Thread: NordVPN + Router setup

Gaming Wizard
    786| M.U.F.C
    Game IDs
    Experience

Default NordVPN + Router setup

Hi there guys, hoping someone here can help me set up the VPN through the router.

In order to setup VPN client connection on your router, it has to support at least one of these connection types: PPTP, L2TP or OpenVPN. Furthermore, it has to support it as a "Client" (as opposed to a "Server") to allow you to connect it to NordVPN servers.
    This is from Nord's help page, and I do have PPTP and L2TP connection types readily available on my router.

My security settings also allow for these types pass-throughs to be enabled.

I only have my PPPoE settings available from my ISP.

Thanks in advance.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Not sure if you mistyped or something.

Are you saying your Router does or doesn't have these functions? If it doesn't...well you need another one then.

Passthrough is irrelevant as it applies to having a client on your network running the VPN and just means it will allow the traffic through.

Nord has loads of guides on their page to tell you exactly what to do if your router is supported. If they don't then check one of the other providers like Express VPN.

https://support.nordvpn.com/#/Connec...th-NordVPN.htm

Different router brands at the bottom.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

3. Saying Thanks:

unstoppableErasor (July 15th, 2018)  

Gaming Wizard
    786| M.U.F.C
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    Not sure if you mistyped or something.

Are you saying your Router does or doesn't have these functions? If it doesn't...well you need another one then.

Passthrough is irrelevant as it applies to having a client on your network running the VPN and just means it will allow the traffic through.

Nord has loads of guides on their page to tell you exactly what to do if your router is supported. If they don't then check one of the other providers like Express VPN.

https://support.nordvpn.com/#/Connec...th-NordVPN.htm

Different router brands at the bottom.
    My router allows for PPTP and L2TP.

Though I have no idea how to set it up.

The only details I have from my ISP are the PPPoE details which is the PPP username and PPP password.

I want to also be able to connect my smart tv and possibly my consoles to the VPN and this is the only way to do it.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ElectroMoe View Post

The only details I have from my ISP are the PPPoE details which is the PPP username and PPP password.

I want to also be able to connect my smart tv and possibly my consoles to the VPN and this is the only way to do it.
    No PPTP and L2TP under the ISP setting are not the same thing.

It needs to have a separate VPN Client “behind” the VPN interface.

Check their guide for your brand of router. If the setting isn’t there as per their guide then it isn’t there.
    Hidden Content

6. Saying Thanks:

ElectroMoe (July 14th, 2018)  

Very Senior Member
    The Silent Killers: Mimes, Cholesterol and NiN...
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ElectroMoe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    No PPTP and L2TP under the ISP setting are not the same thing.

It needs to have a separate VPN Client “behind” the VPN interface.

Check their guide for your brand of router. If the setting isn’t there as per their guide then it isn’t there.
    I have recently done this with NordVPN, but note that you need to have quite a powerful router to do this, as all the VPN encryption is done by the router itself. As @SauRoN suggests, check the Nord requirements page.

Not many routers have a built in VPN client functionality. Most router advertise "VPN capable" or something of the sort on the box, but that only means being able to create a home VPN so you can access your network from the outside. It does not allow you to create a VPN client so that you can encrypt all data on the router before it gets passed to your ISP and the internet.

Also note that if you create the client on the router, it means that all devices connected will pass through the VPN. That will greatly increase your latency and make any type of online gaming impossible, so i wouldn't suggest you connect your gaming consoles. If you want to game and online, and then later watch Netflix / Hulu or Amazon, then it means you will constantly have to connect / disconnect the VPN client. Doing on this on the router is a pain.

So if you really want to do this, either have two routers, one for normal traffic and another daisy-chained to the router connected to the ISP so you can have a normal network and a VPN network;

OR

Get a flashrouter with DD-WRT installed on it, where you can create a guest network and run the VPN only on the guest network. It's a bit difficult to do, but there are many online guides and tutorials that can help you set it up.

Check out www.flashrouters.com, the routers listed there are powerful enough to do the above, and they provide a lot of infoo and tutorials. I know some of the newer Asus routers can do this out of the box, where you can run a VPN client on one of the guest networks only.
    A Sable Darkness, A Secret Deepness, A Solid Drumbeat...

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

PPTP and L2TP aren't too uncommon to find on routers.

However the full blown OpenVPN client is a rarity on just about any original firmware setup, at least in the consumer space.
    Hidden Content

Gaming Wizard
    786| M.U.F.C
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Vic54 View Post
    I have recently done this with NordVPN, but note that you need to have quite a powerful router to do this, as all the VPN encryption is done by the router itself. As @SauRoN suggests, check the Nord requirements page.

Not many routers have a built in VPN client functionality. Most router advertise "VPN capable" or something of the sort on the box, but that only means being able to create a home VPN so you can access your network from the outside. It does not allow you to create a VPN client so that you can encrypt all data on the router before it gets passed to your ISP and the internet.

Also note that if you create the client on the router, it means that all devices connected will pass through the VPN. That will greatly increase your latency and make any type of online gaming impossible, so i wouldn't suggest you connect your gaming consoles. If you want to game and online, and then later watch Netflix / Hulu or Amazon, then it means you will constantly have to connect / disconnect the VPN client. Doing on this on the router is a pain.

So if you really want to do this, either have two routers, one for normal traffic and another daisy-chained to the router connected to the ISP so you can have a normal network and a VPN network;

OR

Get a flashrouter with DD-WRT installed on it, where you can create a guest network and run the VPN only on the guest network. It's a bit difficult to do, but there are many online guides and tutorials that can help you set it up.

Check out www.flashrouters.com, the routers listed there are powerful enough to do the above, and they provide a lot of infoo and tutorials. I know some of the newer Asus routers can do this out of the box, where you can run a VPN client on one of the guest networks only.
    Hey Vic, thanks for that reply.

Spoke to some agents from Nord's side and they suggest checking if I can flash my router.

I do have two routers, one mikrotik and one TP link, I was thinking of flashing my mikrotik rb952ui-5ac2nd openvpn if it's possible.

Not too clued up yet as I haven't really plugged in the router since I last chatted to the agent but was going to maybe get a mate to try help me out at a later stage.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Not much you can do with a Mikrotik and it's way more powerful than any flashed setup anyway but doesn't play nice with OpenVPN.

Most TP-Links can do DD-WRT quite happily so depends on model.
    Hidden Content

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by unstoppableErasor View Post
    I saw on of those cellphone towers on wheels in Cape Town today.
    Cnr of Christiaan St & Philip Kgosana Drive

Not sure if its still there

Had what seemed to be a mini cellphone tower and a long distance antenna on it. Parked Closely to a pole, one might have been fooled in thinking the antennas are on the pole and not the van
    What on earth are you talking about? And what does it have to do with this thread?
    Hidden Content