Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 1213141516

Thread: CES 2018

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by QuiXilver View Post
    That is a fair bit of cash. And you're right. Besides gamers and a few videophiles I don't think there's a market locally for it.

Would be nice to find someone that accepted eB as payment
    It's definitely not a business that makes sense in S.A. Reference meters would set you back around R200 000, then there's the pattern generator, that's another R 40 000, then the software is another R 20 000, then you need to pay the yearly license fee to keep the software up to date. You'll also have to pay to send your meters for re-certification once a year.

If you look at going the enthusiast route and doing it yourself, the cheapest option for reliably calibrating a 2018 LG OLED is an enthusiast level CalMAN license, an HDR C6 colorimeter and a VideoForge Pro pattern generator - which will still set you back about R 35 000.

Used to be much cheaper to calibrate a TV, but Ultra HD has complicated things considerably. Arguably it's not necessary anyway given how good many of the better brands are out the box these days already.
    Last edited by KenMasters; April 17th, 2018 at 01:19 PM.

2. Saying Thanks:

Madala_ZA (April 17th, 2018)  

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    Sounds like the Q9FN is for you (assuming it comes in at your price point).
    Thanks Ken. The Q9FN only comes in 65 and 75. The Q8FN comes in 55. Will research it a bit.

Game IDs
    Experience

It's definitely not a business that makes sense in S.A. Reference meters would set you back around R200 000, then there's the pattern generator, that's another R 40 000, then the software is another R 20 000, then you need to pay the yearly license fee to keep the software up to date. You'll also have to pay to send your meters for re-certification once a year.

If you look at going the enthusiast route and doing it yourself, the cheapest option for reliably calibrating a 2018 LG OLED is an enthusiast level CalMAN license, an HDR C6 colorimeter and a VideoForge Pro pattern generator - which will still set you back about R 35 000.

Used to be much cheaper to calibrate a TV, but Ultra HD has complicated things considerably. Arguably it's not necessary anyway given how good many of the better brands are out the box these days already.
    Jeez! I had no clue the equipment and software was so expensive.

Game IDs
    Experience

I recently decided I will keep my Oled E6 until the C9 launches next year. Looking at review the 6,7 and even 8 series are so similar. The 9 series should sport HDMI 2.1 so it would be a worthy upgrade for me.

The way I use an OLED it will take some years to develop burn in, which is why my E6 is still rock solid and awesome. The benefits would just be too little, I do like that the C8 finally has black frame insertion though, not that I ever complained. It's just nice to know that it's there for in case especially if the C9 is 4k120 capable over HDMi 2.1 (which it probably will be)
    Last edited by baasgene; April 17th, 2018 at 01:59 PM.

6. Saying Thanks:

Madala_ZA (April 17th, 2018)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Another review, looks like the European Q9FN is the same as its U.S. counterpart:

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1525936564

8. Saying Thanks:

QuiXilver (May 13th, 2018)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Another review, looks like the European Q9FN is the same as its U.S. counterpart:

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1525936564
    Awesome. Vincent said the same in his review. Just the stand is different.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 1213141516