Poll: As a permanent employee, how much of an annual increase do you get every year?

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31920212223

Thread: As a permanent employee, how much of an annual increase do you get every year?

Addicted Member
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Cathal View Post
    Really has me worried, have already been retrenched once due to a company shutting down, really don't want to go through it again.
    I was watching a video about some guy who told a story about a company in the US during 2008 recession. The boss off the company decided not to retrench anybody even though they lost 30% of the monthly income overnight due to the recession. What he did is ask each employee to go on 4 weeks unpaid leave over the next 12 months. Employees even started trading unpaid leave days for work days depending on their financial situation. It's a pity most companies don't think this way.

2. Saying Thanks:

$eR8Ed (April 16th, 2019),  Cathal (April 16th, 2019)  

Experience

Although in SA, 4 months unpaid leave means you loose most if not all the stuff the banks still own.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
    I was watching a video about some guy who told a story about a company in the US during 2008 recession. The boss off the company decided not to retrench anybody even though they lost 30% of the monthly income overnight due to the recession. What he did is ask each employee to go on 4 weeks unpaid leave over the next 12 months. Employees even started trading unpaid leave days for work days depending on their financial situation. It's a pity most companies don't think this way.
    Furlough is a common HR/finance scheme in the US, and is also sometimes used in Europe, as far as I know it is not legally permissible according to SA labour laws.

Had a client in New York that split Fridays up... so one week half the company worked 4-days a week while the other half worked 5... then swapped the next week - the company was able to save enough to avoid retrenchments while only decreasing staff salaries by approximately 10% (and of course everyone got a long weekend every second week)... most of the staff were ok with the arrangement and it only last for about 4 months before things returned to normal. A good strategy if you ask me - I'd far rather be allowed to do that than have to let people go.

5. Saying Thanks:

AdrianH (Yesterday),  Cathal (Yesterday)  

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31920212223