Thread: What constitutes a "perfect" album?

Game IDs
    Experience

Default What constitutes a "perfect" album?

Putting a number to a review is a contentious issue, especially if you're going to give something a perfect score - I like the way this video explores the notion:

2. Saying Thanks:

cowbrains (July 16th, 2018),  i.r.polly (July 16th, 2018),  SLYGUY (July 15th, 2018),  Uberutang (July 15th, 2018)  

Gaming Wizard
    Lets count to a Million
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    Putting a number to a review is a contentious issue, especially if you're going to give something a perfect score - I like the way this video explores the notion:

this was good watch thanks sharing Mr Ken

-_-
    Game IDs
    Experience

Thank you for the share!!! Quite informative!
    Gimme beer, gimme fibre, gimme games that I desire!
    Hidden Content

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post

It's a good analysis on the process of a rating an album and while I agree with the criteria that was used to give perfect scores, I don't get the reluctance to give perfect scores or near perfect scores to contemporary albums that you simply just enjoy. Fantano called Firepower by Judas Priest as the one of the best heavy metal albums of the decade, yet gave it an 8/10.

I don't know if that cheapens the rating process, but not everything has to be innovative or have a deep message. Sometimes a perfect album is a track list you enjoy from front to back.
    ”This is a tough hurricane, one of the wettest we have ever seen from the standpoint of water.” - Donald Trump

6. Saying Thanks:

abev (July 16th, 2018),  i.r.polly (July 16th, 2018)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by cowbrains View Post
    It's a good analysis on the process of a rating an album and while I agree with the criteria that was used to give perfect scores, I don't get the reluctance to give perfect scores or near perfect scores to contemporary albums that you simply just enjoy. Fantano called Firepower by Judas Priest as the one of the best heavy metal albums of the decade, yet gave it an 8/10.

I don't know if that cheapens the rating process, but not everything has to be innovative or have a deep message. Sometimes a perfect album is a track list you enjoy from front to back.
    We can all judge for ourselves what constitutes a perfect album. I will say though that I do have a number of albums I enjoy front to back, but I enjoy them because they're like comfort food. There's nothing in there that really grabs, challenges or interests me on a level that leaves me thinking but it puts me in a good mood every time I listen to it.

To me that is an 8 out of 10, higher than that and you need to bring something truly unique to the table in my eyes. By this criteria I would not grant "Kids See Ghosts" a 10, but The Money Store I co-sign for sure, and To Pimp a Butterfly is astounding thematically - Death Certificate, Fantastic Damage, The Cold Vein and Madvillainy are albums I would also grant 10s to.
    Last edited by KenMasters; July 16th, 2018 at 01:40 PM.

8. Saying Thanks:

cowbrains (July 16th, 2018)  

-_-
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by cowbrains View Post

I agree! In my opinion a 10/10 album is one where you can let it play on repeat for weeks on end without wanting to, or skipping a track.

PS: I'm busy listening to Swans: To be kind, and I must say it is a bit much for me. I get the moving you emotionally part, but Irritated is not one of my favorite emotions.
    Gimme beer, gimme fibre, gimme games that I desire!
    Hidden Content