Poll: As a permanent employee, how much of an annual increase do you get every year?

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31920212223

Thread: As a permanent employee, how much of an annual increase do you get every year?

Addicted Member
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Cathal View Post
    Really has me worried, have already been retrenched once due to a company shutting down, really don't want to go through it again.
    I was watching a video about some guy who told a story about a company in the US during 2008 recession. The boss off the company decided not to retrench anybody even though they lost 30% of the monthly income overnight due to the recession. What he did is ask each employee to go on 4 weeks unpaid leave over the next 12 months. Employees even started trading unpaid leave days for work days depending on their financial situation. It's a pity most companies don't think this way.

2. Saying Thanks:

$eR8Ed (April 16th, 2019),  Cathal (April 16th, 2019)  

Experience

Although in SA, 4 months unpaid leave means you loose most if not all the stuff the banks still own.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
    I was watching a video about some guy who told a story about a company in the US during 2008 recession. The boss off the company decided not to retrench anybody even though they lost 30% of the monthly income overnight due to the recession. What he did is ask each employee to go on 4 weeks unpaid leave over the next 12 months. Employees even started trading unpaid leave days for work days depending on their financial situation. It's a pity most companies don't think this way.
    Furlough is a common HR/finance scheme in the US, and is also sometimes used in Europe, as far as I know it is not legally permissible according to SA labour laws.

Had a client in New York that split Fridays up... so one week half the company worked 4-days a week while the other half worked 5... then swapped the next week - the company was able to save enough to avoid retrenchments while only decreasing staff salaries by approximately 10% (and of course everyone got a long weekend every second week)... most of the staff were ok with the arrangement and it only last for about 4 months before things returned to normal. A good strategy if you ask me - I'd far rather be allowed to do that than have to let people go.

5. Saying Thanks:

AdrianH (April 17th, 2019),  Cathal (April 17th, 2019),  unstoppableErasor (May 9th, 2019)  

Addicted Member
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Company just announced zero increases for 2019..... fml
    Join the club, but then again I will take it before retrenchment

7. Saying Thanks:

Thanticore (June 17th, 2019),  Viking (May 6th, 2019)  

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
    Join the club, but then again I will take it before retrenchment
    Sad but true

Addicted Member
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Sad but true
    Besides its not like the R500 a month they used to raise my salary with the past few years, made a huge impact - it covered the petrol hikes and that is about it

10. Saying Thanks:

dougell (May 6th, 2019),  Viking (May 6th, 2019)  

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
    A common thing I've seen locally is to cut hours instead of people losing their jobs.

So down to 6 hours instead of 8 or even less by request as some people actually want that free time over the money, and then ramping it up when things are flying again.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Very Senior Member
    “Adventure runs on all sorts of whiskey.”
    Game IDs
    Experience

Probably bad (to talk about it/out it), but scummy practice I've been exposed to lately is retrenching qualified staff and then getting trainees in under the few remaining experienced staff.

Train them and have the trainees do all the same work but as soon as the one year probationary contract comes to a close, signalling in benefits and better pay, the contracts aren't renewed and new trainees are brought back in.

Really demoralising.
    ALMOST DEAD YESTERDAY, MAYBE DEAD TOMORROW, BUT ALIVE, GLORIOUSLY ALIVE, TODAY

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31920212223