Thread: HDTVTest 2018 TV Shootout winners announced

Experience

Default HDTVTest 2018 TV Shootout winners announced

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...ners+announced

HDTVTest 2018 TV shootout
    This is the first major TV shootout of 2018 as the other one – the annual US shootout – has been delayed in order to include upcoming TV models. UK-based HDTVTest held the 2018 TV shootout on Sunday, July 15, in London, UK.

The four TVs were calibrated by HDTVTest’s Vincent Teoh with assistance from Portrait Displays’ Tyler Pruitt and Marcel Gonska, and HDTVPolska’s Maciej Koper. The TVs were all running the latest firmware. Two Sony OLED studio displays (BVM-X300) were used as reference monitors. The TVs were easily identifiable by logo and design. It was not meant to be a blind test.

- “The TVs were arranged in alphabetical order according to UK model number, so it's KD-65AF8, OLED65C8, QE65QFN, then TX-65FZ802B from left to right,” said Vincent Teoh from UK technical review site HDTVTest. “Two Sony BVM-X300 broadcast monitors were present for reference purposes: one between the Sony AF8 and the LG C8; the other between the Samsung Q9FN and Panasonic FZ802, so each display can be assessed directly beside a reference monitor.”

The 4 TVs included in the 2018 TV Shootout:
    65” LG C8 OLED – $3000 / £3000
    65” Panasonic FZ802 (FZ800) OLED – £3500
    65” Samsung Q9FN LCD – $2900 / £3300
    65” Sony AF8 (A8F) OLED – $3000 / £3100

HDTVTest 2018 TV Shootout Award winners
    Winner Runner-up
    Best Home Theatre TV: Panasonic FZ802 (14.93 points) Sony AF8 (13.27 points)
    Best Living Room TV: Sony AF8 (15.82 points) Panasonic FZ802 (15.69 points)
    Best Gaming TV: Samsung Q9FN (4.23 points) LG C8 (4.10 points)
    Best HDR TV: LG C8 (4.15 points) Panasonic FZ802 (4.13 points)
    Best TV of 2018: Panasonic FZ802 (32.59 points) LG C8 (31.49 points)

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Seems even in the TV review game now we are in for participation rewards where everyone is special and therefore nobody is.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    Seems even in the TV review game now we are in for participation rewards where everyone is special and therefore nobody is.
    How so? The TVs were rated across several categories by the attendees. We're filled in on who came first in what categories along with the runner up, and told who the ultimate winner and runner up is with scores tallied.

Though I do think it's cheeky of Rasmus to post the results before HDTVTest. He did the same thing last year and took it down with an apology - though clearly sorry, not sorry.
    Last edited by KenMasters; July 16th, 2018 at 05:13 PM.

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by KenMasters View Post
    How so? The TVs were rated across several categories by the attendees, we're filled in on who came first in what categories along with the runner up, and told who the ultimate winner and runner up is with scores tallied.

Though I do think it's cheeky of Rasmus to post the results before HDTVTest. He did the same thing last year and took it down with an apology - though clearly sorry, not sorry.
    Purely because it seems each TV got slotted in as a winner of at least one category, ergo participation awards.

There isn't a clear and obvious loser.

I guess it's the price you pay for an industry that relies on manufacturer support to some degree. At least in the TV game it's possible to procure units elsewhere if need be, sadly can't say the same for cars/bikes which cost way too much to procure privately.

I see there are points involved so presume there was a voting system in place at least so maybe I'm just a bit jaded.
    Last edited by SauRoN; July 16th, 2018 at 05:10 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Game IDs
    Experience

Purely because it seems each TV got slotted in as a winner of at least one category, ergo participation awards.

There isn't a clear and obvious loser.
    The OLEDs all use the same panel, so it's the processing that separates them. Sony's always had the best motion processing, Panasonic's always been tops for calibration, LG's well rounded and the Samsung has a number of advantages for gaming over the OLEDs. All makes good sense.

EDIT: One thing to note, Panasonic's accuracy advantage only remains valid until Spectracal releases the fix for their LG 3D LUT auto-cal.

I see there are points involved so presume there was a voting system in place at least so maybe I'm just a bit jaded.
    Yes, the TVs were calibrated by Vincent and Tyler Pruitt of Spectracal, they were then scored across the categories by the event attendees, these are the results we see with the best overall TV (and runner up) being the tallied result.
    Last edited by KenMasters; July 16th, 2018 at 05:21 PM.