Thread: ISP Afrika

Experience

Default ISP Afrika

Anyone use ISP Afrika in here? thinking of their wireless fibre packages... spoke to a guy and he said their contention ration is 10:1 which seems good?

Anyone have any feedback on them?

I know its wireless and not the best for gaming but I live in black hole and have crappy internet.

Experience

I've got fibre with them so unfortunately can't give you a like for like comparison. Service levels I guess are acceptable, they try and help but seems that the technical knowledge is sometimes missing with the lower level support. Network has been pretty good although I've experienced some latency problems the last while.

3. Saying Thanks:

Diego_1za (August 24th, 2018)  

The Division
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mvz View Post
    I've got fibre with them so unfortunately can't give you a like for like comparison. Service levels I guess are acceptable, they try and help but seems that the technical knowledge is sometimes missing with the lower level support. Network has been pretty good although I've experienced some latency problems the last while.
    I guess we all experience latency issues in ZA I have fibre at home 100/100 and I still get latency issue sometime.

In PVP a second can cost your life in game. I played Star Wars Battlefont and got really bad connectivity at some point, but then we realized that it isn't always the internet connection but our connection to EA server ... sometime you die before you even know it because of both those reasons.

Experience

I would have replied sooner, but I had to bounce my ISP Afrika connection

I too live in a black hole ( till end Sept when fiber gets switched on ) and I'm with ISP Afrika as a result, using their wireless 10/10 offering. Honestly I've had nothing but trouble with them. For the first 2 weeks the connection rocked, then started having issues which persisted for months. I'm well aware of everything that brought said troubles about and I'll spare you the detail. But long story short, I'll be dropping them like a hot potato the moment fiber goes live

P.S. their contention ratio is A LOT higher than 10:1. They service a good percentage of our neighborhood and only have a 100Mb connection ( at last check ) from their high site to their office. When people start to stream, my connection might as well be dial-up

6. Saying Thanks:

Diego_1za (September 3rd, 2018)  

Experience

Quote Originally Posted by D13H03RS3UN View Post
    I guess we all experience latency issues in ZA I have fibre at home 100/100 and I still get latency issue sometime.

In PVP a second can cost your life in game. I played Star Wars Battlefont and got really bad connectivity at some point, but then we realized that it isn't always the internet connection but our connection to EA server ... sometime you die before you even know it because of both those reasons.
    Yeah I hear you but getting 200+ ping while playing on the local BF1 servers is not on. Had my data with Afrihost for forever, never had latency issues but switched over to ISPAfrika uncapped at the start of this month, latency on the local servers was fine for the first 2 weeks of the month or so but has progressively gotten worse.

8. Saying Thanks:

Diego_1za (September 3rd, 2018)  

The Division
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mvz View Post
    Yeah I hear you but getting 200+ ping while playing on the local BF1 servers is not on. Had my data with Afrihost for forever, never had latency issues but switched over to ISPAfrika uncapped at the start of this month, latency on the local servers was fine for the first 2 weeks of the month or so but has progressively gotten worse.
    Well Yeah I don't know about ISPAfrika, seems like they are over advertising a bit. I am with Vumatel/Wiru and have had really good service etc. I guess the more clients an ISP gets the more they have to rate limit and shape bandwidth (the unspoken truth about internet cap in SA).