Thread: LG OLED TV Discussion

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Default LG OLED TV Discussion

Consolidated Settings

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    It took some time to familiarise myself with but I've got a good handle on LG's menu system now, so let me know if there's any settings you're unclear on.

Having spent more time with an OLED now, I have learnt something new - while often stated, it's not true the off angle viewing is as good as a plasmas, in action it's actually similar to a VA LCD, except that in OLED's case you don't lose saturation, rather a shift in colour temp.

I sit face on so not a problem, I lament the loss of motion resolution of my plasma, but overall I'm very impressed by the OLED.
    I'll spend a bit more time with it before I make a thread about my moans and groans and then you can probably comment there rather than we go off topic with this thread.

The fact that LG provides no proper manual and hides a lot of stuff in obscure corners of the internet means I missed things like Active HDR only really being on if you have Dynamic Contrast on Low.

So the Xbox One X wasn't being very spectacular in HDR until I turned that hidden setting on.

Also had a nightmare of a time getting ARC to work and then once I did huge audio delay issues.

My first few days with it has been less than spectacular but now it's finally at a point where I can just consume and appreciate before commenting.
    Last edited by SauRoN; May 10th, 2018 at 12:53 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

2. Saying Thanks:

QuiXilver (May 10th, 2018)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    I'll spend a bit more time with it before I make a thread about my moans and groans and then you can probably comment there rather than we go off topic with this thread.

The fact that LG provides no proper manual and hides a lot of stuff in obscure corners of the internet means I missed things like Active HDR only really being on if you have Dynamic Contrast on Low.

So the Xbox One X wasn't being very spectacular in HDR until I turned that hidden setting on.

Also had a nightmare of a time getting ARC to work and then once I did huge audio delay issues.

My first few days with it has been less than spectacular but now it's finally at a point where I can just consume and appreciate before commenting.
    Hahahaha and I thought I was finicky, heck I almost got a heart attack yesterday. Look how my 5% grey slide looked OOTB :

IMG_3082.jpg

That is nuclear level bad! But luckilly, I was on the verge of returning it when I decided to run the Pixel Refresher. Lo and behold it now looks like this :

IMG_3088.jpg

So Oleds are not all sunshine and laughter obviously, they too have a lot of shortcomings as you now realized. As Ken said my initial result OOTB was probably thanks to it being in the truck the whole day, Oleds are sensitive to warm temperatures and it probably affected the result.

Other than that no complaints on my C7, the differences compared to the 6 series is good enough that I am satisfied with my upgrade.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post

I thought that might be the case. Was wondering why I didn't see any feedback from you.

I would love to see some videos if you do take them. Of games, media (set top box and disc) and sports.

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    I thought the menus did a good job of explaining what they do, and I believe the manual is tucked away in the setting somewhere - but I understand how it can be confusing.
    Yeah in general they do but specific to this Low Dynamic setting and the Edge Enhancement setting it doesn't explain itself. At least not on the C7.

I actually don't like what the feature does, left it off. I was very impressed by the C8s HDR performance - which shouldn't be too far off the C7.

I believe the dark HDR thing isn't a problem for Game Mode on the 2018 models is it? So you probably don't need this setting to fix it.

But you probably aren't using Game Mode at all?

Again for me it worked fine, but annoyingly it insists on implementing CEC along with the deal, so went with optical instead.
    My issues were a cable related problem but it lead to endless frustration assuming that ARC just didn't work.

I had a weird issue where stuff like Grand Tour I would hear the audience and background noises but not the vocals from Clarkson etc. And this straight from the TV App so it didn't seem like a limitation of passthrough.

Tried Optical but I actually want the CEC stuff so I can use one remote etc.

There's a simple way to figure out the audio delay settings for the various picture modes. All you need to do is connect the TV to the AVR via optical, then connect something like a PS4 or Apple TV directly to the TV and select Dolby as the audio output type. On the TV make sure to select optical + TV for audio output.
    Nah it actually turns out to be a firmware failure. If you have Dolby Atmos enabled for the internal speaker it causes a delay for external sound system. So you need to enable internal speaker, then disable Atmos, then enable external and the problem is solved.

These issues and little "tricks" you need to find are just really frustrating when you just got a new toy and it isn't working properly so you can just enjoy stuff.

What viewing modes are you using? Even the accurate ones can do with a bit of tweaking, check that all the superfluous processing is deactivated, the Sharpness setting is at neutral and OLED light should be at around 30-35 for SDR content. Also check the the screen ratio is on Original with Just Scan On.
    Yeah I've followed the usual routine of everything off and Just Scan.

I've actually not even looked at any SDR content because the HDR stuff has just been so underwhelming. It's partly I guess a case of buyer's remorse and expectation of wanting everything to look like the amazing screensaver images which I know is a false expectation because that would be expecting the source material to be all vivid and overblown.

Guess I've just heard too many people say "oh you'll be amazed by real HDR" and yet here I am only finding it very subtly different and not 25k better, and the same people are probably running it in Vivid mode or something.

Do you use Game mode at all? And if you do how much do you alter in? On one hand I want to make it all warm to match the Cinema Home option but then I half question whether developers aren't by now mastering content to match these Game modes and if the cold temperature isn't really the way to go?

So I've left Game mode as is and flip between it and Cinema Home and I still remain underwhelmed by the Xbox. Hellblade in many ways looked better to me on 1080p TV.

PS4 Pro looked much more obviously better but I have only really checked out HZD as a known quantity. The fact that it renders the OS in UHD + HDR also throws your perception off over the 1080p non-HDR Xbox Dashboard.

Maybe you can post your settings for the different consoles just as a baseline? Outside of colour calibration of course.

The C8 by and large adds the Black Frame Insertion right? Do you use that at all?

I've found UHD Movie content to be pretty good, it's just that games haven't blown me away like everyone raves. It's better sure, I just don't find it amazing.
    Hidden Content

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by baasgene View Post
    So Oleds are not all sunshine and laughter obviously, they too have a lot of shortcomings as you now realized.
    This. I also thought oleds was my silver bullet for motion resolution after spending 5 years with my plasma (Ps51D550) and getting annoyed with my lcd.

Game IDs
    Experience

Dark/dim HDR wasn't always a thing, it was an update LG pushed last year that affected both the 2017 and 2016 sets, I'm pretty sure it's affected the 2018 sets too. Work around is basically Dynamic Contrast on High, it doesn't destroy the image like Dynamic Contrast usually does. It was a topic I was interested in back when they made the change, LG's own engineers said you should use Dynamic Contrast on high if you're using HDR Game Mode.

According to LG this change was made because it improved shadow levels and dark content on HDR Game, not that I can confirm that at all but their engineers said so.

I bet you've googled it, there are hordes of threads about it.
    Last edited by baasgene; May 10th, 2018 at 11:39 AM.

Experience

My original reason for going with the E6 was to keep my 3D blurays. Already said it would have been cheaper to just replace all the 3D blurays and buy a Samsung UHD HDR instead but I still don't regret getting the E6.

Yeah the dynamic contrast thing takes me back to early this year or late last year where I complained that dc off was too dark and the way I got around it was to enable it on medium. So... now we have 3 options. @KenMasters suggest dynamic contrast on low, I use it on medium, and @baasgene says high. So which one do we use? And btw I run all my HDR stuff on game mode. Infact my TV is permanently in game mode.
    LG OLED 55C9|DENON X4400H
    SeX - PS5 - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by baasgene View Post
    Hahahaha and I thought I was finicky, heck I almost got a heart attack yesterday. Look how my 5% grey slide looked OOTB :

IMG_3082.jpg

That is nuclear level bad! But luckilly, I was on the verge of returning it when I decided to run the Pixel Refresher. Lo and behold it now looks like this :

IMG_3088.jpg

So Oleds are not all sunshine and laughter obviously, they too have a lot of shortcomings as you now realized. As Ken said my initial result OOTB was probably thanks to it being in the truck the whole day, Oleds are sensitive to warm temperatures and it probably affected the result.

Other than that no complaints on my C7, the differences compared to the 6 series is good enough that I am satisfied with my upgrade.
    I haven't even got to that anal level of checking 5% etc as I'm usually not too fussed with that stuff. I do think the OLEDs will take some time to "burn in" and that's probably what the pixel refresher did for you somewhat.

Half my problem is just that it's very overwhelming with the amount of options and between SDR and HDR switching you have a separate colour profile for every bloody single thing.

I don't think the shortcomings as you say are strictly OLED related but rather just finding the right settings is a lot more work than on a "basic" TV.

Like I said part of me is also questioning if a 70-inch Nano LED wouldn't have given me 95% the same experience with a much larger display.
    Last edited by SauRoN; May 10th, 2018 at 11:42 AM.
    Hidden Content

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post
    My original reason for going with the E6 was to keep my 3D blurays. Already said it would have been cheaper to just replace all the 3D blurays and buy a Samsung UHD HDR instead but I still don't regret getting the E6.

Yeah the dynamic contrast thing takes me back to early this year or late last year where I complained that dc off was too dark and the way I got around it was to enable it on medium. So... now we have 3 options. @KenMasters suggest dynamic contrast on low, I use it on medium, and @baasgene says high. So which one do we use? And btw I run all my HDR stuff on game mode. Infact my TV is permanently in game mode.
    Me too, I think Medium/High is good enough. Low is still a bit too dim for me.

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post

Officially according to LG for the C7 Low just means Active HDR is enabled.

Medium and High would then add Dynamic Contrast on top of that and therefore I would avoid it.
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 167 123452151101 ... LastLast