Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: HDMI 2.0 A/V receiver - does a or b really matter?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4
    Experience

    Question HDMI 2.0 A/V receiver - does a or b really matter?

    I'm a little confused when it comes to A/V receivers and I'm hoping an enlightened person here might be of help.

    Given I have an HDMI 2.0b device (e.g. Xbox One X) and an HDMI 2.0b TV (e.g. LG OLED65B7), then if I want to add an A/V receiver in between the device and TV, does the A/V receiver need to be HDMI 2.0b or can it be HDMI 2.0a? All devices support HDCP 2.2.

    From what I understand the difference between 2.0a and 2.0b has mainly to do with HDR and HLG support and I'm not sure if Dolby Vision would be affected.

    Would the HDMI 2.0a A/V receiver decode and output the parts it understands and simply pass-through the remaining HDMI data?

  2. #2
    Gaming Wizard KenMasters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    KÝbenhavn
    Posts
    7,779
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CraigN View Post
    Given I have an HDMI 2.0b device (e.g. Xbox One X) and an HDMI 2.0b TV (e.g. LG OLED65B7), then if I want to add an A/V receiver in between the device and TV, does the A/V receiver need to be HDMI 2.0b or can it be HDMI 2.0a? All devices support HDCP 2.2.
    It can be HDMI 2.0a - which supports HDR10.

    Quote Originally Posted by CraigN View Post
    From what I understand the difference between 2.0a and 2.0b has mainly to do with HDR and HLG support and I'm not sure if Dolby Vision would be affected.
    HDMI 2.0a supports HDR10, HDMI 2.0b added HLG support, which is a hybrid SDR/HDR format meant for broadcast content. Dolby Vision is its own thing, separate from HDMI specifications, and needs to be supported by your devices separately.

    Quote Originally Posted by CraigN View Post
    Would the HDMI 2.0a A/V receiver decode and output the parts it understands and simply pass-through the remaining HDMI data?
    No, it doesn't pass on what it doesn't support.
    Last edited by KenMasters; June 12th, 2018 at 05:58 PM.

  3. Saying Thanks:

    CraigN (June 13th, 2018)  

  4. #3
    Senior Member baasgene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    825
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    An HDMI 2.0a receiver is perfect for gamers, HLG is not something that will be used in gaming. The problem is next year when the HDMI 2.1 devices starts trickling in.

    Although I would still stick with my Denon until at least 2021, not like HDMI 2.1 features especially 4k120 or 8k60 would be utilized before then. Heck I've got a 1080 ti and my pc struggles to keep 60 on some titles not to mention double that.

  5. Saying Thanks:

    CraigN (June 13th, 2018)  

  6. #4
    Gaming Wizard KenMasters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    KÝbenhavn
    Posts
    7,779
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by baasgene View Post
    An HDMI 2.0a receiver is perfect for gamers, HLG is not something that will be used in gaming.
    No, but if you're into sports and such you might appreciate it for things like the upcoming World Cup (assuming you have access to that content).

  7. Saying Thanks:

    CraigN (June 25th, 2018)  

  8. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4
    Experience

    Default

    Thanks for responses. Just to clarify then, will all connections then revert to HDMI 2.0a?

  9. #6
    Gaming Wizard KenMasters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    KÝbenhavn
    Posts
    7,779
    Game IDs
    Experience

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CraigN View Post
    Thanks for responses. Just to clarify then, will all connections then revert to HDMI 2.0a?
    They won't revert to HDMI 2.0a, the 2.0a connection will just ignore signal types it doesn't understand.

  10. Saying Thanks:

    CraigN (June 25th, 2018)  

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •