Thread: Question regarding connecting to ONT box via WAN port

Experience

Default Question regarding connecting to ONT box via WAN port

Hi there,

I had openserve come and do a fibre installation today. Yay!

Problem is that I can't get my TP-Link Archer VR400 modem router properly set-up. By googling a bit I see that I need to connect the ONT to this router via the WAN port. So I connected the WAN port on the router to the port marked LAN1 on the OTN box (Alcatel Lucent I-240G-D)

After connecting it and can see that it can pick up the ONT (I can browse to http://192.168.1.254) but I still can't access the internet.

I'm sure I'm missing a step or my router settings are incorrect in some way, but I'm not able to find anything useful with my limited google-fu. I would be super grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction, even if it's just a link to a guide.

Thanks!

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Deepred View Post
    Hi there,

I had openserve come and do a fibre installation today. Yay!

Problem is that I can't get my TP-Link Archer VR400 modem router properly set-up. By googling a bit I see that I need to connect the ONT to this router via the WAN port. So I connected the WAN port on the router to the port marked LAN1 on the OTN box (Alcatel Lucent I-240G-D)

After connecting it and can see that it can pick up the ONT (I can browse to http://192.168.1.254) but I still can't access the internet.

I'm sure I'm missing a step or my router settings are incorrect in some way, but I'm not able to find anything useful with my limited google-fu. I would be super grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction, even if it's just a link to a guide.

Thanks!
    Try manually entering DNS servers on router. Worth a shot.

Experience

Thanks for the reply. I gave it a go, but no luck yet

Apparently I needed to put the router into "Wireless Router Mode" on the operations mode screen, according to this link:
    https://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-442.html

It's still not working, but I'm one step closer to getting it to work

Experience

Who’s your isp and have you contacted them? I had a similar issue with my installation and after lots of moaning to my isp it turned out the ONT had not been provisioned properly by my infrastructure provider, Vumatel. Took a few days for them to fix it.

Experience

I'm with Crystal Web.

I gave them a call yesterday and gave them the B number on the box. The guy did ask me if telkom had activated the ports, but since I wasn't sure he recreated the port. I can see on the ONT box that the fibre light is green. From what I understand, that means the ONT at least has connection. My main problem at this stage is I'm not sure if it's the Modem router (or my setup), the ports or something with the CW account itself that's going wrong.

I'll be able to call the TP-Link support line in a few minutes, hopefully I'll be able to cross off one of those from the list.

Thank you for the heads-up though. After the TP-Link call, if it still doesn't work I'll just follow up with CW.

Game IDs
    Experience

Was the router the first device to connect to the ONT? I had to clone my PC MAC address to my router as I connected my PC directly to the ONT while i waited for my compatible router to be delivered.
    ★★★★★
    Gamertag: FiveStar ZA

Experience

Yebo, I connected the router first to the ONT.
    Haven't yet tried connecting directly from my PC to the ONT.

My gf mentioned now that the guy doing the installation did call someone to get something activated so I'm pretty sure now they activated the ports.

I'm starting to wonder if this router can properly connect using the WAN port....

Experience

Just wanted to let you guys know, seems there was some more work to be done on the ISP side. It's up and working now.

Thanks for all the replies

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Deepred View Post
    Just wanted to let you guys know, seems there was some more work to be done on the ISP side. It's up and working now.

Thanks for all the replies
    Yes the Mac address needs to be configured to work.

Usually this automatically gets done by the first device connected to it and then any new device would need to be "moved" onto the ONT before it can work.

You can spoof the Mac with many routers but that's a whole different conversation.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."