Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best car rental company ?

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    Have a look at Thrifty if you want more affordable.

But also consider just using Uber depending on how much you want/need to get around.
    Quote Originally Posted by velo69 View Post
    Recently I have been hiring cars quite frequently when traveling to Durbs. At first I used to compare the companies.
    Now I only hire from Dollar Thrifty. They provide good service and prices are not bad at all. What you should do is always take the "supercover" option so your deposit is reduced.
    I was also thinking about Thrifty, but i read a number of complaints on Hello Peter and got nervous. But you guys have used Thrifty and had good experiences ?

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Yup many times and never had issues.

It’s the kind of business you’ll always get negative reviews from I wouldn’t use that as a gauge.

Just stick to someone you’ve heard of and you’ll be fine.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Experience

Of the Five times I have used thrifty in the last two years. I had only an issue once where I felt the Wheel alignment on the car was not good and they told me they will send another car to me and pick up the car I had an issue with...But besides that small issue I had with that specific vehicle , I thought they handled the situation well. As long as you take the supercover option there should not be any negative surprises when you return the car.

They usually refund the deposit within 5 days. I fill up the fuel tank before I return it. There is a sasol garage at the airport.

Addicted Member
    soon...
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
    Heading to Durbs in August for just under a week and shopping around for a small rental car. Just need a Toyota Quest or the like, nothing fancy. Who would you guys recommend I go with? So many options!
    I rented through Kulula, which if you going via plane, its way cheap. And if you are with Discovery, you get discounts based on your vitality level.

All in all for 16 days i paid like 2500 bucks. But there are so many options to choose from.

Some where deposit is higher ect.

Gaming Wizard
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMoer View Post
    Bidvest is great, service is the best of all of them. Stay FAR away from First Car Rental
    I guess it's quite subjective, but I've never had any issue with FCR and I've used them quite regularly.

As a matter of interest, what kind of service do these companies offer that could differentiate them, or allow them to charge more than a competitor? I book a car, I pick it up, I use it, I fill the tank up and I send it back. Is the service in the booking side? Or from an issue handling side (of which I've not had an incident, so perhaps its here?)?

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by GB9 View Post
    I guess it's quite subjective, but I've never had any issue with FCR and I've used them quite regularly.

As a matter of interest, what kind of service do these companies offer that could differentiate them, or allow them to charge more than a competitor? I book a car, I pick it up, I use it, I fill the tank up and I send it back. Is the service in the booking side? Or from an issue handling side (of which I've not had an incident, so perhaps its here?)?
    For me I look at worst case scenario and check that if anything has to happen eg. an accident , what is the most I will be liable for. And that is where the companies differ. If you take the supercover option at Thrifty , the most you will lose is your deposit of R2000. I found that to be lower than the more popular companies like Europcar, Avis etc...

7. Saying Thanks:

Dex (June 26th, 2018)  

Gaming Wizard
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by velo69 View Post
    For me I look at worst case scenario and check that if anything has to happen eg. an accident , what is the most I will be liable for. And that is where the companies differ. If you take the supercover option at Thrifty , the most you will lose is your deposit of R2000. I found that to be lower than the more popular companies like Europcar, Avis etc...
    Ah, so that's not necessarily service, but rather their product offering. I hardly rent on a personal basis, so that is probably why I've not mulled over the different offerings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12