Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: CES 2018

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    A bit disappointing I think. So that's essentially one FALD display coming to S.A., and no word yet whether it'll be the version featured on the U.S. Q8 or Q9. Clearly the 85" version's going to be silly money, a statement rather than a product.
    The Q9 is the winner, all else is basically the equivalent to 2017's range.

The Q8 I expect will have far less dimming zones than the Q9.

The performance and impressions of the Q9 certainly sounds impressive.

Around 2000nits with deeper blacks - can't wait for the guys to get their hands on it and review it properly.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by WarGod ZA View Post
    The Q8 I expect will have far less dimming zones than the Q9.
    The catch it that the Q8 is only FALD in the U.S. The E.U. version is edge-lit, which begs the question, which FALD implementation will be on the E.U./U.A. Q9?

Regardless, it will still be the best LCD available in S.A.
    Last edited by KenMasters; March 8th, 2018 at 11:37 AM.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    The catch it that the Q8 is only FALD in the U.S. The E.U. version is edge-lit, which begs the question, what FALD implementation will be on the E.U./U.A. versions - the U.S. Q8 or Q9?
    Oh.....i didn't catch that, but my eye and my money is on the Q9 for sure. So to me, personally, the others in the range don't really matter.

Happy that the leaked price range is around $4000 vs the 2017 price of $6000 and to further enforce my belief that the price will be lower is that samsung themselves said the pricing strategy is more aggressive for 2018, I reckon LG and OLED really hurt them in 2017 and the sales numbers reflected that.

So yeah, if it retails for around R45k here, I think it's a great unit (the Q9) for what it is and what we here in ZA get

4. Saying Thanks:

SPR1NGBOKKE (March 8th, 2018)  

Experience

Dunno how accurate this website is but according to them I need to sit about a meter closer to my TV... if not more.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by...e-relationship

At what distance does 4k and 1080p content become indistinguishable on a 55" TV? I would love to say having gone from a 1920x1080 23" to a 2560x1440 27" and 3440x1440 34" yielded more detail but the truth on that one is that my distance did not change and my dpi stayed the same. Only got a larger view area. But in a sense the same display area got more detailed though.
    LG OLED 55E6V|Samsung K950
    XboneX - PS4 Pro - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by WarGod ZA View Post
    I reckon LG and OLED really hurt them in 2017 and the sales numbers reflected that.
    And how, they went from an over 50% share in the premium TV market to less than 10% in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post
    At what distance does 4k and 1080p content become indistinguishable on a 55" TV? I would love to say having gone from a 1920x1080 23" to a 2560x1440 27" and 3440x1440 34" yielded more detail but the truth on that one is that my distance did not change and my dpi stayed the same. Only got a larger view area. But in a sense the same display area got more detailed though.
    With Ultra HD it's not about the resolution, it's about how much of the screen occupies your vision. The reason we used to talk about screen size and resolution in the HD days is because the pixels would become evident if you tried sitting at the ideal range - so the idea was to sit as close as possible before that happens.

THX and SMPTE independently came up with ideal ranges that more or less corroborate one another. It's from these recommendations that Rtings gets this chart:

Screen Size.gif

7. Saying Thanks:

onelargeprawn (March 8th, 2018),  QuiXilver (March 8th, 2018),  SPR1NGBOKKE (March 8th, 2018)  

Very Senior Member
    Hey There, Small Business Owner!
    Experience

Anyone maybe have a idea how much the Samsung Q6FN range could go for possibly?
    Last edited by GnarkillZA; March 8th, 2018 at 01:18 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Through the darkness of futures past. The magician longs to see. One chants out between two worlds. Fire walk with me.

Game IDs
    Experience

Did anyone see this?

http://www.avsforum.com/2018-samsung...um.com20180309

New flagship sound bar is the hw-n950. It's 7.1.4. I wonder how those side firing 2 channels will work....

And it has dts:x support! I wonder if they'll update our k950 to support the same.

Experience

Would like to see what it looks like. Will give my K950 to my sister and upgrade mine to the N950 depending on the looks.
    LG OLED 55E6V|Samsung K950
    XboneX - PS4 Pro - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

Game IDs
    Experience

I’ll sit this year out my E6 Oled is still the bees knees, will go for the C9 next year

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by QuiXilver View Post
    Did anyone see this?

http://www.avsforum.com/2018-samsung...um.com20180309

New flagship sound bar is the hw-n950. It's 7.1.4. I wonder how those side firing 2 channels will work....

And it has dts:x support! I wonder if they'll update our k950 to support the same.

13. Saying Thanks:

wgb (March 14th, 2018)  

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516 LastLast