Very Senior Member
    False!!! ............ It's black bear.
    Game IDs
    Experience

Default What Are You Playing Thread *Retro Edition*

I don't expect this thread to have an excessive amount of posts but hey

My ps3 caught the Ylod so I'm playing my retro titles for the time being,

Nintendo 64:

Conkers Bad Fur Day - Game is really amazing!!
    Banjo-Kazooie - Playing this again before I jump into Banjo-Tooie, been many years since I played it and i'd forgotten how tricky the puzzle pieces are to find

Gamecube:

Metroid Prime 2 - Metroid Prime 1 was fairly big but my gawd, this game is massive!!

2. Saying Thanks:

5NAKE (August 7th, 2013),  Anubis (August 2nd, 2013),  GAZZA (August 3rd, 2013),  nykfist (August 3rd, 2013)  

Experience

I'm busy with a few games spread over a few different systems:

Playing a bit of Wonder Dog for the Mega CD.
    Slightly annoying controls, but not a deal breaker. The game is simple but fun to play.

Mutant Rampage: Bodyslam.
    Usually Cd-i "games" are mostly not worth mentioning, but this one is halfway decent.
    I guess at a stretch you might say it's the CD-i's answer to Streets Of Rage.

Also busy with Aero the Acrobat on the SNES. Very average platformer. Not really enjoying this one. About to abort and play something else.

And just started with Dragonstone on the Amiga CD32.
    Looks like a type of Zelda inspired clone. So far not bad at all.

4. Saying Thanks:

Cytronics (August 7th, 2013),  Pos7box (August 5th, 2013)  

Experience

At the moment I'm addicted to Combat on Atari 2600, who would have thought such a simple game could capture so much of my time!

Also jamming some Super Street Fighter II on Mega Drive, usually I'm not much of a SF fan but my brother has been visiting lately so he provides a competitive edge.

6. Saying Thanks:

GAZZA (August 7th, 2013),  Pos7box (August 7th, 2013)  

Very Senior Member
    Game IDs
    Experience

So I've just completed Conkers bad fur day.

It's the first time I've played it and its officially in my top ten list of all time favourites, sadly the Nomad Soul has been kicked out in favour of conkers
    From the Matrix to Reservoir dogs to Aliens.. its just bad ass all the way!

Now to finish Banjo-Tooie and then finally play Final Fantasy V (anthology's on PS1)

8. Saying Thanks:

Anubis (August 7th, 2013),  GAZZA (August 7th, 2013)  

Experience

@Pos7box , just out of curiosity, how have you got your N64 hooked up to your TV? via composite?
    I ask because I find the N64 is by far the retro system that visually does not hold up very well especially on newer TV's. In fact unless I hook it up to an older CRT it looks terrible even via s-video on my LCD/LED sets.

Very Senior Member
    Game IDs
    Experience

@GAZZA

Just connected via regular AV cables really,

It does not look great and i'm (not at the moment but soon) looking for a way or idea in order to try get the visuals to at least not look so stretched outside of just plugging in my old 42" but honestly the visuals don't bother me to the extent that all I notice is how bad it shows up on the HD Tv.

What you do notice is when you jump from an retro title to a current gen title.. graphics jump out like a beast!

11. Saying Thanks:

GAZZA (August 7th, 2013)  

Experience

I find the N64 to be one the most visually ugly consoles in terms of graphic fidelity and usually avoid playing on it, and this is coming from a guy who really doesn't care about graphics. It's not Atari Jaguar ugly but unless the title is something special, I would much rather indulge in some 8bit or 16bit action.

13. Saying Thanks:

GAZZA (August 7th, 2013)  

Experience

@Pos7box , well with most of my other retro consoles I have them hooked up via SCART RGB to component. The visuals look excellent that way.
    But the N64 doesn't output a pure RGB signal unless modified to do so. And even then the picture doesn't look a whole lot better.

When I talk of SCART RGB to component, this is what I mean:

Have a look a this pic from the Genesis/Mega Drive connected via regular AV,

And now via RGB SCART to Component,

Notice the much more detailed/cleaner bottom picture.
    My point is that for most retro consoles you can get significantly better visuals even on HD TV's depending on how you have them connected. The N64 though is a little, shall we say, stubborn in that regard. lol

15. Saying Thanks:

Anubis (August 7th, 2013),  Pos7box (August 8th, 2013),  UnforgivN (August 7th, 2013)  

Very Senior Member
    Game IDs
    Experience

@GAZZA

Damn, does make a huge difference.
    Thanks man, i'm actually gonna look into a component now and test the differences.

Not the biggest Audio/Visual expert but I guess there isn't harm in at least trying to get things to look better

BTW.. Flashback
    Last edited by Pos7box; August 8th, 2013 at 07:48 AM.

Very Senior Member
    Game IDs
    Experience

@GAZZA

Dude, been doing some research today regarding CGA to VGA upscaler and found a lot of info and recommendations.
    What I did read on consistent basis is the SCART RGB component isn't recommended for the N64 but pretty much 99% of other consoles are given a better picture using the SCART.

Anyway, what I was trying to get to is maybe some advice in where to find something like the SCART RGB or possibly finding an actual CGA to VGA upscaler.
    Forgive me though, when I said research I meant sitting on my arse and trolling google search Not actually going out to a Matrix or Incredible connection and window shopping
    Personally just been happy to be able to play the games regardless of their presentation on HDtv's otherwise I still got my CRT if push comes to shove but your show case of improvements has spired on my desire now to make things pretty

Page 1 of 27 1234521 ... LastLast