Experience

Quote Originally Posted by onelargeprawn View Post
    IbiE when is this actually coming out?
    No release date set just yet..

Experience

Double Fine Presents- Knights and Bikes

Magnificent.

Experience

Travels around Penfurzy (and much further afield)

Hey Knighters and Bikers!

Rex here, starting our final update for 2016, a year that seemed to disappear in a few minutes while we were busy making a video game for you all! If you don’t read any further because you’re too busy wrestling with a turkey or a roll of sticky-tape then at least know that we’re wishing you a very happy holiday and you have our heartfelt thanks for all your support this year <3

This time last year we were slamming together enough of a prototype to capture footage from to build a trailer. Fast-forward 12 months and now we can fire up the game, jump on our bikes, and pedal around Penfurzy, visiting the various locations, find a few hundred pocketfuls of loot, and start rescuing islanders. And.. we can do it all co-operatively online too! In other words, its starting to feel like playing an actual game, rather than digging around on a hard-drive finding all the various bits of content (more on that in a bit).

Plus we rounded off the year announcing our Double Fine partnership, and have taken an early demo to a couple of shows, and have been able to meet some of you in real life, which was a great oppurtunity! Moo will be signing-off this update with his diary from the recent Playstation Experience show, but first here what’s being going on back on the game-development lab (i.e. the kitchen-table).

Penfurzian Cartography

(I think that might be the title of an album in Demelzas Dad’s 1970s record collection)

I’ve been having FUN. My favourite part of making games is creating the worlds and characters that inhabit them, the possibilities of doing that in an interactive environment, as a collaboration between game-maker and game-player is what originally made me transfer from working in TV and animation to creating games. So this month I’ve been designing and building Penfurzy Island as a whole. After a few months of just working on some of the “levels” this is the big level-design task of creating what you’ll be exploring in-between them. It’s the full environment that you run, roll and cycle around to get to the more linear levels which are dotted around the map waiting for you to discover them.

So as well as building the content, this involves figuring-out how open the map is, and how the environment becomes more accessible as you upgrade your bikes and gain new skills. But beyond that its about making it feel like more of a believable place, creating interesting landmarks to find, carefully placing them to encourage exploration but not get you lost, and generally using the landscape to create some back-stories that don’t exist in words but in what you experience.

Something that’s made a big difference to this task is improving how we do landscapes. Up until recently the world was flat (there’s a couple old Penfurzians that would probably agree) which was okkkaayyyy but it didn’t feel that we were getting the most out of our tough little off-road bikes, so I’ve been swapping the world over to use 3D height-maps, to make it properly lumpy. So now you peddle up hills, coast down into valleys and just generally get more variety as you explore, it really makes the most of the world being 3D (even though its cunning built and coded using only 2D art).

Here's a little video peek at far-from finished environment, this example is fairly subtle but you should be able to see how it undulates now, particularly in the foreground and background:

*video here https://ksr-video.imgix.net/assets/0...h264_high.mp4*

And it was a really great day when Moo got the code ready to load in the different environments as you reach them, so for the first time you could start in the harbour, cycle across the island to the caravan-site to play some video games in Demelzas caravan, and then head north to break into, and explore, the theme-park area.

So there’s been lots of progress but we’ll have a very busy start to 2017. Having said that, we’re now in the position where we can start to fill in more of the gaps and improve all the elements, rather than everything being a total unknown experiment, which is a nicer place to be!

So Moo, how about telling the nice people what's been going on in your world…

California Demoing

Hey everyone! I had an absolutely wonderful time down in Anaheim for PSX in lots of different ways.

I should probably start with the show itself. Firstly, it was a pleasure to meet some of you in person and watch you playing the game (hopefully not in a creepy way). All of you backers are a constant source of inspiration to me and meeting face-to-face while playing the game made it so much more real. It was also awesome to see how many people were interested in Knights and Bikes and especially how many different people were interested. We had players from all walks of life and some who flew from other countries stop by, play, and give feedback--and it was pretty much all positive! My heart was filled with joy watching people play together, laugh at our silly jokes, taunt each other during the mini challenges, and guide each other through our little demo. So that definitely left me buzzing even after being on my feet for 20 hours over the two days.

Nearly everyone played it co-op, Yay!

I also was lucky enough to meet some other awesome game makers while I was out there who are going through the same things as we are. It was great to share stories and advice, especially from those who had been at the indie thing a little bit longer than us. I loved hearing about their inspirations and ambitions and the feeling that we're all together in trying to honor this medium that we love. So thank you to Saleem and Bronson from KO_OP, David O'Reilly, and the Mografi team for hanging out with me!

And lastly, I was invited to give a talk at my old high school about what I do and how I got here. It was an honor that they'd want me to speak at all, but I also had a great time. The students were extremely switched on with tons of great questions and were definitely a million miles ahead of where I was at their age. Being back there really made me think about how different things are in my life from when I was 16 and how lucky I am right now, living half way across the world with my wonderful wife and working on a project I love. That's probably three things I never could have imagined happening as a teenager.

So overall, I had an incredible time and I've returned full of energy and inspiration to keep creating this world of Knights And Bikes.

Happy Holidays! And see you all in the new year!

- Rex and Moo

Experience

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12