Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Avengers Are Getting a Big New Video Game Series From the Makers of Tomb Raider

Game IDs
    Experience

"retailers will be receiving twice as many copies as they ordered, but won’t be required to pay any more."

That is the big difference, and it's what they should be doing in order to push a new book. People will be skeptical to invest in new characters and books and this gives the stores a way to hand out or sell the new launch titles for really cheap. Comic stores closing down is not just the fault of publishers, you can also look at the decline in the market as well as mismanagement. Very silly to put all the blame on Marvel or whoever else.

Print is dying we all know that, magazines are being cancelled all over the world, comics are no longer being produced in the millions like the early 90's which eventually caused the crash in the industry. X-men #1 selling 8 million copies is a thing of the past, very few comics even get 15000 prints, even Spawn which is now at issue #301 barely had 15k prints on previous issues where they ranged between 5-15k prints on that issue.

Also comic stores get massive discount on titles and that is also where variant incentives come in, 1:10, 1:25, 1:100 etc, these all sell for big money because you would need to purchase 100 copies just to get a 1:100 and if you get 100 copies you can also get up to 50% discount on the bulk order, included in that will be your 10 1:10 and 4 1:25 and whatever incentives there are. This is how many people make their money on ebay by doing this exact thing.

Comic stores also work off call orders, so if they are ordering 1000 copies of something they are mismanaging their business.
    PSN ID - Ibuki-Lord

Hidden Content

2. Saying Thanks:

KenMasters (October 23rd, 2019)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPrince View Post
    "retailers will be receiving twice as many copies as they ordered, but won’t be required to pay any more."...
    Ah, I should have checked the "source".

Gaming Wizard
    Conductor of the poop train
    Game IDs
    Experience

That is the big difference, and it's what they should be doing in order to push a new book. People will be skeptical to invest in new characters and books and this gives the stores a way to hand out or sell the new launch titles for really cheap. Comic stores closing down is not just the fault of publishers, you can also look at the decline in the market as well as mismanagement. Very silly to put all the blame on Marvel or whoever else.
    Not really current Marvel is responsible for their low sales. Only from the top of my head:

* Hiring people who have no writing experience, ignoring those who paid their due in the industry. To put this into perspective: They would rather hire someone that looks like the character with no prior experience in writing comics instead of hiring someone on merit. Case in Point Riri Williams from Iron Heart and we all know how well that sold.

*Marvel reboots their entire line more than 5 times from 2011-2018. People simply don't care about the franchises anymore.

*Marvel editors actually going out of their way to block indie comic book writers with tortious-interference:
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/09...ct-defamation/

* Regularly insulting their own fanbase on social media and then expecting them to buy their books:

* Using a dead man's Twitter account to advertise events even though the entire fanbase told them to stop it.

* Hamfistedly inserting their morals and politics into everything. Including their anti-trump derangement syndrome.

Print is dying we all know that, magazines are being cancelled all over the world, comics are no longer being produced in the millions like the early 90's which eventually caused the crash in the industry. X-men #1 selling 8 million copies is a thing of the past, very few comics even get 15000 prints, even Spawn which is now at issue #301 barely had 15k prints on previous issues where they ranged between 5-15k prints on that issue.
    142 titles in September sold well over 15000 copies, with the highest being over 200 000. Print media's death is highly over-exaggerated. The problem is the quality of the writing and how the writers treat the fans on social media:

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...9/2019-09.html

Also comic stores get massive discount on titles and that is also where variant incentives come in, 1:10, 1:25, 1:100 etc, these all sell for big money because you would need to purchase 100 copies just to get a 1:100 and if you get 100 copies you can also get up to 50% discount on the bulk order, included in that will be your 10 1:10 and 4 1:25 and whatever incentives there are. This is how many people make their money on ebay by doing this exact thing.

Comic stores also work off call orders, so if they are ordering 1000 copies of something they are mismanaging their business.
    That would be incorrect:

Here’s an example: Marvel announces a New Hotness book. They hype the crap out of it as the next big thing that will destroy all sales records before it. When it comes time to order, this book’s incentive structure is tied to an existing book retailers ordered big on. If you meet or exceed 125-200% of your order quantity on a previous title you ordered big on, enjoy an extra discount on the New Hotness.

These “incentives” are also tied to access to “order what you want” variant covers and more. Remember that Hip-Hop tribute covers Marvel did a while back? Did you have trouble finding some? Well, they were almost all tied into this incentive structure, at RIDICULOUSLY high percentage rates. To even have access to these covers, that Marvel hyped and customers were salivating over, retailers were required to overextend themselves through ordering more copies of many comics than they could possibly sell. This system creates a vicious ordering cycle. In order to qualify for incentive brackets, retailers had to order more and more and more copies of comics that continued to have a proven track record of poor sales. If you opted out it meant missing out on something that could, in theory, bring bodies into your store and generate sales.

For stores with 1 or more direct competitors, it meant taking the risk that your competition wouldn’t swoop in to steal your sales. Do you see the problem here? Retailers have been flooding their stores, spending tons of money on unreturnable dead weight because of empty promises of sales prosperity from Marvel. Then Marvel rebooted the line making the previous wave of comics even more worthless. That brings us to Legacy, which for many retailers was the last straw. When it was time to order Legacy, Marvel had a proven track record of failure and cons to entice retailers into ordering high for no good reason. Although Marvel promised lower incentive percentages on their must-have lenticular covers, that was an outright, bold-faced lie. Here’s a thread, including order percentages, detailing exactly how Marvel expected retailers to eat another spoonful of ****.

(Side note: this was a chance for comics journalists to perform some honest to god journalism. To my knowledge, every single outlet lets this one slide. Good job, guys.) Here’s the kicker: retailers who opted out of this latest con WERE ABLE TO ORDER LENTICULAR COVERS WITHOUT ADHERING TO ORDERING INCENTIVES AFTER THEY RELEASED. So retailers who actually took a leap of faith by having something exclusive got a slap to the face instead. With all that in mind, let’s take a look at Marvel’s diverse lineup. This line was the sales pitch for one of Marvel’s reboots fairly deep into the cycle. At this point, fans were already deeply fatigued with this relaunch nonsense and knew it was only a temporary measure. Honestly, everyone with half a brain knew this was a temporary measure.
    Source: https://twitter.com/SPD4649/status/910590168884592641
    Hidden Content Facebook Group:Hidden Content Instagram:Hidden Content

Gaming Wizard
    Conductor of the poop train
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    Ah, I should have checked the "source".
    Retailers have started to call it Marvels own ponzi scheme:

https://twitter.com/SPD4649/status/910590168884592641
    Hidden Content Facebook Group:Hidden Content Instagram:Hidden Content

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by larch View Post
    Retailers have started to call it Marvels own ponzi scheme:

https://twitter.com/SPD4649/status/910590168884592641
    As I said, clearly not a big deal to Marvel/Disney. Also, blog posts and tweets aren't the most solid of argumentative foundations.

EDIT: It's the cardinal mistake of following that which feeds your personal narrative.
    Last edited by KenMasters; October 24th, 2019 at 05:16 AM.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by larch View Post
    142 titles in September sold well over 15000 copies, with the highest being over 200 000. Print media's death is highly over-exaggerated. The problem is the quality of the writing and how the writers treat the fans on social media:
    It's still absolutely nothing compared to the millions and millions they use to sell in the 90's. The problem is not the quality of wirting which is currently better than it has ever been, how many books are currently going into second-fifth printings?

The current set of books that are out are absolutely fantastic. Hickman is doing an amazing job with House of X and Powers of X which has been praised worldwide by x-men fans, it effectively rebooted the franchise and it's an amazing read which has now branched off onto numerous titles showing various characters, X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur etc. The titles in this series have hit fourth and fifth printings, poorly written books don't do that.

Spawn #300 and #301 were massive titles as well, people that haven't bought a Spawn comic in 20 years went and bought those. As per your article, "Spawn #300 (third printing shown, at right) gave publisher Image its best monthly showing of 2019 with orders of more than 262,000", keep in mind there are 21 different covers for this title, I've bought #300 3 times. To put that into perspective, Spawn #1 sol 1.7million copies. That is a massive difference.

Captain Marvel's recent reboot has been amazing as well, introducing a new characters who will be getting her own solo series. Why is it an issue if things get rebooted? Some series don't work and new writers come in and people start enjoying the series again, like myself, I didn't enjoy previous titles but this current series has been amazing and it's also getting second and third printings on books.

Let's not even get started with the quality books that Cates has been working on, many have been fabulous and are also bringing in new characters as well as reviving older ones, working with characters like Venom, Carnage, Thor, GotG, they have all had some solid stories worthy of selling copies.

I suppose it's easier to criticize. I was unable to get a copy of Batman Beyond #37 today because I was not on a call order, instead of being stupid and ordering hundreds of copies of the same book my LCS ordered just for call orders, so I was the one being stupid by not putting myself down on the pull list, same with Marauders #1 , I wanted the 1:25 variant but the LCS didn't order that many and only ordered how many they thought would sell. Amazing that we can have comic shops here in SA using their brains and ordering what they need instead of ordering hundreds of titles they can't do anything with.

Maybe the issue is there being too many comic stores in the US and due to the competition all these peope are ordering titles they don't need to try and get incentives few can afford anyway. Both parties are to blame but pointing fingers one way is just being biased.

There are plenty of great books with great writers coming out from all the publishers.
    PSN ID - Ibuki-Lord

Hidden Content

Game IDs
    Experience

This game is really starting to pique my interest:

Get Excited!
    Experience

I am hesitant. Gameplay looks ok but I don't know if the story will be good.

Experience

Looks like the game got a delay along with the FF7 remake.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/14/2...avengers-games

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123