Thread: Joaquin Phoenix is "The Joker"

Game IDs
    Experience

Default Joaquin Phoenix is "The Joker"

Joaquin Phoenix Is Officially Playing The Joker

One of the strangest projects currently in the works in Hollywood is Todd Phillips' standalone Joker movie, and now it's one giant step closer to becoming an actual reality. There have been rumors floating around for weeks suggesting that the Academy Award-nominated Joaquin Phoenix might sign on to make his first comic book adaptation, and now that suggestion has become a reality. New reports are saying that the actor has finalized his deal and will become the fifth actor to portray the Clown Prince of Crime in live action on the big screen.

This confirmation comes to us from The Hollywood Reporter, which adds that production on the untitled Joker movie is scheduled to start up in the fall. Todd Phillips is writing the script based on a script that he co-wrote along with Scott Silver, and as we learned last summer, legendary filmmaker Martin Scorsese is on board as a producer. We currently don't know exactly what the film will be about, or what to expect from its narrative, but the studio has evidently described it thusly:

"An exploration of a man disregarded by society [that] is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale."

The timing of this development is definitely interesting, as fans everywhere have their calendars marked for a major event next week: San Diego Comic-Con. Warner Bros. always puts on a big show during its annual Saturday morning Hall H presentation, particularly when it comes to their DC Comics properties, and audiences will be expecting a big show this year. There is already high expectations for what may be shown from Aquaman, Shazam!, and Wonder Woman 1984, but perhaps folks should gird themselves for some big announcements regarding this Joker movie as well. It would be a pretty huge move if the studio could bring Joaquin Phoenix and/or Todd Phillips up on stage to briefly discuss what the project on which they're collaborating - perhaps even giving us a title. Hopefully they will also explain how they plan on having the non-DC Extended Universe feature work when the same studio is also planning a DC Extended Universe Joker title starring Jared Leto.

While Joaquin Phoenix is best known for his dramatic work, collecting Oscar nominations for movies like Gladiator, Walk The Line, and The Master, comic book movie aficionados will recognize that this isn't the first time his name has been linked with a major character. Back when it looked like Benedict Cumberbatch was unavailable, there was a lot of buzzing in Hollywood about the possibility of Phoenix playing Doctor Strange in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. That didn't wind up happening, as the production's schedule was adjusted to fit Cumberbatch's, but it's interesting that just a few years later we now find him set up to play one of the greatest, if not the greatest, supervillains of all time.

Alex Baldwin is Thomas Wayne (BatDaddy)

Joaquin Phoenix on the role

Someone's mockup of what it could look like.
    Joker.jpg

Game IDs
    Experience

$55M budget, R-rating and a promise to be "dark", this could be just the thing DC needs to fix it's superhero universe. I'm quite keen, I think JP has the chops to pull this off.

Experience

My understanding was that it was a standalone for Jared Leto?

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Inn3rs3lf View Post
    My understanding was that it was a standalone for Jared Leto?
    That's also being made, but that one exists within the DCEU - ie, fits in with the current storyline etc, including whats happening in Suicide Squad.

This will have nothing to do with that, it won't be tied to existing events in anyway.

Ghost of Sparta
    ∆POLΧA☐Y
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UrBaN View Post
    That's also being made, but that one exists within the DCEU - ie, fits in with the current storyline etc, including whats happening in Suicide Squad.

This will have nothing to do with that, it won't be tied to existing events in anyway.
    But why do that? Will confuse the audience for sure and one will definitely be preferred over the other.

Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by JoE View Post
    But why do that? Will confuse the audience for sure and one will definitely be preferred over the other.
    Iím not totally sure. In my opinion though; this is the only way to do a proper joker movie.

Heath Ledger was fantastic. But the joker is extremely twisted. An R-rated movie is the only way to do the character justice and that cannot happen within the DCEU

Gaming Wizard
    No.1 Pose
    Game IDs
    Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UrBaN View Post

The above is exactly what is wrong with Comic Book everything.

I simply can't apply the cognitive dissonance when watching movies, so I would need to forego one in favour of the other because watching both won't work.

Not in such a short span of time anyway.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - "I am Quiet, I am the absence of words."

8. Saying Thanks:

Inn3rs3lf (August 29th, 2018),  UrBaN (August 29th, 2018)  

Game IDs
    Experience

Default Joaquin Phoenix is "The Joker"

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoN View Post
    The above is exactly what is wrong with Comic Book everything.

I simply can't apply the cognitive dissonance when watching movies, so I would need to forego one in favour of the other because watching both won't work.

Not in such a short span of time anyway.
    See thatís not an issue for me personally. I can enjoy them as two different films. This one, theyíve openly stated is not part of canon, so they can more or less do as they please. Hell, they donít have to do Gotham, they donít have to do Batman; none of that. They will, and with Baldwin playing Wayne, there will be a tie-in. But its essentially a blank, dark, blood-stained slate for them to work on.

Game IDs
    Experience

11. Saying Thanks:

Gouko_Tenrou (August 29th, 2018),  SauRoN (August 29th, 2018),  Uberutang (August 30th, 2018)