Thread: Problem with range extender

Addicted Member
    I don't know the cool kids haven't placed me yet...
    Experience

Default Problem with range extender

So, I have a unique problem with my WiFi.

When I turn on my PC which hard connected to my router, the range extender goes all wonky.

It doesn’t matter if I have the VPN on or off.

Main router is an ASUS N17-U and extender is an ASUS Wireless N Router.

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

I can only imagine you've got the same static IP assigned to both devices.

Or have a static IP assigned which is inside your DHCP pool.

But maybe elaborate what you mean by wonky exactly. What are the symptoms?

Also wireless bridge to repeater or physical cable?

Does the "Wireless N Router" actually have repeater functions or have you just built your own hack job from an old router ?
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

3. Saying Thanks:

Selecta (April 8th, 2018)  

Addicted Member
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    I can only imagine you've got the same static IP assigned to both devices.

Or have a static IP assigned which is inside your DHCP pool.

But maybe elaborate what you mean by wonky exactly. What are the symptoms?

Also wireless bridge to repeater or physical cable?

Does the "Wireless N Router" actually have repeater functions or have you just built your own hack job from an old router ?
    Hey bud,

So, here's what happens. It's an ASUS RT-N12 (bought last year) which has a repeater function built into it.

It's connected wireless to the main router (physically connected to fibre).

When I turn on my machine, if a tablet or phone is connected to the repeater, it refuses to browse or do anything. The device will still be connected to the repeater but it will say "no internet connection" if you try go to a site.

Sometimes switching the WiFi off then on (on tab or phone) fixes it, or forgetting the connection and re-entering the password.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Then your gateway/DNS is configured wrong.

If you put a static IP on the repeater you need to give it the IP of the router as a gateway and DNS address.

Or you can just use DHCP so it gets it automatically from the router.

I would highly recommend not using wireless repeater function and running a cable between the two instead.
    Hidden Content

6. Saying Thanks:

Selecta (April 10th, 2018),  SPR1NGBOKKE (April 10th, 2018)  

Experience

@Selecta I had a similar issue with a WiFi range extender only working intermittently. It was a real pain in the ass. Even when I hard wired it I had some speed issues at the wireless handover point. So I just configured it as an AP instead. Now I have 2 APs in my home and manually switch when I need to - which thankfully is not too often.

8. Saying Thanks:

Selecta (April 10th, 2018)  

Addicted Member
    Experience

Then your gateway/DNS is configured wrong.

If you put a static IP on the repeater you need to give it the IP of the router as a gateway and DNS address.

Or you can just use DHCP so it gets it automatically from the router.

I would highly recommend not using wireless repeater function and running a cable between the two instead.
    Thanks bud, will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Madala_ZA View Post
    @Selecta I had a similar issue with a WiFi range extender only working intermittently. It was a real pain in the ass. Even when I hard wired it I had some speed issues at the wireless handover point. So I just configured it as an AP instead. Now I have 2 APs in my home and manually switch when I need to - which thankfully is not too often.
    It's only when my PC is on, strangely enough. Gonna try Sauron's suggestion and see if it takes.

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Unless you have enterprise grade kit where the "server" handles the handover or using a Mesh system there really is no handover at all.

Your client device will hold onto an SSID until it literally can't reach it any more, then scan while disconnected and then connect to the new SSID that it finds.

This normally happens quickly enough not to be perceived, but in the case of say a VOIP call or unbuffered stream you will have a moment of disconnect or even a fresh re-connection.

TLDR; whether repeating (glorified AP that is open on two channels to receive and then broadcast) or purely a standard AP there is no "handover" as such.

It's why mesh networks are the latest and greatest thing in consumer networking.

That being said a dedicated AP (aka wired to the other unit and not a wireless bridge) just loses a lot of complexity and potential issues while retaining full bandwidth, whereas a repeater cuts your bandwidth in half.
    Last edited by SauRoN; April 10th, 2018 at 02:01 PM.
    Hidden Content

11. Saying Thanks:

Selecta (April 11th, 2018)  

Experience

Unless you have enterprise grade kit where the "server" handles the handover or using a Mesh system there really is no handover at all.

Your client device will hold onto an SSID until it literally can't reach it any more, then scan while disconnected and then connect to the new SSID that it finds.

This normally happens quickly enough not to be perceived, but in the case of say a VOIP call or unbuffered stream you will have a moment of disconnect or even a fresh re-connection.

TLDR; whether repeating (glorified AP that is open on two channels to receive and then broadcast) or purely a standard AP there is no "handover" as such.

It's why mesh networks are the latest and greatest thing in consumer networking.

That being said a dedicated AP (aka wired to the other unit and not a wireless bridge) just loses a lot of complexity and potential issues while retaining full bandwidth, whereas a repeater cuts your bandwidth in half.
    Yeah agreed. But the “hang on” period is noticeable for me if I am using internet at that time - in those instances I manually switch. For WhatsApp type of use it’s not noticeable of course.

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Yeah agreed. But the “hang on” period is noticeable for me if I am using internet at that time - in those instances I manually switch. For WhatsApp type of use it’s not noticeable of course.
    Yeah for sure it's better.

Probably for having a different SSID and different channel whereas the repeater would have the same and confuse the client.
    Hidden Content