Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: External Hard Drive on PS4 (2.5" vs 3.5")

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Tag11 View Post
    So (despite the schlep), if I have 3x or 4x 1TB drives lying around, I can use multiple external drives for storage on the PS4 ? (So long as I remember what is where and only use 1 at a time?)

If one day I want to consolidate everything onto a 5TB drive, can it be done without having to redownload/install everything?
    Thread revive... prompted by imminent arrival of PS5

I have a 2TB external and 2TB internal drive on my PS4, both full. I also have 2x 1TB externals and recently bought a 5TB external for another reason/application.

If I consolidated all the PS4 games I have onto the 5TB (which makes it easy to plug into the PS5 and play there), is it worth all the schlep of moving the data around (will likely take 2 days).

Or, should I just move the games from the internal PS4 drive to the 2x 1TB externals, and maintain 3 different drives of games? Will it be a pain remembering which drive to plug in to access specific games?

I think I already know the best answer, but I'm lazy to consolidate all games to one drive and also know the 2x 1TB drives are gonna be relegated to the junk drawer if I don't use them... anyone been through something like this or juggling multiple externals?

Game IDs
    Experience

In preparation for the PS5 the way I have it set up is with a 6TB mechanical drive to store my library on and a 1TB SSD for the PS4 games I'm currently playing.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    In preparation for the PS5 the way I have it set up is with a 6TB mechanical drive to store my library on and a 1TB SSD for the PS4 games I'm currently playing.
    I think I might go that route, will just check what kind of SSD is available (I have a 1TB already, but it uses USB-C so I can't plug it into the PS4)... the prospect of juggling multiple drives of older content might not be worth it, so one large archive will probably be best.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Tag11 View Post
    I think I might go that route, will just check what kind of SSD is available (I have a 1TB already, but it uses USB-C so I can't plug it into the PS4)... the prospect of juggling multiple drives of older content might not be worth it, so one large archive will probably be best.
    Both my drives are USB C as well, they work perfectly with this C to A cable:

Belkin-Original-USB-3-1-USB-C-to-USB-C-Sync-Charge-Type-C-Cable-10Gbps.jpg_q50.jpg

As for sticking with one drive, that would be ideal, but price per TB makes mechanical the more attractive choice when it comes to archiving (using 3.5" drives [RAID 1]).

I'll have both the SSD and HDD connected to the PS5 at the same time. The HDD is housed in an enclosure with an on/off switch, so it'll just be set to off most of the time, only every so often will I switch it on to do some house keeping. In those instances I'll simply "eject" the USB drive before switching it on - simple enough.
    Last edited by KenMasters; November 13th, 2020 at 02:28 PM.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    Similar set up for me. I have the Samsung evo 1tb ssd. My question though is whatís the best way to connect this drive to the ps5 for maximum speeds? Itís currently in an enclosure with usb 3.0 (since the usb connector on my enclosure is blue Iím assuming itís usb 3.0?)

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Kush View Post
    Similar set up for me. I have the Samsung evo 1tb ssd. My question though is what’s the best way to connect this drive to the ps5 for maximum speeds? It’s currently in an enclosure with usb 3.0 (since the usb connector on my enclosure is blue I’m assuming it’s usb 3.0?)
    You'd need USB 3.1 (Gen 2) to get the most out of the SSD.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234