monsters straight out of other Crystal Chronicles games for this game.

Lastly, there is currently no release date for North America, meaning local gamers with NTSC machines will have to hold on just a little bit longer to get what promises to be a brilliant game.

Very Senior Member
    Experience

Default Re: Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord

I'm going away for the weekend, but thought I would quickly post some first impressions before I left.

Firstly, I only had time to play through the tutorial but already one thing is clear - despite being a very different game, this is going to be just as addictive as My Life as a King. My Life as a Darklord plays very differently, but is equally well-polished and balanced to perfection.

Secondly, My Life as a Darklord has much more downloadable content than My Life as a King. Square Enix chose to make all the DLC available in one go for the European release of the game. Also, there is a lot more available than what was quoted above. This brings me to a third point.

My Life as a King costs 1500 points to download, with the DLC adding up to another 3000 points. Most of this DLC is completely worth it. There are four costumes that add nothing of value to the game, but I believe they are only 100 points each. The rest of the downloadable content not only expands the world, allowing your heroes more locations to explore, but adds new architecture and races to your town, enriching the core experience far beyond what is available out of the box.

My Life as a Darklord costs 1000 points to download. The DLC however adds up to a massive 5700 points. This makes for a total of 6700 points if you intend on getting everything. The game as downloaded is complete and completely playable, as is the case with My Life as a King. But once you look at the list of additional content it becomes kind of hard to resist indulging.

This is what I recommend you download:

• all additional monsters
    • all additional floors
    • all additional expansion stages
    • ONLY the first item pack (500 points)

The additional costumes bestow status changes on your character, but these don't really enhance gameplay in any meaningful fashion (at 200 points a piece, and I believe there are six to download).

Also, you can leave out the additional items beyond the first item pack. The additional items amount to 1000 points but are all a bit worthless (they make the game easier but don't expand the gameplay in any way).

One last observation - this is set in a different region from My Life as a King. The Darklord in this game isn't the same Darklord from that game. They do have some things in common, but I don't want to spoil the previous game's story for those who still have to play it.

Okay, so I'm off to enjoy my last two days of vacation! I hope more people download this game (and My Life as a King), so we can get some more impressions.

Have a good weekend!

Addicted Member imported_Tenshi's Avatar
    Experience

I downloaded it yesterday night.
    Finished the 1st chapter. Haha ! It gets hard quite fast ! luckely you gain some karma from losing as well so i could upgrade my goblins

But yeah - its actually quite fun. The DLC looks very cool , but its very expensive.... 1000 for the game and then another 1000 just for 4 new monsters...HMMM

On a side note : Is my life as a king any good really ? I always hesitated to buy it ...isn't it boring ?

Experience

july 20th is american release

Experience

NooOO!! WHY!!!! i need a proper PROPER Final Fantasy game for Wii, the last one i got was not exaclty a proper wii game either, yes u had to buy it. yes it was for wii. yes it came on disc. but was really a DS game.
    i need usmmin like the original crystal chronicles for GC, xcept with normal controls XD

Sorry Bout that guys, kinda had to rage somehwere >.<

Experience

ok call me stupid , but what ff game was on a disc for the wii ? I cannot even think of one ?

Very Senior Member
    Experience

Milkyway is referring to Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time which is the kind-of sequel to Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: Rings of Fate.

Echoes of Time came out on DS and Wii. It's exactly the same game on either format, with added anti-aliasing (i.e. pixel smoothing) on Wii. You can take the DS version on-line and play with owners of the Wii version and vice versa.

Apparently the game is quite excellent regardless of which version you go with. If I had to choose, I would probably get the DS version though, if only because it would look nice on the shelf next to Ring of Fates.

@milkyway: None of the Crystal Chronicles games are "proper" Final Fantasy games though. They are just bursting with flavour and non-traditional gameplay. And that's exactly why I prefer the Crystal Chronicles games over the traditional Final Fantasies. (Well, variety and creativity in gameplay is one of the reasons anyway.)

@Tenshi: I found My Life as a King intensely addictive and rewarding to play. Actually, the game appears to be well-loved in general.

Even if you're not actively busy constructing your town, you still have to run around talking to inhabitants (not everyone is able to stop for a chat though so you have to find people you can talk to). This boosts the town happiness meter, which means you earn bonus taxes and get to stay out later at night. Staying out later is a good thing as you get to meet adventurers returning from missions, meaning you get to chat with them and boost their spirits if they are depressed from having failed a mission. Also, increasing the town happiness meter means increasing the status of your town, which is necessary to accomplish certain things.

My Life as a King is a lot deeper than is supposed by the simplistic premise. A lot of attention has to be paid to your city layout, making sure the right people live near the right stores, academies, shrines, etc.

Anyway, that's enough of me shilling for Square Enix!

Ek reken enigiets met Crystal Chronicles op die omslag is 'n goeie kopie. En die komende The Crystal Bearers lyk uitstekend!

Experience

See pic 3

Why SoOo expensive?!!?!?!?!?!

Very Senior Member
    Experience

haha disturbing!

Very Senior Member
    Experience

It is basically exactly like "My Life As A King" with new textures slapped on and instead of doing good your doing evil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast