Thread: Powerline adapters

Game IDs
    Experience

Default Powerline adapters

Looking for a bit of feedback here on powerline adapters.

The issue is my area has massive congestion on all wifi channels (10+ competing router's in my area). So before I lay networking cables around my house the next best option are powerline adapters.

I'm looking at either the D-link or trendnet range which are 500Mbps and at putting in 4 pairs of adapters. Can anyone tell me if there's any downsides to these things, specifically on the gaming/media side. Also if there are any distance limitations.
    You know you about to fight the main Boss when the red dragon you fighting turn's & Say's **** this i'm outa here.

Game IDs
    Experience

I recently setup a powerline adaptor setup for a house. These were TP-Link AV-500s.

Assuming your router supports WPS, it should be a very rapid setup process. Obviously all power points where they're connected need to be on the same electrical circuit, so a distance limit may come in depending on how things are wired.

Colossus
    Interesting times.
    Experience

I use a pair of Toto Links which were cheap and work perfectly. Setup was stupid easy and fast.

Game IDs
    Experience

Mine struggles to jump circuit boxes. For example from the main house to the flat at the back both with their own circuit breaker boxes. It works but the latency sucks.
    3DS Friend code: 2320-6249-6707
    Wii U SA NNID: Viigeta

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by vegeta View Post
    Mine struggles to jump circuit boxes. For example from the main house to the flat at the back both with their own circuit breaker boxes. It works but the latency sucks.
    Yea, not really designed for that. Why not run some STP Cat 6 underground to the flat?

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by vegeta View Post
    Same problem I had, decided to pull cable in the end.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UrBaN View Post
    Yea, not really designed for that. Why not run some STP Cat 6 underground to the flat?
    Sure I will have to at some point but there's a stretch of paving I don't want to f up. But even inside the house when the plug is not on the exact same circuit breaker it struggles alot. One can rewire that I suppose.

Op I suggest you turn off the breakers one by one to determine if they're on separate breakers.
    Last edited by vegeta; March 30th, 2018 at 03:06 PM.
    3DS Friend code: 2320-6249-6707
    Wii U SA NNID: Viigeta

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UrBaN View Post
    I recently setup a powerline adaptor setup for a house. These were TP-Link AV-500s.

Assuming your router supports WPS, it should be a very rapid setup process. Obviously all power points where they're connected need to be on the same electrical circuit, so a distance limit may come in depending on how things are wired.
    The plan is to use a network cable at the router so WPS shouldn't be an issue. My biggest issue was high latency when gaming, but I suppose a test will be the only way to make sure.
    @vegeta The plugs are on different breakers, so that may be a problem. I'll get one set to test the wiring with.
    You know you about to fight the main Boss when the red dragon you fighting turn's & Say's **** this i'm outa here.

Game IDs
    Experience

I'm also running 2 x TP-Link AV-500 which work most of the time. sometimes they loose the link and it takes a few minutes for them to re-sync though this happens rarely. I had a 3rd TP-Link adapter with built in WiFi but that needed to be reset often for some odd reason. In my opinion if possible pull cable through the house.