Thread: Cable extensions for Rift/Vive?

Experience

Question Cable extensions for Rift/Vive?

Hey guys

Have any of you Rift or Vive users extended your headset cables? And if you did, what cables did you use from where?

After reading up about it a bit it seems you cannot just use any extensions. Some HDMI cables cause the screen to go black. Some USB3.0 cables cause the sound to crackle.

Seems you generally need an active USB3.0 cable and an HDMI repeater plus decent HDMI cable. All in this is R800+ from Amazon.

Contacted hdcabling.co.za and they don't have a solution for me.

I'm trying to add about 3 meters, but if 2m works more reliably I'll sacrifice 1 meter.

I'm hoping somebody locally was able to source the required stuff and have a working solution.

Experience

You cannot extend them as far as I know. You need a PC near you if you go wired and the other option is the wireless adapter.
    LG OLED 55E6V|Samsung K950
    XboneX - PS4 Pro - Switch - SUPER AWESOME PC
    Hidden Content

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post
    You cannot extend them as far as I know. You need a PC near you if you go wired and the other option is the wireless adapter.
    Saw a whole bunch of guys on youtube doing it. Ended up ordering from Amazon.
    5m and you should still be fine, but I'm aiming for 3m. Works on both Rift and Vive. Will let you know if it works

PS: Sourcing this stuff locally sucks.

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by StarBound View Post
    So I ordered some cables from Amazon and it works perfectly. So happy

These are the items I ordered:

Monoprice Commercial Series Premium 10ft 24AWG CL2 High Speed HDMI Cable Male to Female Extension - Black
    https://amzn.to/2Jy65n2

Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Type A Male to Female Extension Cable in Black 10 Feet
    https://amzn.to/2l2ru90

Postta HDMI Adapter(2 Pack)270 Degree and 90 Degree Male to Female HDMI Right Angle Connector Gold Plated
    https://amzn.to/2sRKziD

I got the HDMI adapters to take strain off the cable and my GPU's port since it is heavy and thick.

No more cable issues at all!

5. Saying Thanks:

Neptune (June 21st, 2018)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Nice man I was literally watching videos last night on this topic, those cable brands were the most recommended. I want to get the vive but theres no space in the bedroom so I thought I could use extensions and play in the hallway. Just have to set everything up each time
    What just happened?...