Thread: Having 2 xbox one consoles connected. Advice needed please

Very Senior Member Distinctchip99's Avatar
    Experience

Default Having 2 xbox one consoles connected. Advice needed please

Hi everyone,

so I am considering selling my old consoles (xbox 360 and PS3) plus a bunch of games to fund my son with his own xbox one so we can play together linked online.

So the idea is to play games together at the same time which we wouldn't be able to do normally on 1 console.

Such as playing Dark Souls 3 together and assisting each other with bosses for example.

So:

1: Would we need more than 1 disc of the relevant games to be able to play together?
    2: If I went this route what would be the pitfalls I would have to consider?
    3: We both have our own Xbox Live profiles so that shouldn't be a problem.

I would appreciate any advice because I don't want to go that route before I have done all the research.

Regards,

Chris

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Just go digital and use the game sharing function.

That way you only need to purchase once copy of the game and one Xbox Live subscription.

The only pitfall would be that the "Owner" profile has to be online 24/7 to access the games library and would also need to be signed in for any secondary account to use the games on that console.

The other console would be "offline" and all profiles would work all the time.

Pretty much the only reason "game sharing" as a function exists is because Microsoft provisioned usage of two consoles in a single household.

https://support.xbox.com/en-ZA/games...tiple-consoles

EA Access, DLC and Game Pass also share.
    Last edited by SauRoN; March 28th, 2018 at 10:32 AM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

3. Saying Thanks:

Uberutang (April 6th, 2018)  

Oupa
    Deciding What 2 Buy next...
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Distinctchip99 View Post
    Hi everyone,

so I am considering selling my old consoles (xbox 360 and PS3) plus a bunch of games to fund my son with his own xbox one so we can play together linked online.

So the idea is to play games together at the same time which we wouldn't be able to do normally on 1 console.

Such as playing Dark Souls 3 together and assisting each other with bosses for example.

So:

1: Would we need more than 1 disc of the relevant games to be able to play together?

I would appreciate any advice because I don't want to go that route before I have done all the research.

Regards,

Chris
    1.) Yes you would need more than 1 disk, If you guys game share you will only need to buy one digital copy of a game
    2.) If both consoles are on auto update you are using double the data for the same game, you could just update on one console and copy the updated game to an external etc.
    3.) also if you gameshare you only need one person to have xbox live gold.
    Hidden Content
    the quieter you are the more you hear

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Distinctchip99 View Post
    Hi everyone,

So:

Regards,

Chris
    Game share.

So you'll be able to play digital copies together without any issue.

Sharing gold (xbox live) and any digital games as well as subscriptions you are registered to.

Basically anything digital buy once, share for free, some games make their DLC unavailable for sharing, but that is not the norm.

Easy to share, so buy digitally going forward if you want to share with your son.

Experience

no pitfalls.
    just go digital and make home console the secondary console.
    Other console needs internet to sign in to play, always.
    share everything, except some cosmetic dlc in certain games.

Experience

I have 2 Consoles and buy mostly digital, this way my son & I can play games together. Works out cheaper as well
    Buy on 1 account and use on 2 consoles