Thread: Advice Needed : Gigbit switch vs relocation

Game IDs
    Experience

Default Advice Needed : Gigbit switch vs relocation

Hullo Gents

I have a 100mb FIBRE connection. I just recently bought an Archer C9 Gigabit Router, which is sitting on the far end of my house in the study. My consoles are sitting in my TV room. I have a 20m-30m CAT5 cable running to a 10/100 switch in the TV room and the consoles hooked up to the switch.

Now, my question is, which of the 3 options below would give me the best possible gaming connection :

1) Relocate the fibre to the TV room and hook up consoles directly to the C9 and do away with the switch
    2) Swap to a gigabit switch, but leave everything else the same
    3) Don't change anything, as there will not be any performance improvement from above

Option 1 is the most expensive while option 3 is obviously free. Option 2 is somewhere in between.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Experience

I am sure the networking genius (and renowned twat) @SauRoN will reply soon.

3. Saying Thanks:

SauRoN (April 5th, 2018),  scienide (April 6th, 2018)  

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
    Hullo Gents

I have a 100mb FIBRE connection. I just recently bought an Archer C9 Gigabit Router, which is sitting on the far end of my house in the study. My consoles are sitting in my TV room. I have a 20m-30m CAT5 cable running to a 10/100 switch in the TV room and the consoles hooked up to the switch.

Now, my question is, which of the 3 options below would give me the best possible gaming connection :

1) Relocate the fibre to the TV room and hook up consoles directly to the C9 and do away with the switch
    2) Swap to a gigabit switch, but leave everything else the same
    3) Don't change anything, as there will not be any performance improvement from above

Option 1 is the most expensive while option 3 is obviously free. Option 2 is somewhere in between.

Please let me know your thoughts.
    3) Strictly for gaming it will be worthless and offer no benefit whatsoever.

Even in general short of copying a **** load of data in the home from one system to another it won't have much real world benefit.

Streaming services won't cap your 100mb connection and besides you will be internet limited there anyway.

Downloads will also be internet limited so at most you might see a 5% difference if your current switch sucks.

If you absolutely must moving the fibre would be silly. But then your Router isn't providing the fiber anyway so you could just run a longer enthernet from the ONT to the router and use that as the switch then instead.

That is the least work and means one single cable run.

Actually you have the cable running to the switch already. So just go plug the router in where the switch is and plug the other end into the ONT.

Job done problem solved.

Still no real benefit but you'll be on gigabit.
    Last edited by SauRoN; April 5th, 2018 at 06:29 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

5. Saying Thanks:

Hiro (April 5th, 2018)  

Game IDs
    Experience

@SauRoN Oh. My. God. I'm speechless and bloody ashamed. I can't understand why I bloody didn't think of this sooner. You are absolutely bloody spot on! I can move the C9 to the TV room and use the cat 5 there to hook it up to the ONT in the study! Goddammit, why did I not lost this query ages ago.

Edit : I should clarify, it was not originally an option, as I had a desktop in study that needed ethernet connection. But, during Ng a recent camera installation, I got a second neater ethernet cable hooked up. So I can now use one to C9 and the other back to PC

7. Saying Thanks:

SauRoN (April 5th, 2018)  

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Well what do you know. The renowned twat strikes again.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

9. Saying Thanks:

Titano (April 6th, 2018)