Thread: LTE-A advice needed

Game IDs
    Experience

Default LTE-A advice needed

We recently moved to Gauteng and I chose a complex and area that said fibre ready. In fact the ads for the complex said so.

However the company Evotel that managed the fibre (that Vumatel laid) said that Vodacom bought them out. Long story short - I can't get fibre yet.

So I went with the lte-a option from Rain via Crystal Web. The hauwei b618 router and Sim arrived yesterday. After some messing around with the settings I'm able to get 35mb speed.

The max they said I could get is around 80mb. Now 35 is pretty damn good but I do like trying to get the most out.

I'm pretty new to lte and lte-a routers. Does anyone have any tips on improving the speed. I have been moving the router around our apartment btw.

Oupa
    en Ouma sit op die stoep.
    Game IDs
    Experience

Get an LTE antenna from Poynting , it helped quite a bit with my LTE signal. I have one for sale for 500 if you would like to try it , I paid R1200 for it .

3. Saying Thanks:

QuiXilver (September 13th, 2017)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Get an LTE antenna from Poynting , it helped quite a bit with my LTE signal. I have one for sale for 500 if you would like to try it , I paid R1200 for it .
    Is it a universal fit? Or brand / model specific? Does it fit on the router or do I have to mount it?

I'm renting here so mounting isn't an option.

Having said that I could just stick it, lol.

Oupa
    en Ouma sit op die stoep.
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by QuiXilver View Post
    Is it a universal fit? Or brand / model specific? Does it fit on the router or do I have to mount it?

I'm renting here so mounting isn't an option.

Having said that I could just stick it, lol.
    It has 5m coax cables with the same connector as the small antennas , I just cable tied it in the roof to the wooden trusses , but it comes with mounting brackets too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Saying Thanks:

QuiXilver (September 14th, 2017)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    It has 5m coax cables with the same connector as the small antennas , I just cable tied it in the roof to the wooden trusses , but it comes with mounting brackets too.
    Ah ok. I think I might just try and find the small antennas. I don't want to run cables around the apartment if I don't need to. I ended up moving the router to the lounge as I was getting mixed signals in the previous room. Slower but more consistent now.

As it is I refused to change the placement of our tv because I didn't want to run coax cables much to my wife's dismay. This is going to open up a can of worms I don't need right now

8. Saying Thanks:

Highwayman (September 14th, 2017)  

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by QuiXilver View Post
    Ah ok. I think I might just try and find the small antennas. I don't want to run cables around the apartment if I don't need to. I ended up moving the router to the lounge as I was getting mixed signals in the previous room. Slower but more consistent now.

As it is I refused to change the placement of our tv because I didn't want to run coax cables much to my wife's dismay. This is going to open up a can of worms I don't need right now
    Was it trying to rape you?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    Was it trying to rape you?
    Well it's hot and cold attitude had me confused. Then it just took advantage of me 🤣

11. Saying Thanks:

SauRoN (September 14th, 2017)