Page 116 of 119 FirstFirst ... 166696112113114115116117118119 LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1183

Thread: LG OLED TV Discussion

Gaming Wizard
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yarik11 View Post
    Last time I checked out soundbars was about three years ago, when my previous Philips 5.1 home theatre in a box packed up, and my impressions were very similar to yours.

Checked out about three soundbars at Makro (up to 8-9k) and was thoroughly underwhelmed by all of them. The 2010 Philips (which didn't even have a proper amp) blew them all out of the water.

Ended up getting a 5.1 Yamaha Home theatre instead, which was excellent (and much better than the Philips, since it had a proper amp).

But at the end of the month we are moving to a smaller place so I'm actually looking to sell the Yamaha and get a semi-decent soundbar instead.

Would also be interested in hearing people's views.

P.S. My plan B is to us the Yamaha as a 3.1 setup instead.
    When leaving SA for UK, I had to get rid of my Yamaha 5.1 setup, and I bought the mid-range LG SL7Y this side. I chose primarily for 3.1 setup as I wanted the centre channel to hear the dialog better, and I am glad I did. You can actually buy rear speaker set that connects wirelessly to the bar if you want 5.1 sound, and you can use these to connect to most of the mid and upper range sound bars. It also comes with wireless subwoofer.

The sound is pretty good, bass is ok, the active sub isn't the punchiest. For me thought I don't really use it for playing music, but it has decent quality at loud volume though for the small houses in UK.

If I were to buy now, I would likely choose the a 3.1.2 (2 upward during speakers on bar) as it will have Dolby Atmos, as well. As other HD audio formats.

Just remember, all the speakers are in front, so without the rear speakers, surround is pretty much lost, regardless of the virtual sound modes. Also, they aren't Yamaha

2. Saying Thanks:

DelboyZA (November 23rd, 2020),  yarik11 (November 21st, 2020)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
    When leaving SA for UK, I had to get rid of my Yamaha 5.1 setup, and I bought the mid-range LG SL7Y this side. I chose primarily for 3.1 setup as I wanted the centre channel to hear the dialog better, and I am glad I did. You can actually buy rear speaker set that connects wirelessly to the bar if you want 5.1 sound, and you can use these to connect to most of the mid and upper range sound bars. It also comes with wireless subwoofer.

The sound is pretty good, bass is ok, the active sub isn't the punchiest. For me thought I don't really use it for playing music, but it has decent quality at loud volume though for the small houses in UK.

If I were to buy now, I would likely choose the a 3.1.2 (2 upward during speakers on bar) as it will have Dolby Atmos, as well. As other HD audio formats.

Just remember, all the speakers are in front, so without the rear speakers, surround is pretty much lost, regardless of the virtual sound modes. Also, they aren't Yamaha
    Thanks so much for the detailed feedback, Adrian!

Indeed one of the options I'm looking at is the LG SL8Y, which is a 3.1.2 setup, so good to hear that you are happy with the sound on a similar model.

A cheaper option would be the Sony HT - X8500.

And yes, I've looked at Yamaha soundbars as well, but not keen to pay R12k for one.

Yeah, for the the main use would be movies and TV series, so clear dialogue is one of the most important requirements
    Follow me on Twitter: Hidden Content
    Drop me a message and I'll follow you back! Hidden Content

4. Saying Thanks:

Uberutang (November 21st, 2020)  

Gaming Wizard
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

Thanks so much for the detailed feedback, Adrian!

Indeed one of the options I'm looking at is the LG SL8Y, which is a 3.1.2 setup, so good to hear that you are happy with the sound on a similar model.

A cheaper option would be the Sony HT - X8500.

And yes, I've looked at Yamaha soundbars as well, but not keen to pay R12k for one.

Yeah, for the the main use would be movies and TV series, so clear dialogue is one of the most important requirements
    I see the SN#Y models are out, so maybe look at them as they have the HDMI 2.1 port and probably other updated tech.

You can set volume offsets on the speakers, so I have set my centre to +2 for the dialog. Also, it comes with night mode which is great when family is in bed and I want to watch movies or play games. Basicslly flattens the sound and kills the bass.

The final feature is use every now and again it's the chromecast which allows me to stream music from my phone directly to the bar. Not often, but it works well. You would need Android though. I don't recall seeing Airplay for Apple phones, but it had BT that can also be used
    Last edited by AdrianH; November 21st, 2020 at 10:13 AM.

6. Saying Thanks:

yarik11 (November 21st, 2020)  

Game IDs
    Experience

I see the SN#Y models are out, so maybe look at them as they have the HDMI 2.1 port and probably other updated tech.

You can set volume offsets on the speakers, so I have set my centre to +2 for the dialog. Also, it comes with night mode which is great when family is in bed and I want to watch movies or play games. Basicslly flattens the sound and kills the bass.

The final feature is use every now and again it's the chromecast which allows me to stream music from my phone directly to the bar. Not often, but it works well. You would need Android though. I don't recall seeing Airplay for Apple phones, but it had BT that can also be used
    I did have a look at what Atmos soundbars are available in SA, but the SN8 has not been officially released yet. Indeed would prefer the latest one, but I'm sure it will be more expensive as well. The SN7 is out but goes for 9.5k. The SL8 was 7k on special on Takealot recently and I expect it to be the same on Black Friday. Once the SN8 is out here, it will probably be 10k +. So not sure it's worth it for my usage for eARC and HDMI 2.1.

In terms of music I was always happy with either a Bluetooth connection or Spotify app on the TV, so I'm sure most soundbars will serve that purpose.

Most likely I will just see what specials there are on Black Friday and make a call.

Thing is, the internal speakers in the CX are actually not that bad. Certainly the best TV speakers in a TV I've ever heard. The voices are clear, and there is a little bit of a surround effect. But what they lack in is power, being only 40w.
    Follow me on Twitter: Hidden Content
    Drop me a message and I'll follow you back! Hidden Content

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

I did have a look at what Atmos soundbars are available in SA, but the SN8 has not been officially released yet. Indeed would prefer the latest one, but I'm sure it will be more expensive as well. The SN7 is out but goes for 9.5k. The SL8 was 7k on special on Takealot recently and I expect it to be the same on Black Friday. Once the SN8 is out here, it will probably be 10k +. So not sure it's worth it for my usage for eARC and HDMI 2.1.

In terms of music I was always happy with either a Bluetooth connection or Spotify app on the TV, so I'm sure most soundbars will serve that purpose.

Most likely I will just see what specials there are on Black Friday and make a call.

Thing is, the internal speakers in the CX are actually not that bad. Certainly the best TV speakers in a TV I've ever heard. The voices are clear, and there is a little bit of a surround effect. But what they lack in is power, being only 40w.
    I wouldnít touch any Atmos sound bar that doesnít have rear speakers.

Very sad we donít get the Nakamichi Soundwafe Ultra 9.2 here. Thatís probably the best all bases covered sound bar one could buy.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

9. Saying Thanks:

Uberutang (November 21st, 2020)  

Gaming Wizard
    RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!!!
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    I wouldnít touch any Atmos sound bar that doesnít have rear speakers.

Very sad we donít get the Nakamichi Soundwafe Ultra 9.2 here. Thatís probably the best all bases covered sound bar one could buy.
    As I mentioned, for these LG sound bars you can buy the rear speaker set that connect wirelessly to the bar. I would have if I had space

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

As I mentioned, for these LG sound bars you can buy the rear speaker set that connect wirelessly to the bar. I would have if I had space
    Or just buy the newer ones that come with it out of the box.

But that was my point donít compromise on a front only system.
    Hidden Content

Game IDs
    Experience

You're referring to the Spk8, right? Very hard to find though, moreso here in SA.

The SL10Y I have does a good job without it but it's definitely missed.

Which is why I'm drawn to the SN11RG.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    Or just buy the newer ones that come with it out of the box.

But that was my point donít compromise on a front only system.
    Yeah I agree. I had the Sammy Hw-k950 which had the rears but those did disconnect a few times from the soundbar. I've had better integration with my LG SL10Y and my Sammy tv than the Sammy soundbar and tv.

The lg does a very decent job of simulating surround sound but you can't best physical speakers.

The Spk8 is a nice addition but near impossible to get. I'd opt for rears out the box given what I've experienced.

Or if one has the cash to splurge on a Sonos setup then you can just get those rears when one has the cash. It seems a lot more accessible here. And flexible enough to use other Sonos speakers as rears.

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by QuiXilver View Post
    Yeah I agree. I had the Sammy Hw-k950 which had the rears but those did disconnect a few times from the soundbar. I've had better integration with my LG SL10Y and my Sammy tv than the Sammy soundbar and tv.

The lg does a very decent job of simulating surround sound but you can't best physical speakers.

The Spk8 is a nice addition but near impossible to get. I'd opt for rears out the box given what I've experienced.

Or if one has the cash to splurge on a Sonos setup then you can just get those rears when one has the cash. It seems a lot more accessible here. And flexible enough to use other Sonos speakers as rears.
    Sonos seems VERY limited from the HDMI ports and forwards compatibility point of view. Especially for what it costs.

You can literally buy the new LG every other year and still get away cheaper.

Iím sure the Sonos sounds better overall, but likely not in proportion to the price.
    Hidden Content

Page 116 of 119 FirstFirst ... 166696112113114115116117118119 LastLast