Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What does PS need to win E3?

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    If the game's still got a way to go, why not make it cross-gen? The more software at launch, the better. The engine's just the framework from within which the game is built, the hardware the game is built for is ultimately what dictates what can and can't be done within that toolset. Of course it will be the same game with the same feature set on both platforms, but you'll be able to push the boat out on framerate, textures, effects, resolution and all that other good stuff for the PS5 version.
    All games will be cross-gen so that's a reasonable assumption or rather expectation.

If they aren't cross-gen then Sony will have shot themselves in the foot wholeheartedly.

But there is no reason at all to delay it for the next generation.

Games aren't really built for the hardware any more as they don't use bespoke processors with different architectures and SDK's any more. It's all pretty much built for one thing (which is the top of the line) and then scaled and optimized to fit. The hardware no longer dictates what can and can't be done, the engine does.

Maybe a little different in the case of Sony where this is their engine and their toolset, but shouldn't really be by much.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    All games will be cross-gen so that's a reasonable assumption or rather expectation.
    The PS5 can be made to run all PS4 games, but that's different from designing a game to take advantage of the PS5's additional capabilities as well as run on the PS4.

If they aren't cross-gen then Sony will have shot themselves in the foot wholeheartedly.

But there is no reason at all to delay it for the next generation.
    What I mean by cross-gen is that they launch with both a PS5 and PS4 version to bolster the PS5 roster of titles.

Games aren't really built for the hardware any more as they don't use bespoke processors with different architectures and SDK's any more. It's all pretty much built for one thing (which is the top of the line) and then scaled and optimized to fit. The hardware no longer dictates what can and can't be done, the engine does.
    I don't agree with this. The engine dictates what can be done in that they automatise much of the optimisation for the various platforms. The game itself however needs to target platforms to begin with in order to be achievable across them.

A game built with an existing engine but designed to take full advantage of a next gen console might simply not run in a suitably playable form on older hardware - just look at the Switch, plenty of current gen titles publishers would love to have on there but it's not feasible, and the difference between that and current gen consoles isn't as great as the upcoming Ryzen based systems will be.
    Last edited by KenMasters; June 12th, 2018 at 02:51 PM.

3. Saying Thanks:

mantis za (June 12th, 2018)  

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    I don't agree with this. The engine dictates what can be done in that they automatise much of the optimisation for the various platforms. The game itself however needs to target platforms to begin with in order to be achievable across them.
    Then they'll need to start over with Death Stranding right now as the engine was built for the PS4 and they are already way too deep into it.

I believe the primary reason they went for the HZD-engine is the fact that it was already built for the PS4 Pro from the word go which ultimately was the same problem as we are discussing now for the PS5 issue.

There are a lot of extension that were built into that engine with the new higher resolution and higher power console with more instruction sets on the horizon (lol) while retaining the ability to simply scale it back for the PS4.

A game built with an existing engine but designed to take full advantage of a next gen console might simply not run in a suitably playable form on older hardware - just look at the Switch, plenty of current gen titles publishers would love to have on there but it's not feasible, and the difference between that and current gen consoles isn't as great as the upcoming Ryzen based systems will be.
    The engine really ultimately dictates if it can use features from newer hardware. If the engine isn't built for that hardware it's meaningless. However it's pretty simple to disable things to make it compatible with older hardware.

The Switch suffers exactly the problem that we had in the previous generation with a completely different architecture and that's why it's not feasible. If developers used the wrong tools that were completely X86-biased then they are in for a lot of work to make the Switch.

The PS5 won't have any of those issues so long as it remains X86 based. Any SDK tech would need to be built for specific functions in that hardware but to scale it down to also work on existing hardware won't be near as much of an issue.

To put it in car terms just cause I can still use the word engine you can't make a 2.0 4-cylinder car do 240km/h at 3000 revs if it taps out at 120km/h. But you can quite easily take a 5.0 V8 and run it more slowly let it cruise at 120km/h.

However making a bike (Switch) do the same things as either of the cars (X86) takes a very different approach and requires a lot more effort.

Granted there may have been some future forward thinking from Sony/Guerrilla when building Decima to accommodate future PS5 feature sets but I very highly doubt that if they are only now starting to look at it and also publicly stated there is at least another 3 years in the PS4 generation.

They certainly make no mention of it with AI, Physics and 4K+HDR being the main driving force for the engine.
    Last edited by SauRoN; June 12th, 2018 at 03:14 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Game IDs
    Experience

Then they'll need to start over with Death Stranding right now as the engine was built for the PS4 and they are already way too deep into it...
    Don't forget the Decima engine was also used to develop Killzone Shadow Fall - game engines evolve. Death Stranding is the perfect test bed for cross-gen development.

As for scaling down, as I said, I don't agree. Games scale as they do because they target the current median hardware. At a certain point you will have games who's gameplay is reliant on A.I routines and physics simulation interaction on a level the older hardware just could not manage, no matter how much you cut back on fidelity.

As for the three years thing, Sony's always supported their older consoles into the lifespan of their new ones.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Watch Death Stranding become a ps5 launch title
    According to Kojima : the game would be released prior to the year the film Akira was set, so 2019. Crossing fingers.

7. Saying Thanks:

Viking (June 12th, 2018)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Overall I was not impressed with the Sony showcase. I thought they would be doing proper deep dives into each game and show detailed gameplay for each.

Last years Sony showcase was much better and I feel Microsoft had a better presentation than Sony at this years E3.
    Last edited by nuyork; June 12th, 2018 at 08:50 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345