Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: The Home and Garden Thread

Addicted Member
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!
    Game IDs
    Experience

Mum ended up replanting the beet, spreading them out a bit more, and she harvested a batch last week, they were huge. (I hate beets so its all hers)
    As for the spinach, we always have a tray of seeds germinating as soon as we plant the next batch. We have found the spinach does well for about 2 - 3 months, then you need to plant a fresh batch. But by then the next batch is ready to go and within a week you have spinach again.
    Oh we removed the fennel as well since we realised we don't use it - mum just wanted to try growing it.

For the potatoes, we have gotten 4 BIG buckets, cut vents into the sides of 2, and will be filling them up with soil and planting potatoes in it. The spring onions need to be removed and restarted - the leaves got to big and flowered.

Protip - with most herbs, if they start flowering, cut the flowers off, or they start tasting weird.

Addicted Member
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by faeez13 View Post
    how the quality and yields of your produce
    Like I said before, the potato harvest was meh - but we figured out its the clay in the ground that they struggled with - they couldn't push their roots deep enough.
    The beets - mental, the longer you leave them in, the bigger and juicier they are.
    The beans - first batch we had enough for 2 meals (side portions covering half the plate- not worth the space it took)
    The second batch of beans from 4 /6 small bushes, we have harvest once so far and will get another one at least if not more. These are like the string beans you find in stores and they are yummy.
    Lettuce we replace the plant once they flowered - so every 3 / 4 months about - be careful and not plant too many or you will never finish using all the leaves.
    Same goes for things like basil - the plant just keeps producing - I have 6 big mayo jars in the freezer of homemade pesto now, and I have started giving it away as gifts.
    Once we do the potatoes again, I will update - normally from 1 potato you can get at least 10 - 20 potatoes.

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
    The beans - first batch we had enough for 2 meals (side portions covering half the plate- not worth the space it took)
    The second batch of beans from 4 /6 small bushes, we have harvest once so far and will get another one at least if not more. These are like the string beans you find in stores and they are yummy.
    Thanks for the photos.

My aunt from Zim brought down some "stane" beans. I have no idea what their actual name is but as I am told an old aunty Stane from way back in the day used to grow them and they were reportedly fabulous. I'd like to plant some of those myself come spring time in pots and see if anything comes of it.

4. Saying Thanks:

Wyvern (May 5th, 2021)  

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
    Like I said before, the potato harvest was meh - but we figured out its the clay in the ground that they struggled with - they couldn't push their roots deep enough.
    The beets - mental, the longer you leave them in, the bigger and juicier they are.
    Lettuce we replace the plant once they flowered - so every 3 / 4 months about - be careful and not plant too many or you will never finish using all the leaves.
    Same goes for things like basil - the plant just keeps producing - I have 6 big mayo jars in the freezer of homemade pesto now, and I have started giving it away as gifts.
    Once we do the potatoes again, I will update - normally from 1 potato you can get at least 10 - 20 potatoes.
    You have no chillies in your garden?

Its quite disappointing about the beans yield considering its an expensive item in the shop

You have anything in mind your replacing the beans with or any other future vegetables you be expanding to

6. Saying Thanks:

Transformer09 (May 6th, 2021),  Wyvern (May 6th, 2021)  

Experience

My friend would love this thread, he is crazy about living off the land and he actually took the step and bought a piece of land to start his own farm. He will be moving his current crops there once he has finished the prep work on the land

8. Saying Thanks:

Transformer09 (May 6th, 2021),  Wyvern (May 6th, 2021)  

Addicted Member
    Come come...
    Game IDs
    Experience

Little corner garden, completed a few months ago.

The storm follows in my wake

10. Saying Thanks:

bokka1 (May 10th, 2021),  FiveStarZA (May 9th, 2021),  KenMasters (May 9th, 2021),  Raikan007 (May 7th, 2021),  Uberutang (May 9th, 2021),  unstoppableErasor (May 7th, 2021),  Wyvern (May 6th, 2021)  

Addicted Member
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by faeez13 View Post
    You have no chillies in your garden?

Its quite disappointing about the beans yield considering its an expensive item in the shop

You have anything in mind your replacing the beans with or any other future vegetables you be expanding to
    We still want to try out carrots but need tubs for those, as well as trying things like some broccoli and other green veg. Problem is to grow veg that can keep without us freezing them. Peas are also on the list.

We don't grow chillies or green peppers simply because the one time we had chillies, we had the dogs eat them as well as the strawberries. Also chillies keeps coming up - we haven't planted one in 5 years and still get plants. I would love to grow green and red peppers but I am the only one who eats them

We also only grow cherry tomatoes, big ones get eaten by birds all the time, we also have a lemon tree and naartjie tree, the lemon is constantly giving us fruit, the naartjie took 3 years but we had our first harvest last season, can't wait for this season.

I think if we plant more beans we will get a bigger yield, we wanted to experiment first so as not to overdo it. We are only 3 people so we don't want to go mad.

12. Saying Thanks:

faeez13 (May 6th, 2021),  Raikan007 (May 7th, 2021),  Transformer09 (May 6th, 2021)  

Very Senior Member
    Best Trader 2013
    Married
    Game IDs
    Experience

nice, I literally just finished planting my Red Arabica coffee bean tree in my vegetable/herb part of my garden

14. Saying Thanks:

IbiE (May 7th, 2021),  Transformer09 (May 6th, 2021),  Wife of a Gamer (May 6th, 2021),  Wyvern (May 6th, 2021)  

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Raikan007 View Post
    nice, I literally just finished planting my Red Arabica coffee bean tree in my vegetable/herb part of my garden
    Where'd you get it?

Very Senior Member
    Best Trader 2013
    Married
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by IbiE View Post
    Where'd you get it?
    Modderfontein, jhb
    We call her tree aunty
    They have a **** ton of awesome plants mate. We got peach, avo, lime, cranberry, elderberry, blueberry and a whole bunch of herbs too

Range from small 5,10l to bigger ones like 40 to 60 liters

Lovely people too

17. Saying Thanks:

IbiE (May 8th, 2021),  Wyvern (May 7th, 2021)  

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast