Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PS4 Pro Jet engine swop out

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by DeanoBlado View Post
    I was surprised how silent my pro was or is, compared to my regular PS4. i do sometimes hear the fan but there is no engines firing up even with HZD on 4k hdr settings.
    Yup. My mate's Pro is dead quiet during HZD. It's thermal lottery and nothing more.

Experience

Think i mite have to take my pro in to get swapped out as it started to sound like a bloody jet even when i do basic stuff.

Game IDs
    Experience

I can't remember which thread I complained in about this. Anyway, I was looking into getting a fan controller installed but that might introduce overheating and I found a reddit thread where someone replaced the thermal paste with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut.

I see Rebel Tech do stock it but they are out of stock at the moment. They said they're getting the 5g in July maybe. It is expensive but I've been so annoyed I'm willing to try it.

I found some on Amazon (along with some Thermal Grizzly thermal pads) and used MyUS to get it here. I think the seller was willing to ship here via the postal service but I've yet to receive any parcel in JHB via SAPO.

It arrived last week and I used a few tear down videos to see what I'm up against. A word of caution - this particular thermal paste is liquid metal and does conduct electricity so I used insulation tape all around my cpu - I've attached images below. It took me a few hours but I did sort it out last night/this morning. I used an app called Decibel X on my phone to measure before and after.

After finishing, I was very relieved to see it turned on It was even more silent than normal on non-pro enabled games; I should've measured this but it didn't bug me to begin with so this might be a placebo effect. However, after running God of war for about an hour after the operation and again for a few hours this morning it's at LEAST 10-15db quieter.

Here's screenshots of the readings. Both were measured in front of the ps4 pro (standing vertically) with my mic facing the console. The peak was a spike from me using the Home button to take the screenshot. If anyone wants any advice, let me know. The process seemed quite daunting but was a very rewarding experience.

CPU.jpg

Ball.jpg

Smeared.jpg

Before.jpg

After.jpg

4. Saying Thanks:

Vic54 (June 5th, 2018)  

Very Senior Member
    The Silent Killers: Mimes, Cholesterol and NiN...
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by QuiXilver View Post
    I can't remember which thread I complained in about this. Anyway, I was looking into getting a fan controller installed but that might introduce overheating and I found a reddit thread where someone replaced the thermal paste with Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut.
    I'm planning to do the same to mine. I have been reading up a bit on the different thermal paste options available, and even though Thermal Grizzly does give good results, there are quite a number of people reporting that it can introduce rust to the heatsink. Normal Arctic Silver 5 does a very good job, so I'm going to try that. Also replacing the thermal foam that press on the memory chips helps apparently.

I have found that the design and positioning of the air outlet and intake also contribute to the problem. If the Pro sits in the middle of a flat surface, it tends to recycle quite a lot of the warm air that has been expelled back into the unit. I moved my Pro so that the back sits flush to the back edge of the entertainment unit, so that the hot air blows down behind the cabinet and not bounce against the flat surface behind it and get taken back in. Made quite a big difference.
    A Sable Darkness, A Secret Deepness, A Solid Drumbeat...

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Vic54 View Post
    I'm planning to do the same to mine. I have been reading up a bit on the different thermal paste options available, and even though Thermal Grizzly does give good results, there are quite a number of people reporting that it can introduce rust to the heatsink. Normal Arctic Silver 5 does a very good job, so I'm going to try that. Also replacing the thermal foam that press on the memory chips helps apparently.

I have found that the design and positioning of the air outlet and intake also contribute to the problem. If the Pro sits in the middle of a flat surface, it tends to recycle quite a lot of the warm air that has been expelled back into the unit. I moved my Pro so that the back sits flush to the back edge of the entertainment unit, so that the hot air blows down behind the cabinet and not bounce against the flat surface behind it and get taken back in. Made quite a big difference.
    If it's an aluminium heatsink then it'll be a problem. There's no water so I'm not sure how rust was introduced. But there's a big warning message in the thermal paste packet that says to not use with aluminum.

There's 3 variants of Thermal Grizzly with conductonaut having the highest conductivity of 74 watts per meter-Kelvin. A good ceramic paste is in the 12-14w/mk range and the stock is around the 5-7w/mk range. I'm not sure where arctic silver falls into but you'll get the best results from liquid metal.

If you do change your mind and decide to go down the same route, make sure you use insulation tape around the cpu.

I also replaced the thermal pads on the memory. As you said, I'm sure that's also helping.

Game IDs
    Experience

What a coincidence; I used this guy's tear down videos and a day ago he uploads a vid of using Conductonaut.

Very Senior Member
    The Silent Killers: Mimes, Cholesterol and NiN...
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by QuiXilver View Post
    What a coincidence; I used this guy's tear down videos and a day ago he uploads a vid of using Conductonaut.
    Is that the correct way to apply it? The guy just blobs it down in the middle, and it looks like he does a really bad job of spreading it? I thought the liquid metal is supposed to cover every piece of the chip right to the corners?
    A Sable Darkness, A Secret Deepness, A Solid Drumbeat...

Game IDs
    Experience

Default PS4 Pro Jet engine swop out

Quote Originally Posted by Vic54 View Post
    Is that the correct way to apply it? The guy just blobs it down in the middle, and it looks like he does a really bad job of spreading it? I thought the liquid metal is supposed to cover every piece of the chip right to the corners?
    Lol I commented on the very same thing on his video. He replied saying he couldn't because the q tips weren't supplied. I'm not sure if normal ones would've worked tbh. Even the supplied ones struggled on the copper heat sink.

Edit: I didn't realize I already uploaded pics. I just removed them now from this post.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123