Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pandemic: Legacy

Super Moderator
    Troll Team Tango
    Hodor
    Game IDs
    Experience

Had another session yesterday.

Started off with a second attempt at February and pretty much dominated. That was mostly due to some extremely lucky shuffling and well-timed funded events. Pushed through March and managed to survive that without many issues. Also due to lucky shuffling.

Then April came around... and the game suddenly became even better. We panicked a lot, spent more time focusing on quarantining rather than our objectives and ended up barely scraping through with just one turn left before we would have lost.

Now we're sitting with about 10 unstable cities, 2 rioting cities, 1 character with a scar and... well. I won't spoil the rest because it's better if it's a surprise.

2. Saying Thanks:

IbiE (August 9th, 2016),  void667 (August 8th, 2016)  

Banned
    :O behind you!!!!

Experience

played a few games of pandemic while visiting a friend here in the UK and its such fun, we won a few games with just 1 card to spare, super intense.

Definitely getting this, and exploding kittens.

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by po10cySA View Post
    played a few games of pandemic while visiting a friend here in the UK and its such fun, we won a few games with just 1 card to spare, super intense.

Definitely getting this, and exploding kittens.
    Yeah, the margins in the game are great.
    We've won with one card left a couple of times now.

Just played a game where we had all of the cards to find cures, but our infect and epidemic draws were really unlucky and so lost because the outbreak marker reached max. We just needed to survive one player's turn

5. Saying Thanks:

po10cySA (August 9th, 2016)  

Super Moderator
    Troll Team Tango
    Hodor
    Game IDs
    Experience

This game. This. Game.

During our previous session, we attempted to get through May. To say that things didn't go well would be an understatement. Our first attempt started off really well with some almost unbelievably good draws. Things started to get a little wobbly when we got two epidemics in quick succession. We eventually needed just one more turn to win, but literally the last infection card we drew before that turn killed us. Our second attempt at May, we were pretty much screwed from the start. About halfway through, it become clear that we weren't going to win so we just went into damage control mode. That was a while back.

Yesterday we had another session. We were going to do June and the box of shame was glaring at us. The following story will contain spoilers up until June. If you ever intend to play Pandemic Legacy, do not click. For serious.

Last warning.

Spoiler:
    After our thrashing in May, we were a bit despondent. We were worried that the game was going to throw some more negative rules at us to make things difficult. And so we were extremely pleasantly surprised to find that the only new rules for June were helpful rules. Plus, we'd already made a few military bases permanent, so that would ease the burden of the "Build a military base in each region" goal. We had this.

Things started off really well. We got the military bases goal up pretty damn quickly and cured one disease shortly afterwards. In the process we pulled off a rather nifty move. One guy was one card short of curing it, so he went to a research station and used the equip action to turn one of his other cards into the stem cell card to give him the last he needed. We hadn't had any outbreaks and almost had enough cards to trade among each other for the last cures, so things were looking good.

Now by this stage, Ho Chi Minh City had been converted to a faded city. We kept joking that it was going to screw us over in some way, but we weren't serious about that. It didn't have any faded on it, but one of the cities next to it had two. Still, nothing to worry about. Then we draw Ho Chi Minh city from the player deck. The accelerated incubation rule kicks in and it gets one faded. Next card... an epidemic card. We flip over the bottom of the infection deck... Ho Chi Minh. Outbreak. We're staring at this **** in absolute disbelief. Shuffle the discard pile, draw for the infection step. Ho Chi Minh again, which caused another series of chain outbreaks. Next turn, one of the other nearby cities that already had 3 faded due to the chain outbreaks comes up.

We went from having everything under control, to being dead in the space of 2 turns with absolutely nothing we could have done.

Much swearing. Sighs of disbelief. We were now sitting on 3 consecutive losses. Just one more and we'd have to open the box of shame. On the other side of the coin, though, we now had 6 funding and had turned quite a few cards into equipment cards so we'd have a ton more options.

So we took a deep breath and set up for our second attempt at June.

From the start, the shuffle favoured us. We got the funded event cards pretty early in the game. Got our military bases up, got our first disease cured. Basically held on to the funded event cards in order to use them to react to anything that the infection deck would throw at us. Used the airlift to get into the last yellow city to eradicate that disease. When Sydney was suddenly hit with 3 faded figures, we used to resilient population card to remove it from the infection deck. When a draw was going to cause an outbreak, we used the 2 quarantine card to stop that. Basically the funding cards hauled our asses out of the fire constantly and allowed us to keep control of the infection deck.

So. Here's where we stood at that stage. We had our military bases in each region of the world. We had cured and eradicated yellow. Two goals down. All we needed to do was cure red and blue. I needed one more blue card to get the cure. The guy to my right, who was playing as the dispatcher, had two blue cards (Paris and Milan). But they were both in faded cities and both had 3 faded figures on. The guy to my left needed one more red card to cure red. I had one red card. Blue was upgraded to the point where curing it was a free action. Red was not. So we just needed to exchange one red card and have an action left to cure it and then trade one blue card to win this.

Guy to my right draws an epidemic card. The bottom-card infection is manageable. We shuffle and then used the forecast card to look at and rearrange the top 6. We put yellow on top, so that we essentially had one infection step where nothing would happen. The other three featured one blue city that already had 3 cubes, one blue city that had 2 cubes and one other city that only had one on somewhere. My turn comes around, since I'm next to the 3-cubed blue city, I cure that and make my way to Seoul so the guy on my left can meet me there for the card exchange. Infection phase goes through, since we knew what was coming it went off smoothly. He meets me in Seoul, we do the exchange and... bam. Red cured.

Now we just had one more thing to do. Dispatcher had to use his Paris card to fly there, move into Milan, use his dispatcher ability to move me to Milan as well and then give me the Milan card and then we'd cure the last disease and win. Milan had three faded figures and a quarantine. Paris had three faded figures and no quarantine and we knew its card was near the top of the infection deck. We couldn't afford an outbreak in Paris, since that would push it up to rioting and the dispatcher wouldn't be able to fly there directly. There was still one turn before the dispatcher's turn. But we had one last trick up our sleeve. The silent night card.

We skip one infection phase. Guy before the dispatcher gets a quarantine up on Paris. (Local pressure ability FTW). Lo and behold, during his infection phase, Paris pops up and the quarantine saves our asses. Dispatcher flies into Paris, moves into Milan, uses his ability to fly me in there and gives me the Milan card to cure blue.

Huge, huge, huge sighs of relief and high fives all around. We finally managed to break our losing streak.

Now the current state of our world is a bit of a mess. We have two cities left in Europe that aren't faded yet, London and Madrid. Eastern Europe, the Middle East, Western Asia and Australia are all infected. But we have put up permanent roadblocks to prevent it from spreading any further east. Africa, North America, South America and North-East Asia are still good. Our win bonus can allow us to set up a roadblock to prevent the spread down into Africa and block off some of the routes into North and South America. So we're on the verge of having it completely contained.

And we're only halfway through the campaign now...

7. Saying Thanks:

IbiE (October 3rd, 2016)  

Super Moderator
    Troll Team Tango
    Hodor
    Game IDs
    Experience

Just finished September.

This game just has a way of suckering you into complacency where you feel like you've got a grasp on everything and then blindsides you with another twist.

Just another 3 months until the end. What a ride it's been so far.

I see Raru has restocked. R1 142

If you're even on the fence about this, stop and get it. It's been more than worth the money.

Plus I'm already super excited about season 2.

9. Saying Thanks:

IbiE (January 13th, 2017)  

Experience

I have (/had) never heard of Pandemic, read this thread today and am now trying to get 5 guys together to buy and play this. This sounds amazing

Super Moderator
    Troll Team Tango
    Hodor
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Boogalum View Post
    I have (/had) never heard of Pandemic, read this thread today and am now trying to get 5 guys together to buy and play this. This sounds amazing
    Which one are you looking at getting?

Legacy is for 4 players.

Standard Pandemic is also 4 players.

Standard Pandemic with the On the Brink is for 5 players.

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Boogalum View Post
    Protip: Don't be an eager beaver and start off using all of the epidemic cards
    We did, and we got obliterated pretty quickly lmao.

13. Saying Thanks:

Buffel (January 16th, 2017)  

Super Moderator
    Troll Team Tango
    Hodor
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by IbiE View Post
    Protip: Don't be an eager beaver and start off using all of the epidemic cards
    We did, and we got obliterated pretty quickly lmao.
    This is always going to depend on your shuffling as well. Playing with all the epidemic cards is manageable if they all end up spaced far apart. But if you hit two in quick succession, then you're in trouble.

Though I know if I go back to Standard then I'm going to miss having access to the funded event cards to temper this.

15. Saying Thanks:

IbiE (January 16th, 2017)  

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Buffel View Post
    Which one are you looking at getting?

Legacy is for 4 players.

Standard Pandemic is also 4 players.

Standard Pandemic with the On the Brink is for 5 players.
    LOL, thanks, was looking at legacy.
    Protip: Make sure you check the number of players before organizing 5

17. Saying Thanks:

Buffel (January 17th, 2017),  IbiE (January 17th, 2017)  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast