Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving from Mac to PC

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Jer1cho View Post

Also use right click. It's used a lot more on PC for creating folders or docs among other things.
    WTF dude.

OSX/MacOS has had as many if not more right-click functions since it basically existed.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Strifehart View Post
    Windows 10 is by far the best Windows platform.

Personally I prefer it to OSX (I hate coding on OSX, even though I'm forced to at times. Gaming is also far worse on like for like hardware), but if you want a want a similar alternative with familiar terminal you can also go the Ubuntu route.

Also nothing stops you from starting with Windows and then moving to a Linux variant if you want a "familiar" environment.

What will you be using the machine for primarily though?
    Sweet Jesus when Strifehart starts punting Linux I seriously worry if the world is ending.

As a daily Linux user I still wouldn’t recommend it to anyone as a desktop alternative unless you are truly a die hard super nerd geek user.

If you fall anywhere in the consumer or even somewhat power user basket and specifically depending on your purposes stick to Windows or Mac.

Also I dissuade people from the concept of building a work PC that can also game, especially when it comes to compromising on OS, but that’s just me.
    Hidden Content

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    WTF dude.

OSX/MacOS has had as many if not more right-click functions since it basically existed.
    Yeah sorry I didn't mean more than on a MAC, just meant that's what it's used for on Windows. I still come from the days of ctrl clicking on a MAC. Got so used to it! Just worded it a bit toss on my phone. Also so used to num pad enter renaming files. I hate that Windows doesn't do that. The major things really are Windows feels more cluttered, and less easy to navigate explorer as opposed to finder. cmd key is gone and I tend to use my mouse more on a PC wheras on MAC I use shortcuts and terminal for everything. OMG and color coding folders. When using a machine for work this was an absolute necessity for me in keeping organized.

4. Saying Thanks:

SauRoN (September 27th, 2018)  

Gaming Wizard
    Framerate Enthusiast & Graphics Slut.
    Game IDs
    Experience

Sweet Jesus when Strifehart starts punting Linux I seriously worry if the world is ending.

Ja, we need to use the best tool for our individual jobs at the end of the day.

I'm using Linux more at home than at work at the moment simply because I want to upskill in the environment from a dev perspective more.

At work, we're pretty much Windows / OSX only. There's a couple of Linux servers, but they're generally so bulletproof that no-one ever needs to touch them.

6. Saying Thanks:

SauRoN (September 27th, 2018)  

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Yeah sorry I didn't mean more than on a MAC, just meant that's what it's used for on Windows. I still come from the days of ctrl clicking on a MAC. Got so used to it! Just worded it a bit toss on my phone. Also so used to num pad enter renaming files. I hate that Windows doesn't do that. The major things really are Windows feels more cluttered, and less easy to navigate explorer as opposed to finder. cmd key is gone and I tend to use my mouse more on a PC wheras on MAC I use shortcuts and terminal for everything. OMG and color coding folders. When using a machine for work this was an absolute necessity for me in keeping organized.
    I’m always so amused when people tell me OSX is such a “mouse driven” OS.

And I laugh harder when they come with the old one click story.

No buddy, you just have no idea how to use it.
    Hidden Content

Experience

I’m always so amused when people tell me OSX is such a “mouse driven” OS.

And I laugh harder when they come with the old one click story.

No buddy, you just have no idea how to use it.
    Yeah on OSX I use shortcuts for everything, but it's something you get used to over time. I started on a G3, then went to a G4, and then the Cheese-grater machines, with stints on the dustbin and mac mini. Started on OS Tiger all the way up to Yosemite, and that's the last I have used. Those old nipple mice were terrible lol.

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Yeah on OSX I use shortcuts for everything, but it's something you get used to over time. I started on a G3, then went to a G4, and then the Cheese-grater machines, with stints on the dustbin and mac mini. Started on OS Tiger all the way up to Yosemite, and that's the last I have used. Those old nipple mice were terrible lol.
    I started on Panther with some OS9 for good measure...kots.

Nipple mice were fixed easily on a jean pant. Life hack right there, but much prefer the Magic Mouse.
    Hidden Content

10. Saying Thanks:

Jer1cho (September 27th, 2018)  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12