Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: PS5 Rumours.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by MarioAna View Post
    As for another mid-gen refresh I don't think that is a certainty. Sony will react if they have to but I'm 100% sure the Pro would not exist if MS hadn't been talking about Scorpio.
    But the Scorpio only came to light some time after the Pro leaks? I think the mid-gen refresh is a good idea, in the past it was common for gamers to begin feeling apathetic mid generation once the capabilities of the "new" consoles became a known quantity. The mid gen refresh keeps the system feeling, um, fresh.

Colossus
    Interesting times.
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    But the Scorpio only came to light some time after the Pro leaks? I think the mid-gen refresh is a good idea, in the past it was common for gamers to begin feeling apathetic mid generation once the capabilities of the "new" consoles became a known quantity. The mid gen refresh keeps the system feeling, um, fresh.
    I remember Scorpio being talked about way before Pro? Sony just got there first because their revision was much smaller and simpler.

I was against the idea but after getting a Pro I'm okay with it. Not because the Pro is super awesome or anything but because of the opposite; a mild revision that doesn't fracture the user base and offers the harder core players a fresh item as you have put it.

Plus by selling my PS4 and buying the Pro the cost of the upgrade was minimal.

3. Saying Thanks:

KenMasters (Yesterday)  

Game IDs
    Experience

I remember Scorpio being talked about way before Pro? Sony just got there first because their revision was much smaller and simpler.
    The Pro was first rumoured in March of 2016 (first as PS4.5, then "Neo" once the full specs leaked), MS announced the Scorpio at E3 later that year, likely earlier than they had planned to. Same way talk of the PS5 had them mention their next gen console at E3 I suspect.
    Last edited by KenMasters; Yesterday at 08:24 AM.

Colossus
    Interesting times.
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    The Pro was first rumoured in March of 2016 (first as PS4.5, then "Neo" once the full specs leaked), MS announced the Scorpio at E3 later that year, likely earlier than they had planned to. Same way talk of the PS5 had them mention their next gen console at E3 I suspect.
    MS announced it at E3 but rumours were flying way before the announcement. Anyway I'm sure both Sony and MS have inside knowledge of each other's businesses so I'm not sure we'll ever really know but Sony have never gone this route before and were comfortably leading the sales battle. I suspect they would have been happy not making the Pro.

In terms of PS5/Scarlet mid gen refreshes I'm not convinced there's anywhere to go really. 8k is not going to be a thing by 2023 is it? 4k is now finally here and affordable but for the average person is the content even there yet? How big would the TV have to be for it to even be noticeable? How ridiculously big would the data consumption be? Loading times already suck balls.

Also I doubt by then it would even be feasible to make a console handle that at a decent price. What about other upgrades? Real time Ray Tracing still can't be done affordably. VR from the console delivery should be fine even on a base PS5, It's the headsets that need the upgrades.

I'd love to see much faster drives in these machines. I have an SSD in mine and although it's not cutting loading times in half it is faster and that's something I appreciate. I'd love to see Sony putting games on flash storage instead of disks but they don't want to kill that market. Maybe a combination and consumers can choose the version along with digital?

Game IDs
    Experience

MS announced it at E3 but rumours were flying way before the announcement.
    Not to my knowledge.

Anyway I'm sure both Sony and MS have inside knowledge of each other's businesses so I'm not sure we'll ever really know but Sony have never gone this route before and were comfortably leading the sales battle. I suspect they would have been happy not making the Pro.
    Sony noted that in past generations, midpoint in a cycle, a significant portion of the user base would abandon PS for PC - the strategy sought to keep people on the platform. MS took the approach much further, but they kind of had to.

In terms of PS5/Scarlet mid gen refreshes I'm not convinced there's anywhere to go really. 8k is not going to be a thing by 2023 is it?
    It will be, at the end of this year there will be 8K TVs on the market. It's a waste of system resources to target that resolution though, I'm sure I'm not alone in that opinion.

4k is now finally here and affordable but for the average person is the content even there yet? How big would the TV have to be for it to even be noticeable? How ridiculously big would the data consumption be? Loading times already suck balls. Also I doubt by then it would even be feasible to make a console handle that at a decent price.
    I personally hate people calling today's TVs 4K. Ultra HD offers both 4K and 8K resolutions, the point of which is to remove resolution from consideration. Most content for these displays is not native, nor should it have to be, we just don't want the pixel structure visible when the panel occupies our full view.

Though admittedly video games do fall a bit foul of this ideal since other content is sampled down from higher resolutions and so aliasing is not a problem - that doesn't mean games have to hit a native 4K or 8K though, just the right combination of resolution and post processing.

The big advance are the aspects outside of resolution, and those are in their infancy from an technological implementation standpoint. TVs still have quite a way to go to meet the Ultra HD spec, but thankfully that's where games are ahead of the curve, unlike film and TV, they can already take advantage of the full gamut and dynamic range that Ultra HDTVs will eventually offer.

I'd love to see much faster drives in these machines. I have an SSD in mine and although it's not cutting loading times in half it is faster and that's something I appreciate. I'd love to see Sony putting games on flash storage instead of disks but they don't want to kill that market. Maybe a combination and consumers can choose the version along with digital?
    I would not be a fan of, essentially, returning to cartridge - and would that also not be too limited in terms of storage? I mean, I'm all digital anyway, but I'd imagine the next gen consoles would require Ultra HD disc capacity. Maybe they'll offer an SKU equipped with an SSD, but I'd rather buy one with a mechanical drive and just install my own.
    Last edited by KenMasters; Yesterday at 09:39 AM.

7. Saying Thanks:

MarioAna (Yesterday)  

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345