Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VR box

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    I guess this is particularly where wireless would have been a real winner.

Maybe that wireless upgrade thing would be even cheaper?

Oh but that still needs the camera and other units in the other location so wouldn't help.
    The lighthouses does not connect to the PC as far as I remember. They feed their data to the headset and the headset feeds the data to the system. So the lighthouses would have been ok, its the launching of the game titles that would have proving tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by fwwwn View Post
    And you don't have enough space to hide a standard ITX sized case somewhere in your living room? Next to the entertainment center, or behind furniture? Even if you have to run some longer cables then, it will still mean you get to build a better and cheaper system.
    The closest "hidden" place is about a 10m cable from the TV but it will still give issues when the house is being cleaned. This was literally the best option for the situation when I took everything into consideration.
    LG OLED 55C8|DENON X4400H
    XboneX - PS4 Pro - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

I thought there is a like a Steam VR thing that runs inside the headset?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    I thought there is a like a Steam VR thing that runs inside the headset?
    This is one misconception that everyone has. Even a friend thought I could use the headset as a display replacement. Essencially what SteamVR is a virtual room with grids spreading out, think the danger room from x-men. You cannot see any of your desktop on that. When the VR game launches the room goes black then starts showing you in game. From there on you have navigational control.

When you put on the headset and steamVR opens your black display turns into that grayish white room and if you look around you can see the lighthouses in whatever direction they were and you can see your steam vive controllers while you move them.

Exiting steamVR brings up a small menu where you point to close a game or to close and exit steamVR itself.

There are virtual desktop apps for SteamVR but I haven't used them. Also the output to your screen is 2 circular areas that overlaps so people can see what you are looking at.
    Hidden Content

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

That's pretty crap to be honest.

I would have figured you simply start SteamVR and then it shows all the VR-enabled games.

Much like BPM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Experience

Ok so the system arrived today. Easiest build I ever did. Just pop in the ram and drive and you are set to install windows. Took me far longer than it should have but I am damn lazy.
    Hidden Content

Experience

Ok the system is setup. My lighthouses placed. Tested a bit of VR. Its acceptable but clearly not as smooth as a proper 6700k and I assume the 1070 inside is doing all the heavy lifting because the games are still playable.
    Hidden Content

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post
    Ok the system is setup. My lighthouses placed. Tested a bit of VR. Its acceptable but clearly not as smooth as a proper 6700k and I assume the 1070 inside is doing all the heavy lifting because the games are still playable.
    Mind sharing some photos of the setup?

Experience

I took a panoramic picture but it won't help much. The meat of the setup is essentially a 3 layered glass stand with the LG E6V flowing so nicely in that it looks like an extension of the stand. As for the PS4 Pro, Wii U and Zbox they kinda just blend into the pictures that I am taking. The Xbone S being white stands out but it softened by the silver control unit of the Z5500 speakers.
    Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12