Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 47779394959697
Results 961 to 969 of 969

Thread: LG OLED TV Discussion

  1. #961
    Gaming Wizard
    Don't delete my posts (¬¸¬)
    Vast_aire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pta
    Posts
    13,547
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Anybody have any experience with these slightly slanted backwards design tvs? I remember Sony had something similar 10 or so years ago. Won't be problem if wall mounting though.

  2. #962
    Addicted Member Ninja_Theory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Jhb
    Posts
    3,717
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    This is great feedback to read. LG it will be for me. Once again, Metz, but it's the same TV. Sauce: https://www.amazon.in/Smart-Certifie.../dp/B07VYCNBNT

    Reviewed in India on 6 September 2019: Good hardware but horrible software

    Final update: Returned the TV because of panel flashing/chrominance overshoot issue. One problem too many. Can't risk so much money on good faith. Someone else will have to check whether they solved the problems with an update or not.

    The panel itself is good. It's bright. The TV is well-built. Sound is good with a fairly decent bass too. However, the software is worse than a 20k TV. Not fit for an OLED TV. The company has no clue as to what an OLED TV needs with regards to software. The TV is really inconvenient to use because of this. You can't access picture settings while streaming content from any app. It can only be done after playing some content via media player. There's no separate HDR picture mode, which every other OLED TV does. So each time you have to switch from HDR to SDR, you have to go and change setting for HDR, especially HDR10 which needs it at 100, but SDR is fine between 20-30 in dark or moderately lit rooms, 40-50 if bright. 100 is torch mode and will cause burn-in a lot quicker, and causes strain while doing it at night in a dark room. HDR content is mastered for dark rooms, but the UI blinds you and their design forces you to go through this pointless exercise. The company employees have no clue as to how an OLED TV should work. They have put software that belongs in a 10k TV in a premium one. There's no panel maintenance or pixel refresher option, which are essential to maintain OLED panels. Company hasn't responded yet to my query about them.

    Update: Revised from two to three stars, solely because of the strength of the hardware, as the panel truly delivers excellent visuals. Regarding the panel maintenance btw, company executives still haven't responded, but I found a Metz Android TV manual online published by the German team, which had a small section about OLED TVs at the end which mentions these features. Can't be toggled manually like others. At least it's there. Do I recommend it? Only if you can't spend more. C9, or even B9 (lower brightness though in B series), compared to this will offer you future-proof hardware with HDMI 2.1 and more side ports and VRR; lovely if you do play video games. Also, they know their panels and constantly work on them. LG's dynamic tone mapping is pretty good now. This set has adaptive luma control, which is apparently also there in a sharp TV that's 11 years old, but it's nowhere close to the DTM feature of LG or Panasonic too actually. Also, the Sharp TV also mentions DI film mode and flesh tone, just like this TV! So maybe Skyworth made that TV too or somehow acquired these terms for their software use. Anyway, they don't seem to have been updated. I can just hope that they have been optimized for OLED panel at least.

    Also, motion interpolation. OLED panels are infamous for 24fps stutter because of their sample and hold tech and fast refresh rate, which can be removed by custom motion interpolation settings. The regular ones add soap opera effect. This set lacks that custom option, so you either choose soap opera effect or stutter.

    Should you buy it? Only if you really can't push and buy LG ones. Had the company put a more user friendly software along with adding more customization options, especially to remove judder, I would have given 4 even 5 stars, considering the cost savings, as the manufacting is August 2019, which means it's a 2019 panel most probably. (Update: Confirmed this by taking macro shots of the sub-pixels. Red sub-pixel is bigger than 2018 models, which means even better burn-in protection as red sub-pixel is the most problematic one. Attached pics.) I was actually stoked when it first came, but as I started using it, the experience really soured.

    If you do buy it, experience the bad user experience for yourself, and then tell the company about it. They have an Android 9 update due. Maybe they can add a few critical things and solve a few bugs. If that's done, this TV will really shake up the market, making overpriced FALD sets with puny 50-60 zones redundant. Here's my wishlist:

    1) Two separate user configurable modes for HDR that toggle on their own when HDR content plays; one mode for dark room and one for bright.

    2) Custom motion interpolation settings to remove 24fps stutter. Vital!!

    3) Let the users access picture menu while playing content from apps. It's essential when you have a tricky show like GoT, which has horrible artifacting and macroblocking in the lastest season. Having picture setting while content is playing will help the user change the image to ensure enjoyment of content as it suits them and the content. I mean, even cheap TVs allow this. Really silly omission.

    4) There's a bug when fast boot mode is activated. The Metz logo light can be turned off, and remains off as long as you don't turn on fast boot mode. When you do, turning on the TV again after shutting it off the first time will turn on the logo light even if the system menu has it at off. It distracts from the image.

  3. #963
    Very Senior Member baasgene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    1,203
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Theory View Post
    This is great feedback to read. LG it will be for me. Once again, Metz, but it's the same TV. Sauce: https://www.amazon.in/Smart-Certifie.../dp/B07VYCNBNT

    Reviewed in India on 6 September 2019: Good hardware but horrible software

    Final update: Returned the TV because of panel flashing/chrominance overshoot issue. One problem too many. Can't risk so much money on good faith. Someone else will have to check whether they solved the problems with an update or not.

    The panel itself is good. It's bright. The TV is well-built. Sound is good with a fairly decent bass too. However, the software is worse than a 20k TV. Not fit for an OLED TV. The company has no clue as to what an OLED TV needs with regards to software. The TV is really inconvenient to use because of this. You can't access picture settings while streaming content from any app. It can only be done after playing some content via media player. There's no separate HDR picture mode, which every other OLED TV does. So each time you have to switch from HDR to SDR, you have to go and change setting for HDR, especially HDR10 which needs it at 100, but SDR is fine between 20-30 in dark or moderately lit rooms, 40-50 if bright. 100 is torch mode and will cause burn-in a lot quicker, and causes strain while doing it at night in a dark room. HDR content is mastered for dark rooms, but the UI blinds you and their design forces you to go through this pointless exercise. The company employees have no clue as to how an OLED TV should work. They have put software that belongs in a 10k TV in a premium one. There's no panel maintenance or pixel refresher option, which are essential to maintain OLED panels. Company hasn't responded yet to my query about them.

    Update: Revised from two to three stars, solely because of the strength of the hardware, as the panel truly delivers excellent visuals. Regarding the panel maintenance btw, company executives still haven't responded, but I found a Metz Android TV manual online published by the German team, which had a small section about OLED TVs at the end which mentions these features. Can't be toggled manually like others. At least it's there. Do I recommend it? Only if you can't spend more. C9, or even B9 (lower brightness though in B series), compared to this will offer you future-proof hardware with HDMI 2.1 and more side ports and VRR; lovely if you do play video games. Also, they know their panels and constantly work on them. LG's dynamic tone mapping is pretty good now. This set has adaptive luma control, which is apparently also there in a sharp TV that's 11 years old, but it's nowhere close to the DTM feature of LG or Panasonic too actually. Also, the Sharp TV also mentions DI film mode and flesh tone, just like this TV! So maybe Skyworth made that TV too or somehow acquired these terms for their software use. Anyway, they don't seem to have been updated. I can just hope that they have been optimized for OLED panel at least.

    Also, motion interpolation. OLED panels are infamous for 24fps stutter because of their sample and hold tech and fast refresh rate, which can be removed by custom motion interpolation settings. The regular ones add soap opera effect. This set lacks that custom option, so you either choose soap opera effect or stutter.

    Should you buy it? Only if you really can't push and buy LG ones. Had the company put a more user friendly software along with adding more customization options, especially to remove judder, I would have given 4 even 5 stars, considering the cost savings, as the manufacting is August 2019, which means it's a 2019 panel most probably. (Update: Confirmed this by taking macro shots of the sub-pixels. Red sub-pixel is bigger than 2018 models, which means even better burn-in protection as red sub-pixel is the most problematic one. Attached pics.) I was actually stoked when it first came, but as I started using it, the experience really soured.

    If you do buy it, experience the bad user experience for yourself, and then tell the company about it. They have an Android 9 update due. Maybe they can add a few critical things and solve a few bugs. If that's done, this TV will really shake up the market, making overpriced FALD sets with puny 50-60 zones redundant. Here's my wishlist:

    1) Two separate user configurable modes for HDR that toggle on their own when HDR content plays; one mode for dark room and one for bright.

    2) Custom motion interpolation settings to remove 24fps stutter. Vital!!

    3) Let the users access picture menu while playing content from apps. It's essential when you have a tricky show like GoT, which has horrible artifacting and macroblocking in the lastest season. Having picture setting while content is playing will help the user change the image to ensure enjoyment of content as it suits them and the content. I mean, even cheap TVs allow this. Really silly omission.

    4) There's a bug when fast boot mode is activated. The Metz logo light can be turned off, and remains off as long as you don't turn on fast boot mode. When you do, turning on the TV again after shutting it off the first time will turn on the logo light even if the system menu has it at off. It distracts from the image.
    I can assume the Skyworth would be very similar, so a no go imo.

  4. #964
    Addicted Member Ninja_Theory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Jhb
    Posts
    3,717
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baasgene View Post
    I can assume the Skyworth would be very similar, so a no go imo.
    The Metz is a Skyworth rebrand afaik. I would say no go given the above review, which I found quite informative.

  5. Saying Thanks:

    baasgene (Yesterday)  

  6. #965
    Addicted Member Ninja_Theory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Jhb
    Posts
    3,717
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    You guys see this, any thoughts? A friend shared it with me today.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...m_source=share

    The LG OLED CX does not work properly with the RTX 3080. It chroma ... - Reddit

  7. #966
    Very Senior Member
    Cheese Burger & Fries
    Grimm-Preacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Angra dos Vaqueiros
    Posts
    1,999
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    The LG OLED CX does look awesome but the burn in issue scares me...or am I being paranoid?

  8. #967
    Gaming Wizard StarBound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,368
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm-Preacher View Post
    The LG OLED CX does look awesome but the burn in issue scares me...or am I being paranoid?
    Yes and no. As previously discussed know the limitations of the technology then treat it right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Theory View Post
    You guys see this, any thoughts? A friend shared it with me today.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comm...m_source=share

    The LG OLED CX does not work properly with the RTX 3080. It chroma ... - Reddit
    LG already working on a firmware fix for this.
    LG OLED 55C9|DENON X4400H
    XboneX - PS4 Pro - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

  9. Saying Thanks:

    Ninja_Theory (Yesterday)  

  10. #968
    Very Senior Member nuyork's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    2,244
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimm-Preacher View Post
    The LG OLED CX does look awesome but the burn in issue scares me...or am I being paranoid?
    Paranoid. I've got a B7 bought in 2017 and still have not seen any burn in on my screen. Connected to a PC (OLED light 30 and screensaver 1 minute) and PS4 Pro. No burn-in on the screen. Still performing great. Wish I could get a CX though.

  11. #969
    Gaming Wizard StarBound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,368
    Experience

    Default

    LG OLED 55C9|DENON X4400H
    XboneX - PS4 Pro - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 47779394959697

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •