Thread: Apple TV (4th gen) not working.

Experience

Default Apple TV (4th gen) not working.

So my ATV4 (non 4K version) seems to be dead. Very lightly used, and was working fine as of only a few days ago.
    There is no light indicator to show that it is on. No image at all on TV screen.

No power outages or lightning strikes or anything of the sort at that time, that I can at least pinpoint to and say that might have been why it got damaged and is not working.

I've tried disconnecting the power cord, removing the HDMI cable, and then reconnecting them after a short time. Nothing.
    Tried it on a different TV with a different HDMI cable, as well as with a different official Apple TV power cord. Again, no joy.

Tried restoring it via iTunes using an USB-C data transfer connector. It doesn't even show up on iTunes at all.

The ATV4 unit feels slightly warm to the touch, so at least it is getting fed power. But, as I say, it's pretty much a brick in its current state.

The only thing I can think of is maybe if it did an auto-update for the latest firmware, and that bricked it. But I can't be sure of that.

So, any ideas, suggestions? This was bought back in Oct, 2016. Warranty period is now over.

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

You can try connecting the USB-C then the Power and immediately holding Home + Menu on the remote until it starts blinking, then release and press Menu + Play until it shows up in iTunes.

However with no lights turning on I fear the above won't even be possible.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    You can try connecting the USB-C then the Power and immediately holding Home + Menu on the remote until it starts blinking, then release and press Menu + Play until it shows up in iTunes.

However with no lights turning on I fear the above won't even be possible.
    Ok, I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

Gaming Wizard
    Praise Lord GabeN
    Game IDs
    Experience

On a related note, I so deeply regret getting an Apple TV 4. The app store gives s**t when you want to download apps with foreign accounts, the remote is hard to use, the Netflix app is almost unusable it's so bad, there's no VPN option for when smart DNS isn't enough etc. Just hate the thing.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Pies View Post
    On a related note, I so deeply regret getting an Apple TV 4. The app store gives s**t when you want to download apps with foreign accounts, the remote is hard to use, the Netflix app is almost unusable it's so bad, there's no VPN option for when smart DNS isn't enough etc. Just hate the thing.
    You know you don't have to use the supplied remote, you can set it to accept signals from any IR remote. As for the rest, that's on you surely for not using it as intended.

6. Saying Thanks:

SauRoN (April 10th, 2018),  SPR1NGBOKKE (April 11th, 2018)  

Experience

Ok, so I tried the suggestion method of earlier. The unit doesn't respond or show up on iTunes at all.

Will take it in to an Apple service center. Hopefully it can be repaired, and that they don't give me too much of a klap with what they'll charge me for doing so.

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Pies View Post
    Not at all surprised, I bet you hated it before you used it.

Outside of VPN, which I can't fathom why you would want on a client device instead of on the gateway I don't have any of these issues.

Jump regions happily, remote is fine and this is the best version of Netflix around and uses the same in most other devices.

Now the new Youtube app and remote together I could understand as a complaint but that's purely the App.

I'm with Ken here you are obviously using it wrong.

After Roku, Fire TV, custom HTPC and Android TV we experiments I'm overjoyed by the Apple TV.

So much so I'll buy another one when I go 4K.
    Last edited by SauRoN; April 10th, 2018 at 11:45 PM.
    Hidden Content

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZA View Post
    Ok, so I tried the suggestion method of earlier. The unit doesn't respond or show up on iTunes at all.

Will take it in to an Apple service center. Hopefully it can be repaired, and that they don't give me too much of a klap with what they'll charge me for doing so.
    Yeah with no lights on I suspect you have a dead power supply.

Wonder if there is a fuse that can be replaced.

Might I suggest Dennis in Paarden Eiland since it's out of warranty?

https://www.sacomputers.co.za/contact

He has done many component level repairs directly and indirectly for me over the years where iStore and Digicape wanted to do full swop outs of logic boards at 10 times the price.
    Last edited by SauRoN; April 10th, 2018 at 07:25 PM.
    Hidden Content

10. Saying Thanks:

GAZZA (April 10th, 2018)  

Very Senior Member
    Experience

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    Yeah with no lights on I suspect you have a dead power supply.

Wonder if there is a fuse that can be replaced.
    I actually opened up the unit. Put the multimeter to it. That built-in power supply is giving me the right readings. It's functional. So it doesn't appear to be a power issue.

I think I'll use your suggestion and contact the person you referred to in your earlier post.

13. Saying Thanks:

SauRoN (April 16th, 2018)